NEET AIPMT Chemistry Chapter Wise Solutions – Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
1. The correct increasing order of basic strength for the following compounds is (NEET 2017)
2. Which of the following reactions is appropriate for converting acetamide to methanamine? (NEET 2017)
(a) Hoffmann hypobromamide reaction
(b) Stephen’s reaction
(c) Gabriel phthalimide synthesis
(d) Carbylamine reaction
3. Which one of the following nitro-compounds does not react with nitrous acid?
4. A given nitrogen-containing aromatic compound ‘A’ reacts with Sn/HCl, followed by HNO2, to give an unstable compound ‘3’. ‘B\ on treatment with phenol, forms a beautiful coloured compound ‘C’ with the molecular formula C2H10N2O. The structure of compound ‘A’ is (NEET-II 2016)
5. The correct statement regarding the basicity of arylamines is (NEET-I 2016)
(a) arylamines are generally more basic than alkylamines because of aryl group
(b) arylamines are generally more basic than alkylamines, because the nitrogen atom in arylamines is xp-hybridised
(c) arylamines are generally less basic than alkylamines because the nitrogen lone-pair electrons are delocalised by interaction with the aromatic ring π-electron system
(d) arylamines are generally more basic than alkylamines because the nitrogen lone-pair electrons are not delocalised by interaction with the aromatic ring n-electron system.
6. The product formed by the reaction of an aldehyde with a primary amine is (NEET-I 2016)
(a) carboxylic acid
(b) aromatic acid
(c) Schiff’s base
7. The following reaction is known by the name (2015)
(a) Perkin’s reaction
(b) Acetylation reaction
(c) Schotten-Baumann reaction
(d) Friedel-Craft’s reaction.
8. Method by which aniline cannot be prepared is (2015)
(a) degradation of benzamide with bromine in alkaline solution
(b) reduction of nitrobenzene with H2/Pd in ethanol
(c) potassium salt of phthalimide treated with chlorobenzene followed by hydrolysis with aqueous NaOH solution
(d) hydrolysis of phenylisocyanide with acidic solution.
9. The number of structural isomers possible from the molecular formula C3H9N is (2015)
10. The electrolytic reduction of nitrobenzene in strongly acidic medium produces (2015, Cancelled)
11. In the following reaction, the product (A) is
12. Which of the following will be most stable
13. Nitrobenzene on reaction with cone. HNO3/H2SO4 at 80-100°C forms which one of the following products?
(a) 1, 4-Dinitrobenzene
(b) 1, 2, 4-Trinitrobenzene
(c) 1, 2-Dinitrobenzene
(d) 1, 3-Dinitrobenzene (NEET 2013)
15. On hydrolysis of a “compound”, two compounds are obtained. One of which on treatment with sodium nitrite and hydrochloric acid gives a product which does not respond to iodoform test. The second one reduces Tollens reagent and Fehling’s solution. The “compound” is
16. Some reactions of amines are giyen. Which one is not correct?
17. An organic compound (C3H9N) (A), when treated with nitrous acid, gave an alcohol and N2 gas was evolved. (A) on warming with CHCl, and caustic potash gave (C) which on reduction gave isopropylmethylamine. Predict the structure of (A). (2012)
18. What is the product obtained in the following reaction? (2011)
19. Which of the following compounds is most basic? (Mains 2011)
20. Aniline in a set of the following reactions yielded a coloured product Y.
21. Which of the following statements about primary amines is false? (2010)
(a) Alkyl amines are stronger bases than aryl amines.
(b) Alkyl amines react with nitrous acid to produce alcohols.
(c) Aryl amines react with nitrous acid to produce phenols.
(d) Alkyl amines are stronger bases than ammonia.
22. Predict the product.
23. Nitrobenzene can be prepared from benzene by using a mixture of cone. HNO3 and cone. H2SO4. In the mixture, nitric acid acts as a/an (2009)
(d) reducing agent.
24. In a reaction of aniline a coloured product C was obtained.
25. Which one of the following on reduction with lithium aluminium hydride yields a secondary amine? (2007)
(a) Methyl isocyanide
(c) Methyl cyanide
26. Which of the following is more basic than aniline? (2000)
27. Electrolytic reduction of nitrobenzene in weakly acidic medium gives (2005)
28. Aniline in a set of reactions yielded a product D.
29. The final product C, obtained in this reaction
33. Amides may be converted into amines by a reaction named after (1999)
34. Phenyl isocyanides are prepared by which of the following reaction? (1999)
(a) Reimer-Tieman reaction
(b) Carbylamine reaction
(c) Rosenmund’s reaction
(d) Wurtz reaction
35. Aniline is reacted with bromine water and the resulting product is treated with an aqueous solution of sodium nitrite in presence of dilute hydrochloric acid. The compound so formed is converted into a tetrafluoroborate which is subsequently heated dry. The final product is (1998)
(c) 1, 3, 5-tribromobenzene
(d) 2, 4, 6-tribromofluorobenzene.
36. The compound obtained by heating a mixture of ethyl amine and chloroform with ethanolic potassium hydroxide (KOH) is
(a) an amide
(b) an amide and nitro compound
(c) an ethyl isocyanide
(d) an alkyl halide.
37. An aniline on nitration gives
38. Which product is formed, when acetonitrile is hydrolysed partially with cold concentrated HCl? (1995)
(a) Methyl cyanide
(b) Acetic anhydride
(c) Acetic acid
39. When aniline reacts with oil of bitter almonds (C6H5CHO) condensation takes place and benzal derivative is formed. This is known as (1995)
(a) SchifTs base
(b) Benedict’s reagent
(c) Million’s base
(d) SchifTs reagent.
40. The action of nitrous acid on an aliphatic primary amine gives (1994)
(a) secondary amine
(b) nitro alkane
(d) alkyl nitrite.
41. Which one of the following order is wrong with respect to the property indicated? (1994)
(a) Benzoic acid > phenol > cyclohexanol (acid strength)
(b) Aniline > cyclohexylamine > benzamide (basic strength)
(c) Formic acid > acetic acid > propanoic acid (acid strength)
(d) Fluoroacetic acid > chloroacetic acid > bromoacetic acid (acid strength)
42. For carbylamine reaction, we need hot alcoholic KOH and (1992)
(a) any primary amine and chloroform
(b) chloroform and silver powder
(c) a primary amine and an alkyl halide
(d) a monoalkylamine and trichloromethane.
43. Indicate which nitrogen compound amongst the following would undergo Hofmann reaction (i.e., reaction with Br2 and strong KOH) to furnish the primary amine (R-NH2)? (1989)
(d) R – CO – NHOH
Leave a Reply