SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 26
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 26
Part I General Intelligence
1. Which of the following is not equal to 673?
(a) 6 x 100 + 7 x 9 + 10
(b) 5 x 100 + 17 x 9 + 10
(c) 5 x 100 + 17 x 9 + 20
(d) 6 x 100 + 21 x 3 + 10
2. Priti scored more than Rahul. Yamuna scored as much as Divya. Lokita -scored less than Manju. Rahul scored more than Yamuna. Manju scored less than Divya. Who scored the lowest?
3. A man showed a boy next to him and said “He is the son of my wife’s sister-in-law but I am the only child of my parents.” How is my son related to him?
Directions (Q. Nos. 4 and 5) One / two statements are given, followed by two /three Conclusions I, II and III. You have to consider the statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You hive to decide which of the given conclusions, if any, follow from the given statements. .
4. Statement Sick people need medicine.
I. Healthy people do not need medicine.
II. People keep medicine in their home.
(a) Only Conclusion I follows
(b) Only Conclusion II follows
(c) Both Conclusions I and II follow
(d) Neither Conclusion I nor II follows
I. Some years are centimes.
II. All centuries are decades.
I. Some centuries are years.
II. Some decades are years.
III. No century is a year.
(a) Conclusions I and II follow
(b) Conclusions I and III follow
(c) Only Conclusion I follows
(d) Only Conclusion II follows
6.Choose the right water image of the question figure from the given answer figures.
7. Which one of the following diagrams best depicts the relationship among Earth, Sea and Sun?
8. If each of the letters in the English alphabet is assigned an even numerical value by giving A = 2, B = 4 and so on, what would be the total value of the letters for the word ‘LADY’ when similarly coded?
9. If the word ‘LEADER’ is coded as 20-13-9-12-13-26, how would you write ‘LIGHT’?
10. If. the first and second letters in the word ‘COMMUNICATIONS’ were interchanged, also the third and the fourth letters, the fifth and sixth letters and so on, which letter would be the tenth letter counting from your right? ‘
Directions (Q. Nos. 11-13) In following questions, find the odd number/letters / word from the given alternatives.
Directions (Q. Nos. 14-16) In these questions, select the related word/ letters/numberfrom the given alternatives.
14. Sheep : Mutton :: Deer: ?
15. AB: ZY : :CD:?
17. Which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following?
1. Plant 2. Seed
3. Fruit 4. Seedling
(a) 3, 2, 4,1
(b) 4, 2, 3,1
(c) 2, 3,1,4
Directions (Q. Nos. 18 and 19) In these questions, select the missing number from the given responses.
20. From the given alternatives select the word which cannot be formed using the letters given in the word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 21 and 22) In these questions, a series is given, with one term missing. Choose the correct alternative from the given ones that will complete the series.
21. 7,12,22, 42,82,?
22. ABC, PQR, DEF, STU, ?
23. Sharda started to move in the direction of South. After moving 15 m, she turned to her left-twice and moved 15 m each time. Now hoW far is she and in which direction from her starting point?
(a) 20 m, West
(b) 15 m, East
(c) 15 m, South
(d) 30 m, East
24.Identify the region that represents students study Biology and Computer not Mathematics.
25. Mahesh is 60 yr old. Ram is 5 yr junior to Mahesh and 4 yr senior to Raju. The youngest brother of Raju is Babu and he is 6 yr junior to him. What is the age difference between Mahesh and Babu?
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-28) In the following questions, sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four alternatives.
26. The sparrows took no ___bread.
(a) notice of
(b) notice about
(c) notice from
(d) notice to
27. He shows great ability___Mathematics.
28. There ___any message from my teacher since she moved to London.
(c) hasn’t been
(d) haven’t been
Directions (Q. Nos. 29-31) Choose the alternative which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 32-34) In the following questions, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (a), (b) and (c) which may improve the sentence. Choose the. correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed,your answer is (d).
32. He comes here often, don’t he ?
(a) is he
(b) does he
(c) doesn’t he
(d) No improvement
33. She did not like the movie, nor I did.
(a) nor did I
(b) nor I liked it
(c) nor i like it
(d) No improvement
34. The Victorian Era noted the end of human dependence on religion.
(d) No improvement
Directions (Q.NOS. 35-44) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. First read the passage over and try to understand what it is about. Then, fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
Happy is the man who (35) the habit of reading when he is young. He has secured a life-long source of (36) instruction and inspiration. So long as he has his beloved books he need (37) feel lonely. He always has a pleasant (38) of leisure moments. He is the (39) of wealth more precious than gold. (40) indeed is the man who does not read and (41) is his life. (42) gives the highest kind of pleasure.’When we are (43) it is a healthy recreation to lose (44) in the company of books.
Directions (Q- Nos. 45-47) In the following questions, find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d).
45. Each and every person (a)/have (b)/to do this work. (c)/No error (d)
46. It is (a)/a quarter to ten (b)/by my watch, (c)/ No error (d)
47. My cousin with her parents (a)/have gone (b)/to Chennai (c)/No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 48-50) Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentences.
48. Group of people living together in the same locality.
49. The height of an object above sea level.
50. Something that is difficult to believe.
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51.A student finds the average of 10, 2 digit numbers. If the digits of one of the numbers is interchanged, the average increases by 3.6. The difference between the digits of the 2-digit numbers is
52.A trader buys goods at 20% discount on market price. If he wants to make a profit of 25% after allowing a discount of 20%, by what per cent should his marked price be greater than the original marked price?
53.A fruit-seller buys some oranges and by selling 40% of them he realises the cost price of all the oranges. As the oranges being to grow over ripe, he reduces the price and sells 80% of the remaining oranges at half the previous rate of profit. The rest of the oranges being rotten are thrown away. The overall percentage of profit is
54.A man spends 75% of his income. His income increases by 20% and his expenditure also increases by 10%. The percentage of increase in his savings is
55.If x = √5 + 2, then the value 2x²-3x-2/3x²-4x-3 is equal to
56.If sin 21° = x/y, then sec 21° – sin 69° is equal to
57.If sec α + tan α = 2, then the value of sin a is (assume that 0< α <90°)
58.If 3 sin θ + 5 cos θ = 5, then the value of 5 sin θ – 3 cos θ will be
59.Three men A, B, C working together can do a job in 6 h less time than A alone, in 1 h less time than B alone and in one half the time needed by C when working alone. Then, A and B together can do the job in
(a) 2/3 h
(b) 3/4 h
(c) 3/2 h
(d) 4/3 h
60.A wire of length 44 cm is first bent to form a circle and then rebent to form a square. The difference of the two enclosed areas is
61. A shopkeeper listed the price of goods at 30% above the cost price. He sells half the stock at this price, 1/4 of the stock at a discount of 15% and the remaining at 30% discount. His overall profit is
(a) 15 3/8%
(c) 15 3/5%
(d) 15 2/3%
62. The volumes of a right circular cylinder and a sphere are equal. The radius of the cylinder and the diameter of the sphere are equal. The ratio of height and radius of the cylinder is
(a) 3 :1
63. ABCis an equilateral triangle and O is its circumcentre, then the ∠AOC is
64. ABCD is a cyclic quadrilateral. The side AB is extended to E in such a way that BE = BC. If ∠ADC = 70°, ∠BAD = 95°, then ∠DCE is equal to
65. In ΔPQR, S and T are points on sides PR and PQ respectively such that ∠PQR = ∠PST. If PT = 5 cm, PS = 3 cm and TQ = 3 cm, then length of SR is
(a) 5 cm
(b) 6 cm
(c) 31/3 cm
(d) 41/3 cm
Directions (Q. Nos. 66-68) Study the following graph which shows income and expenditure of a company over the years and answer the questions.
66. The difference in profit (Rs in crore) of the company during 2007 and 2008 is
67. In how many years was the expenditure of the company more than the average expenditure of the given years?
68. The percentage increase in income of the company from 2007 to 2008 is
(c) 33 1/3
(d) 42 6/7
69.Which of the following represents a correct proportion?
(b) 13:11 = 5: 4
(c) 30:45 = 13:24
(d)3:5 = 2:5
70.If A’s salary is 50% more than that of B, then B’s salary is less than A’s by
(c) 45 1/3%
(d) 33 1/3%
72.The compound interest on a certain sum of money for 2 yr at 5% per annum is RS 410. The simple interest on the same sum at the same rate and for the same time is
(a) Rs 400
(b) Rs 300
(c) Rs 350
(d) Rs 405
73. To attract more visitors, zoo authority announces 20% discount on every ticket which costs 25 paise. For this reason, sale of ticket increases by 28%. Find the percentage of increase in the number of visitors,
(d) No change
74. A boat goes 24 km upstream and 28 km downstream, in 6 h. It goes 30 km upstream and 21 km downstream in 6 h and 30 min. The speed of the boat in still water, is
(a) 8 km/h
(b) 9 km/h
(c) 12 km/h
(d) 10 km/h
75. 60 students were asked to choose their favourite sport. Their distribution is as follows.
Football – 15, Cricket – 12, Swimming -12
Basketball -11, Athletics – 10
The data is illustrated in a pie chart.
What angle should be used for football?
Part IV General Awareness
76.Which one is not a function of money?
(a) Price stabilisation
(b) Value measurement
(c) Transfer of value
(d) Store of value
77.Which state in India occupies the same ranking position in respect of area and population?
78.Contour line is the imaginary line joining places of equal
79.Lake formed in a cut off river meander is called
(a) Ox-Bow Lake
(b) Crater Lake
(c) Playa Lake
(d) Meteoric Lake
80.Which one of the following is the principal source of information on Asoka’s campaign against Kalinga?
(b) Rock Edict XIII
(c) Pillar Edjct VII
81.The causal organism of Polio is
(a) a worm
(b) a bacteria
(c) a fungi
(d) a virus
82.In the nuclear reactors moderators are used to
(a) slow down the neutrons
(b) generate neutrons
(c) accelerate neutrons
(d) absorb neutrons
83.Instrument used to study the behaviour of a vibrating string is
84.Sandstone is metamorphosed to
85. The percentage of nitrogen present in ammonium sulphate is
(c) 21 %
86. Identify the odd term amongst the following groups.
(b) Coaxial cable
(c) Optical fibre
(d) Twisted pair wire
87. The vacancy of the office of the President must be filled within
(a) 1 month
(b) 3 months
(c) 6 months
(d) 12 months
88. The ‘One Straw Revolution’ was written by
(a) Norman Borlaug
(b) Masanobu Fukuoka
(c) Richael Carlson
(d) MS Swaminathan
89. The natural disaster in. which carbon dioxide suddenly erupts from a deep lake water is known as
90. In which part of the Indian Constitution, the fundamental duties are enshrined?
91. Cosmetic powders are prepared from
92. In which state are lions found in large numbers?
(b) Tamil Nadu
(d) Madhya Pradesh
93. The’principle due to which circular patches of light is seen under a tree during day time, is similar to that of image formation by a
(a) concave lens
(c) photographic camera
(d) convex lens
94. In MS-Word, Replace option conies under the menu.
95. Decibel is used to measure the intensity of
(a) magnetic field
96. The natural environment refers to
(a) the living organisms and non-living objects or factors in an area undisturbed by human activity
(b) the atmosphere in a forest
(c) the plants and animals in a forest
(d) the atmosphere of an area—a forest, lake or an ocean
97. Too much consumption of tea or coffee can result in deficiency of
(a) vitamin B12
(c) vitamin C
98. Economic problem arises because of
(a) scarcity of means
(b) multiplicity of resources
(c) scarcity of wants
(d) over population
99. Under which Article of the Constitution, seats are reserved for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in Panchayats?
100. Who has been appointed as the new Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)?
(a) Deepak Gupta
(b) BS Bassi
(c) Madhav Saxena
(d) Alka Sirohi