SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 30
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 30
Part I General Intelligence
1. Four villages A, B, C and D lie in a straight line. D is 10 km from B. A is exactly between D and C and C from D is 2 km more than it is from B. How far is C from B?
(a) 4 km
(b) 6 km
(c) 8 km
(d) 2 km
2. Anand travels 10 km from his home to the East to reach his school. Then, he travels 5 km to the South to reach his father’s shop, after school. He, then travels 10 km to the West to help his uncle. How far and in which direction is he from his home?
(a) 10 km, North
(b) 5 km, South
(c) 5 km, East
(d) 10 km, West
3. If TRANSFER is coded as RTNAFSRE, then how ELEPHANT be coded in that code language?
Directions (Q Nos. 4 and 5) In the following questions, a series is given with one term missing. Choose the correct alternative from the given ones that will complete the series.
5. BMX, DNW, FOU, ?
Directions (Q. Nos. 6-8) In the following questions, select the related word/letters/numbers from the given alternatives.
6. Marathon: Race :: Hibernation: ?
7. ENGINE : CLEGLC :: ? : KMRMP
8. 20: 11:: 102:?
9. Which of the following interchange of signs would make the equation correct?
8 x 6 + 2 = 22
(a) +, x, 2 and 6
(b) +, x, 2 and 8
(c) +, x, 6and 8
(d) +, x, 2 and 22
10. If – stands for addition, + stands for subtraction, ÷ stands for multiplication and x stands for division, then which one of the following equation is correct?
(a) 50 x 5 ÷ 2 – 30 + 25 = 25
(b) 50 – 30 + 5 ÷ 2 x 30 = 25
(c) 40 + 35 x 2 – 50 ÷ 30 = 95
(d) 30 x 2 – 25 + 50 ÷ 5 = 100
11. Arrange the following words as per order in the dictionary.
1. Euphrasy 2. Eupepsy
3. Euphonic 4. Eugenic
(c) 4, 2, 3, 5,1
(d) 3,5, 2,4,1
12. In a row, 25 trees are planted at equal distance from each other. The distance between 1st and 25th tree is 30 m. What is the distance between 3rd and 15th tree?
(a) 8 m
(b) 15 m
(c) 16 m
(d) 18 m
Directions (Q. Nos. 13-15) In the following questions, find the odd number/letters/number pair from the given alternatives.
(a) The Mongols
(b) The Huns
(c) The Shaks
(d) The Dravidians
(a) BCD NML
16.From the given alternative words, select the word which can be formed using the letters of the given word. ESTABLISHMENT
17. Select the missing number from the given responses.
18. I. Apples cost more than oranges.
II. Apples cost less than mangoes.
III. Mangoes cost more than apples and oranges.
If the first two statements are true, then third is
19. Which one of the following diagrams best illustrates the relationship between Criminals, Pick pocketers and Arsonists?
20. Study the figure and find the region representing persons, who are Educated and Employed but not confirmed.
(a) a, c
(b) a, b, c
(c) b, d
(d) a, d, c
21. According to a code if ‘Businessman are exporting diamonds’ is 1,2,3,4; ‘They are in demand’ is 4,5,6,7; ‘Demand dollars for diamonds’ is 1,5,8,9 and ‘Businessman pay in dollars’ is 2,6,9, 10. What is code for ‘Pay’?
22. A word is represented by only one set of numbers as given in any one of the alternatives. The sets of numbers given in the alternatives are represented by two classes of alphabets as in two matrices given below. The columns and rows of Matrix-I are numbered from 0 to 4 and that of Matrix-II are numbered from 5 to 9. A letter from these matrices can be represented first by its row and next by its column, e.g., ‘F’ can be represented by 01,12 etc., and ‘E’ can be represented by 66,77 etc. Similarly, you have to identify the set for the word given TOYOTA.
(a) 95, 75, 96, 26,14, 82
(b) 76, 69, 79, 57,16, 31
(c) 58, 57, 59, 69, 67, 42
(d) 14, 23, 69, 31,57, 69
23. The ratio of the present ages of Sunita and Vinita is 4:5.6 yr hence the ratio of their ages will be 14 :17. What will be the ratio of their ages 12 yr hence?
24. Which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following?
1. Wood 2. Nature
3. Furniture 4. Forest
(a) 5,1,2, 4, 3
(c) 4, 1,5,2, 3
25. A man walks 20 m towards East and then he turns to South and walks 50 m. Again he turns to East and walks 30 m. After this, he turns to North and walks 170 m. Now, how far is he from his starting point?
(a) 130 m
(b) 150 m
(c) 140 m
(d) 160 m
Part II English Language
Directions (Q.Nos. 26-28) Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase underlined in the sentence.
26. He burnt his fingers by interfering in his neighbor’s affair.
(a) got himself into trouble
(b) burnt himself
(c) got rebuked
(d) got himself insulted .
27. With my limited means, to think of buying a house in Mumbai is crying for the moon.
(a) wishing for something impossible
(b) crying in vain
(c) wishful thinking
(d) living in a fool’s paradise
28. He is a nationalist to the core.
Directions (Q.Nos. 29 and 30) Choose the word which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q.Nos. 31 and 32) Choose the word which is similar in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q.Nos. 33-36) Choose the correct alternative out of the four.
33. The……of the middle school is a woman of….
(a) Principles, Principal
(b) Principals, Principal
(c) Principal, Principle
(d) Principle, Principals
34. With the changing times, most of the students have become smarter. They are …..and want to take only those courses
which they find rewarding.
35. Student parking should be…….Students should not be charged to buy parking stickers.
36. If you have roses growing in your garden, you can make a lovely…. of flowers at home.
Directions (Q.NOS. 37-39) Find out which part of a sentence has an error. If there is no error, your answer is (d).
37. The law should specifically (a)/ provide a clause (b)/ to protect animals from poachers, (c)/ No error (d)
38. What kind (a)/ of a man (b)/ are you? (c)/ No error (d)
39. Much water (a)/ has flown (b)/ under this bridge, (c)/ No error(d)
Directions (Q.Nos. 40-42) Find the correctly spelt word.
Directions (Q.Nos. 43-45) Choose die one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
43. One who studies mankind
44. An opinion contrary to popular belief
45. A collection of poems
Directions (Q.Nos. 46-50) First read the passage aver and try to understand what it is about Then fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
Smoking is the biggest preventable (46) to mankind. Many serious (47) including lung cancer, bronchitis and heart attack are (48) to smoking habits. Smoking in any form whether cigarette, cigar pipe, bidi or tobacco chewing has been (49) as a major (50) factor for heart attack
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51. If 19 is subtracted from a two digit number, then resulting number is two-third of the original number. What is the sum of two digits of the number?
52.The simplified form of [√7 + 4√3 – √3]is
53. The average temperature on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday was 25°. The average temperature on Thursday, Friday and Saturday was 24°. If the temperature on Saturday was 27°, what Was the temperature on Wednesday? .
54.A man covers half of his journey at 6km/hr and the remaining half at 3 km/h. His average speed is
(a) 9 km/h
(b) 4.5 km/h
(c) 4 km/h
(d) 3 km/h
55. If 10 men and 6 boys do a work in 20 days and 12 men and 4 boys completes the same work in 18 days, in how many days will 8 men and 8 boys complete the work?
56. If the simple interest on a sum of money for 2 yr at 5% per. annum is Rs 50, what will be the compound interest on the same sum at the same rate for die same time?
57. A man sells an article at a profit of 20%. If he had bought it at 20% less and sold for Rs 5 less, he could have gained 25%. Find the cost price of the article.
58. Three equal glasses are filled with mixtures o? spirit and water. The ratio of spirit and water is given below
1st glass =3:4
2nd glass =4:5
and 3rd glass =5:6
The contents of three glasses are emptied into a single vessel. What is the ratio of spirit to water in the mixture now?
59. The price of a jewel, passing through three hands, rises on the whole by 65%. If the first and the second sellers earned 20% and 25% profit respectively, then find the percentage profit earned by the third seller?
60. A train passes a post in 8 s and a bridge of length 200 m 24 s. The length of the train is
(a) 120 m
(b) 80 m
61. If x=√5+√3/√5-√3 and y=√5-√3/√+√3,then (x+y) equals
62. The area of the trapezium is 312 cm², then the distance between the parallel sides whose lengths are 21 cm and 27 cm respectively is
63. The diameter of a circle is increased by 3 cm, then the ratio of new radius to the new circumference will be
(a)2π : 1
(c) 2 : π
(d) 1: 2π
64. If x =√3+1/√3-1 and y =√3-1/√3+1 the value of x²+y² is
67.If in a Δ ABC, the medians CD and BE inter sect each other at O, then the ratio of the areas of Δ ODE and Δ ABC is
68.If x varies inversely as (y²-1) and is equal to 24, when y =10, then the value of x, when y = 5, is
69. The value of sin²5°+sin²25°+sin²45°+sin²65°+sin²85° is equal to
70. The value of (sin² 1°+sin² 3°+sin² 5°+…+sin² 85°+sin² 87°+sin² 89°) is
71. The angle of elevation of the top of a tower from a point A on the ground is 30°. Chi moving a distance of 20 m towards the foot of the tower to a point B, the angle of elevation increases to 60°. The height of the tower is
(a) √3 m
(b) 5√3 m
(c) 10√3 m
(d) 20√3 m
72. The area of a sector is 80 m². The radius of the circle is 16 m. Find the angle of the sector.
Directions (Q. NOS. 73-75) Study the following graph carefully and answer the following questions that follow
73. For how many years, the per cent rise was lower than the average of the per cent rise over the given years? .
74. For which of the given years, the per cent rise (from the previous year) was the least? [Years 2001 mid 2003 are not to be considered.]
(d) Couldn’t be determined
75. If the production in year 1998 Was 1000 units, how much was the production in year 2002?
(a) 35280 unit
(b) 64680 unit
(c) 46200 unit
(d) None of these
Part IV General Awareness
76. Who was the first Indian to be elected to the British Parliament?
(a) Dadabhai Naoroji
(b) Gopai Krishna Gokhale
(c) Bipin Chandra Pal
(d) Lala Lajpat Rai
77. Who introduced the permanent settlement in Bengal?
(a) Lord Cornwallis
(b) Lord Dalhousie
(c) William Bentinck
(d) Lord Curzon
78. The Swadeshi Movement was launched
(a) as a protest against division of Bengal
(b) with a view to improve the economic condition of the people by encouraging consumption of Indian goods
(c) as a protest against the massacre of Indian people at Jallianwala Bagh
(d) due to the failure of the British Government to introduce responsible Government in India
79. In which part of the Constitution is welfare State has been well defined?
(b) Directive Principles
(c) Schedule VIII
(d) Fundamental Rights
80. How many members of the Rajya Sabha retire every after two years?
81. Article…………..of the Constitution deals with the procedure for amendment of the Indian Constitution.
82. Mangrove forests are found in
(b) Sunderban Delta
(c) Lower Himalayan Ranges
(d) Western Ghats
83. Rows of trees grown along the coastal areas to reduce the impact of cyclones are known as
(a) Wind breaks
(b) Protection forests
(d) Shelter belts
84. Which racial group does the tribals of Andaman Islands resemble?
85. Atmospheric pressure everted on Earth is due to
(a) rotation of Earth
(b) revolution of Earth
(c) gravitational pull
(d) uneven heating of Earth
86. Khasi and Garo Tribes mainly live in
87. What does the letter ‘e’ denotes in the term ‘e-banking’?
(a) Essential Banking
(b) Economic Banking
(c) Electronic Banking
(d) Expansion Banking
88. Which of the following is the Regulator of the credit rating agencies in India?
89. Pencillin is extracted from
90. Which is the effect of antigen in an ill person?
(a) It increases the production of WBC
(b) It increases the production of antibiotics
(c) It increases the production of anti-serum against bacteria
(d) It prevents the growth of bacteria
91. Which among the following helps in circulation of blood?
(b) Blood platelets
92. Which among the following elements increases the absorption of water and calcium in plants?
93. Pituitary gland is located in
94. Instrument used to measure the force and velocity of the wind is
95. Which of the following statements is true when we see ‘rainbow’?
(a) We face Sun and raindrops
(b) The Sun remains behind us and we face raindrops
(c) In light rainfall, we face Sun
(d) The sky remains clear and the Sun is at lower position in the sky
96. Our bones and teeth are generally made of
(a) Tricalcium phosphate
97. How much calorie of energy is released by a boiled egg?
98. Onion is a modified form of
(d) None of these
99. The section of the CPU that selects, interprets and monitors the execution of program instructions is
(b) Register unit
(c) Control unit
100. Which among the following is not a Bretton Woods Institution?
(a) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
(b) World Bank
(c) Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
(d) None of the above