SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 5
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 5
Part I General Intelligence
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-3) In the questions given below, select the related letters/words/numbers from the given alternatives.
1. Jewelry : Gold :: Furniture : ?
2. Rig : Ofd :: Met: ?
3. 49 : 64 : : 144 : ?
Directions (Q. Nos. 4-6) In the questions given below, select the one which is different from the other three responses.
(d) Dust-Vacuum cleaner
7. Introducing a girl, Vipin said, “Her mother is the only daughter of my mother-in-law”. How is Vipin related to the girl?
8. From the given alternatives, select the word that cannot be formed using the letters of given word. RECOMMENDATION
Directions (Q.Nos. 9-11) In the questions given below, a series is given, with one number/ letter missing. Choose the correct alternative from the given ones that will complete the series.
9. ELF A, GLHA, ILJA, ?, MLNA
10. SCD, TEF, UGH, ?, WKL
12.In the question given below, which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following?
1. Destination 2. Booking
3. Boarding 4. Travel
(a) 1,2, 3, 4,5
(b) 3, 4, 5, 1,2
(c) 4, 3,1,2, 5
(d) 5, 2, 3, 4,1
13. Select the missing number from the given responses.
14. The number of students in a course increases every year in a college. Find out the number in 2010 from the following information.
15. In the morning, I walked 2 km facing the Sun and stopped. From there, I walked 4 kms on my right hand side, from there I walked 1 km again facing the Sun, from there I walked on my right hand side. In which direction I shall be walking now?
(d) Right hand side
16. Which of the following answer figures indicates best relation between aeroplanes, train, travel?
17. If BASKET is written as TEKSAB, how can PILLOW be written in that code?
18. In a certain code, TOPPER is written as POTREP. In that code, which word will be written as RUBREG?
19. From the following two different appearances of dice, find out which colour is opposite to white?
20. In the question given below, one statement is given followed by two Conclusions I and II. You have to consider the two statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You have to decide which of the given conclusions, if any follow from the given statements?
Rakesh is senior to Rajesh and Rajesh is senior to Rahul.
I. Rakesh is senior to Rahul,
II. Rahul is senior to Rakesh.
(a) Only Conclusion I follows
(b) Only Conclusion II follows
(c) Both Conclusion I and II follow
(d) Neither Conclusion I nor II follows
Directions (Q. Nos. 21 and 22) In the questions given below, select the missing number from the given responses.
21. 1,8,27, ?
22. 48, 82, 44, 77, 40, 72, ?
23. If police is called teacher, teacher is called politician, politician is called doctor, doctor is called lawyer and lawyer is called surgeon, who will arrest the criminals?
24. A word is represented by only one set of numbers as given in anyone of the alternatives. The sets of numbers given in the alternatives are represented by two classes of alphabets as in two matrices given below. The columns and rows of Matrix I are numbered from 0 to 4 and that of Matrix II are numbered from 5 to 9. A letter from these matrices can be represented first by its row and next by its column e.g., A can be represented by 55, 67 etc. and R can be represented by 23, 30, etc. Similarly, identify the set for the word. DART
(a) 69, 67,11,86
(b) 76, 86, 03, 87
(c) 57, 55, 04, 56
(d) 95, 98, 42, 65
25. A, B, C, D, E and F are sitting in a circle facing towards centre. D is between F and B. A is second to the left of D and second to the right of E. Who is facing towards D?
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-28) In the following questions, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (a), (b) and (c) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is required, your answer is (d).
26. You can’t get good marks unless you don’t work hard.
(a) till you don’t
(b) unless you
(c) until you don’t
(d) No improvement
27. I am having two sisters.
(a) have had
(d) No improvement
28. They will arrive today night.
(a) at night
(c) at night today
(d) No improvement
Directions (Q. Nos. 29-31) in the following questions sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four alternatives.
29. I have made a rough___of the report.
30. The reward was not commensurate___the work done by us.
31. I don’t care___the expense; I want the party to be a real success.
Directions (Q. Nos. 32-34) In the following questions choose the word similar in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q.Nos.35-44) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. First read the passage over and try to understand what it is about Then, fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
Without water (35) animal can survive. In desert regions, the greatest (36) to life is drying up. But many creatures are able to make use of (37) little water that exists in arid areas. One of nature’s masterpieces, (38) creatures equipped to (39) with desert life is the hardy camel. There are several stories describing the (40) endurance of these animals. It is said that camels can (41) a distance of about 800 miles in 8 days through continuous travel (42) an intake of single drop of water. The popular (43) in a way is (44). Water is indeed stored there, but in the form of fat.
Directions (Q. Nos. 45-47) In the following questions, find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d).
45. My father gave me (a)/a pair of binocular (b)/on my birthday, (c)/ No error (d)
46. The teacher said that (a)/the building adjacent with his house (b)/needed repairs. (c)/No error (d)
47. Grapes (a)/cannot gathered (b)/from thistles. (c)/No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 48-50) In these questions, four alternatives are suggested for the idiom/phrase given in bold in the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
48.He knows the ins and outs of the case.
(a) entry and exit
(b) separate ways
(d) full details
49.The news of the President’s death spread like wild fire.
(a) spread rapidly
(b) caused a major confusion
(c) was a wild rumour
(d) set the nation on fire
50. When my friend was in Kolkata he ran into an old friend at the theatre.
(b) met accidentally
(c) planned to meet
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51.There are two temples, one on each bank of a river, just opposite to each other. One temple is 54 m high. From the top of this temple, the angles of depression of the top and the foot of the other temple are 30° and 60°, respectively. The height of the temple is
52.If 3x+6/8 – 11x/24 + x/3 = 3x/4 – x+7/24 then the value of x is
53. The surface area of two spheres are in the ratio 1:16. Their radii are in the ratio
(a) 1 :16
(b) 16 :1
(c) 4 :1
(d) 1 : 4
54. If the population of a town is 64000 and its annual increase is 10%, then its correct population at the end of 3 yr will be
55. A certain scheme of investment in simple interest declares that it triples the investment in 8 yr. If you want to quadruple your money through that scheme, you have to invest it for
(a) 12 yr
(b) 11 yr 6 months
(c) 10 yr 8 months
(d) 10 yr
56. The speed of a stream is 3 km/h and the speed of a man in still water is 5 km/h. The time taken by the man to swim 26 km downstream is
(a) 5 1/5h
(b) 8 2/3 h
(d) 13 h
57.A retailer buys a radio for Rs 225. His overhead expenses are Rs 15. He sells the radio for Rs 300. The profit per cent of the retailer is
(a) 33 1/3
(c) 26 2/3
58. A shopkeeper bought 200 articles, each costing same. He sold 30% of the articles at 20% profit and the remaining at 10% profit. If the total profit made by him is Rs 2600, find the cost price of one article.
59. A library has an average number of 510 visitors on Sunday and 240 on other days. The average number of visitors per day in a month of 30 days beginning with Sunday is
60. Two vessels A and B contain milk and water mixed in the ratio 8 : 5 and 5 : 2, respectively. The ratio in which these two mixtures be mixed to get a new mixture containing 69 2/13% milk is 13
(a) 2 : 7
(b) 3 : 5
(c) 5 : 2
(d) 5 : 7
61. 94 is divided into two parts in such a way that the fifth part of the first and the eighth part of the second are in the ratio 3 :4. The first part is
62. Mr. A bought a refrigerator with 16 2/3% discount on the labelled price. Had he bought it with 25% discount, he would have saved Rs 600. At what price did he buy the refrigerator?
63. P is thrice as good a workman as Q and therefore became able to finish a job in 48 days less than Q. Working together, they can do it in
(a) 12 days
(b) 18 days
(c) 24 days
(d) 30 days
64. If √18225 = 135, then the value of
√18225 +√182.25+√1.8225 + √o.018225 is
65. In a circle of radius 21 cm, an arc subtends an angle of 72° at the centre. The length of the arc is
(a) 13.2 cm
(b) 19.8 cm
(c) 21.6 cm
(d) 26.4 cm
66.The x-intercept of the graph of 7x-3y=2 is
67.If x = √3 + √2, then the value of(x+1/x) is
68. An equilateral ΔTQR is drawn inside a square PQRS. The value of the ∠PTS (in degrees), is
69. If a, b and c are the sides of a triangle and a² + b² + c² = ab + bc + ca, then the triangle is
(c) right angled
(d) obtuse angled
70. The distance between the centres of two equal circles, each of radius 3 cm, is 10 cm. The length of a transverse common tangent is
(a) 4 cm
(b) 6 cm
(c) 8 cm
(d) 10 cm
71. In ΔABC,∠A= 30°,∠B = 60°. Find ∠C in circular measure
72. If cos θ + secθ = 2, the value of cos6θ + sec6θ is
Directions (Q.NOS. 73 and 74) The following is a horizontal bar diagram showing the accidents in which two wheelers are involved with other objects. Study the diagram and answer the questions.
73. The percentage of accidents in which pedestrians and cyclists are involved is
74. The percentage by which the accidents involving buses is less than the accidents involving tanker lorry is
75. Two candidates contested in an election. One got 60% of the votes and won by 1600 votes. What is the number of votes polled?
Part IV General Awareness
76.Radioactivity was discovered by
(b) Henri Becquerel
77.Myopia is a disease connected with
78.Who was the founder of Ghadar Party ?
(a) Sachindranath Sanyal
(b) Chandrashekhar Azad
(c) Lala Hardayal
(d) Batukeshwar Dutt
79.Greenhouse effect is the heating up of the Earth’s atmosphere which is due to
(a) the ultraviolet rays
(c) the infra-red rays
80.Who was popularly known as Africa’s Gandhi?
(a) Mir Karzai
(b) Nelson Mandela
(c) Firoz Gandhi
(d) MK Gandhi
81.Which one of the following terms describes not only the physical space occupied by an organism, but also its functional role in the community of organisms?
82.When was the first Central Legislative Assembly constituted?
83.Name the Indian King who warmly received the Portuguese traveller Vasco-da-Gama when he landed at Calicut.
(a) Asaf Jah Ismail Mulk
84.The Great Wall of China was built by
(b) Shih Huang-ti
85.The Easternmost peak of the Himalayas is
(a) Namcha Barwa
(d) Mount Everest
86.Which of the following is not a notable industrial city?
87.An economy which does not have any relation with the rest of the world is known as
(a) socialist economy
(b) closed economy
(c) open economy
(d) mixed economy
88.In which state is the literacy rate of women the highest?
(c) Tamil Nadu
(d) Paschim Benga
89.Which of the following economists is called the Father of Economics?
(d) Adam Smith
90.Rent is a factor payment paid to
91. Name the two non-permanent houses in the parliamentary set-up of India.
(a) The Rajya Sabha and Vidhan Sabha
(b) The Lok Sabha and Vidhan Parishad
(c) The Rajya Sabha and Vidhan Parishad
(d) The Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha
92. The Mandal Commission report refers to
(a) the Other Backward Classes
(b) the Scheduled Tribes
(c) the Minorities
(d) the Scheduled Castes
93. How many Fundamental Rights were granted initially?
94. ‘Atomic theory’ of matter was given by
95. A wheel-barrow is an example of
(a) class III lever
(b) pulley system
(c) class I lever
(d) class II lever
96. CRM in the context of software applications means
(a) Customer’s Relatives Meet
(b) Channel Route Market
(c) Customer Relationship Management
(d) Customer Retention Manager
97. Which one of the following rivers flows between Vindhya-Satpura ranges?
98. Haemoglobin in the blood is a complex protein rich in
99. Clouds float in the atmosphere because of their
(a) low pressure
(b) low density
(c) low viscosity
(d) low temperature
100. The Indian Railways marked the ‘Swachhta Paryavaran Diwas’ (Clean Environment Day) by launching the Swachht Saptah (Cleanliness Week) from which date by the Union Railways Minister?
(a) September 18
(b) September 17
(c) September 19
(d) September 20