NEET AIPMT Chemistry Chapter Wise Solutions – Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers
1. The heating of phenyl methyl ether with HI produces (NEET 2017)
(d) ethyl chloride.
2. Which one is the most acidic compound? (NEET 2017)
can be classified as (NEET-I 2016)
(a) dehydration reaction
(b) Williamson alcohol synthesis reaction
(c) Williamson ether synthesis reaction
(d) alcohol formation reaction.
4. Reaction of phenol with chloroform in presence of dilute sodium hydroxide finally introduces which one of the following functional group?(2015)
5. Which of the following reaction(s) can be used for the preparation of alkyl halides?
(I) CH3CH3OH + HCl —Anh,ZnCl2—->
(II) CH3CH3OH + HCl —–>
(III) (CH3)3COH + HCl —–>
(IV) (CH3)2CHOH + HCl—Anh,ZnCl2—->
(a) (I) and (II) only
(b) (IV) only
(c) (III) and (IV) only
(d) (I), (III) and (IV) only
6. The reaction,
is called (2015, Cancelled)
(a) Etard reaction
(b) Gattermann-Koch reaction
(c) Williamson synthesis
(d) Williamson continuous etherification process.
7. Among the following sets of reactants which one produces anisole? (2014)
(a) CH3CHO ; RMgX
(b) C6H5OH ; NaOH ; CH3I
(c) C6H5OH ; neutral FeCl3
(d) C6H5CH3; CH3COCl; AlCl3
8. Which of the following will not be soluble in sodium hydrogen carbonate? (2014)
(b) Benzoic acid
(d) Benzenesulphonic acid
9. Among the following ethers, which one will produce methyl alcohol on treatment with hot concentrated HI? (NEET 2013)
10. Number of isomeric alcohols of molecular formula C6H140 which give positive iodoform test is (Karnataka NEET 2013)
11. In the following sequence of reactions
ether the end product (C) is (2012)
(d) ethyl alcohol
12. Which of the following compounds can be used as antifreeze in automobile radiators? (Mains 2012)
(a) Methyl alcohol
(d) Ethyl alcohol
13. In the following reactions, (2011)
14. Given are cyclohexanol (I), acetic acid (II), 2,4,6-trinitrophenol (III) and phenol (IV). In these the order of decreasing acidic character will be ( 2010)
(a) III > II > IV > I
(b) II > III > I > IV
(c) II > III > IV > I
(d) III > IV > II > I
15. Which of the following compounds has the most acidic nature? (2010)
16. Among the following four compounds
(ii) Methyl phenol
The acidity order is (2010)
(a) (iv) > (iii) > (i) > (ii)
(b) (iii) > (iv) > (i) > (ii)
(c) (i) > (iv) > (iii) > (ii)
(d) (ii) > (i) > (iii) > (iv)
17. When glycerol is treated with excess of HI, it produces (Mains 2010)
(b) allyl iodide
(d) glycerol triiodide
18. Following compounds are given
Which of the above compound(s), on being warmed with iodine solution and NaOH, will give iodoform? (Mains 2010)
(a) (i), (iii) and (iv)
(b) Only (ii)
(c) (i), (ii) and (iii)
(d) (i) and (ii)
19. Match the compounds given in List I with their characteristic reactions given in List II. Select the correct option. (Mains 2010)
20. Consider the following reaction: (2009)
21. HOCH2 CH2OH on heating with periodic acid gives (2009)
22. Consider the following reaction: (2009)
23. In the reaction:
Which of the following compounds will be formed? (2007)
24. The general molecular formula, which represents the homologous series of alkanols is (2006)
25. Ethylene oxide when treated with Grignard reagent yields (2006)
(a) primary alcohol
(b) secondary alcohol
(c) tertiary alcohol
(d) cyclopropyl alcohol.
26. The major organic product in the reaction is (2006)
27. Which one of the following compounds is most acidic? (2005)
28. Which one of the following will not form a yellow precipitate on heating with an alkaline solution of iodine? (2004)
29. n-propyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol can be chemically distinguished by which reagent (2002)
(c) oxidation with potassium dichromate
30. When phenol is treated with CHCl3 and NaOH, the product formed is (2002)
(c) salicylic acid
(d) benzoic acid.
31. Which of the following is correct? (2001)
(a) On reduction, any aldehyde gives secondary alcohol.
(b) Reaction of vegetable oil with H2S04 gives glycerine.
(c) Alcoholic iodine with NaOH gives iodoform.
(d) Sucrose on reaction with NaCl gives invert sugar.
32. Iodoform test is not given by (1998)
34. Which one of the following compounds is resistant to nucleophilic attack by hydroxyl ions? (1998)
(a) Diethyl ether
(d) Methyl acetate
35. When 3,3-dimethyl-2-butanol is heated with H2S04, the major product obtained is (1995)
(b) cis and trans isomers of 2,3-dimethyl-2-butene
36. On heating glycerol with cone. H2S04, a compound is obtained which has bad odour. The compound is (1994)
(b) formic acid
(c) allyl alcohol
(d) glycerol sulphate.
37. The compound which does not react with sodium is (1994)
38. Ethanol and dimethyl ether form a pair of functional isomers. The boiling point of ethanol is higher than that of dimethyl ether, due to the presence of (1993)
(a) H-bonding in ethanol
(b) H-bonding in dimethyl ether
(c) CH3 group in ethanol
(d) CH3 group in dimethyl ether.
39. Increasing order of acid strength among p-methoxyphenol, p-methylphenol and p-nitrophenol is (1993)
(a) p-nitrophenol, p-methoxyphenol, p-methylphenol
(b) p-methylphenol, p-methoxyphenol, p-nitrophenol
(c) p-nitrophenol, p-methylphenol, p-methoxyphenol
(d) p-methoxyphenol, p-methylphenol, p-nitrophenol.
40. Which one of the following on oxidation gives a ketone? (1993)
(a) Primary alcohol
(b) Secondary alcohol
(c) Tertiary alcohol
(d) All of these.
41. What is formed when a primary alcohol undergoes catalytic dehydrogenation? (1993)
42. When hydrochloric acid gas is treated with propene in presence of benzoyl peroxide, it gives (1993)
(b) allyl chloride
(c) no reaction
(d) n-propyl chloride.
43. How many isomers of C5H11OH will be primary alcohols? (1992)
44. Methanol is industrially prepared by (1992)
(a) oxidation of CH4 by steam at 900°C
(b) reduction of HCHO using LiAIH4
(c) reaction HCHO with a solution of NaOH
(d) reduction of CO using H2 and Zn0-Cr203.
45. HBr reacts fastest with (1992)
46. When phenol is treated with excess bromine water. It gives (1992)
(b) o-and p-bromophenols
47. The compound which reacts fastest with Lucas reagent at room temperature is (1989)
48. Which one of the following compounds will be most readily attacked by an electrophile? (1989)
49. Propene, CH3CH=CH2 can be converted into 1-propanol by oxidation. Indicate which set of reagents amongst the following is ideal for the above conversion? (1989)
(a) KMn04 (alkaline)
(b) Osmium tetroxide (OsO4/CH2Cl2)
(c) B2H6 and alk. H202
50. Phenol is heated with CHCl3 and aqueous KOH when salicylaldehyde is produced. This reaction is known as (1989,88)
(a) Rosenmund’s reaction
(b) Reimer-Tiemann reaction
(c) Friedel-Crafts reaction
(d) Sommelet reaction.
51. Lucas reagent is (1988)
(a) cone. HCl and anhydrous ZnCl2
(b) cone. HN03 and hydrous ZnCl2
(c) cone. HCl and hydrous ZnCl2
(d) cone. HN03 and anhydrous ZnCl2.