Telangana History Library Movement in Telangana
- 1 Telangana History Library Movement in Telangana
- 2 Srikrishnadevarayaandhra Bhasha Nilayam -1901
- 3 Sri Rajaraja Narendraandhra Bhasha Nilayam-1904
- 4 Library meetings
- 5 Nizam Rashtra library movement and The Third meeting of the Andhra Jana Kendram
- 6 Second meeting of the Nizam Rashtra library movement
- 7 Bit Bank
- 8 Objective Bits
As Lord curzon declared the division of Bengal in 1905, protests began nationwide opposing the decision. These protests led to the ‘Vandemataram’ movement which in turn had led to the freedom movement. Maharashtra started celebrating the Ganapati utsavs and sivaji utsavs (celebrations) to increase patriotism and interest towards their moth¬er tongue among the people. In the background of all the above, the youth of Hyderabad state who had no freedom or rights of any sort-started to became aware of their conditions. Scholars of the region felt the need to create educational facilities and to spread literacy among the people, which led to the formation of the library movement in the Telangana region.
According to Suravaram Pratapa reddy. ‘The library movement is the first movement in Telangana’. Like all people oriented activities, the library movement also started with the charity of donors and spread through the region. The details of the first libraries started then are –
It is said that the library at Nagai village, near wadi railway station, was founded by the prathamasekhara, the chalukya king in 1058 A.D. History tells us that it was managed by six librarians
A donor called ‘Somasundara Modaliar’ founded the first library of the Telugu regions in Secunderabad in 1872 A.D.
The among the Telugu people to donate for the library movement was a native of Warangal town Mudigonda Sankararadhya. He founded a library named ‘Sankarananda Grandhalaya’ in kavadiguda of Hyderabad at the Shankarmath in 1872 A.D.
Sankararadhya also started a public library in Secunderabad and he donated his own house to the library-Sabdanusasana Andhra Bhasha Nilayam-in Warangal in 1908 A.D.
Aghoranath chattopadhyaya founded the ‘youngmen’s Improvement society’ (YMIS) in 1879 and established a library in it, for which he purchased several books and magazines regularly. His wife Varada Sundaridevi used to run a night school for women and taught in it. Aghoranath, with the help of his friend maulvi Abdul khayyum found¬ed another organisation called the ‘Brotherhood society’.
The Nizam government took over a civil library (started in 1880) and transformed it into the ‘Asafia state library’ in 1891 A.D. Its founders were Maulvi Abdul Khayyum and the then director of department of education-Nawab Imadul Mulk. Through the hard work of Andhra Maha Sabha later, magazines and books of telugu, Kannada, Marathi, Hindi and other local languages were brought to this library since, 1940. Lakhs of books of different fields like history, culture, finance, social and literature were purchased and preserved in it. This library is the present day state central library in Hyderabad.
The ‘Hindu social club’ was founded in 1892, which helped to solve financial and other problems Telangana History & Culture of Hindu students who went to London for education with government scholar ships.Several rich persons of Maharashtra joined hands in 1895 to develop the Marathi language and culture and founded an organisation called the ‘Bharata Gunavardhaka Samstha’. A library was also established as a part of it.
The ‘Albert reading room was established in Bollaram in 1896A.D.
Srikrishnadevarayaandhra Bhasha Nilayam -1901
An establishment called the ‘Srikrishnadeva rayaandhra Bhasha Nilayam was founded in 1901 A.D. at r Koti in Hyderabad by Munagala Raja Nayini VenkataRanga Rao, Ravichettu Ranga Rao, Komarraju . Lakshmana Rao, Barrister Kottaru Venkata Ramanaidu, Adipudi Somanatha Rao, Mylavarapu Narasimha Sastry, Raghupati Venkata Ratnam Naidu, Adiraju Veerabhadra Rao, R. Madhava Rao, MahaboobSarfaraj, panth Bahadur and others.
The foundation of this society led to the library movement, Andhra movement, awareness among the people of Andhra and ultimately to the freedom movement against the atrocities of the Nizam government.The Nilayam was established at the residence of Ravichettu Rangarao, under the presidentship of parthasarathi Apparao and was run free of cost for 10 years. Later, a new building was constructed for its purpose, to which lakshminarasamma, wife of Ravichettu Rangarao, donated Rs.3000 in her husband’s memory; Munagala Raja donated Rs.1250 and Rs. 750 was given from the Parthasarathi memorial fund. The Bhasha Nilayam constructed its secretary. This library had become the central point of literary and cultural movements in Telangana. It spread education and awareness among the masses and led to many freedom struggles.
In 1906, Ravichettu RangaRao and Komarraju Lakshmana Rao founded the ‘Vijnana chandrikaGrantha Mandali’ and conducted a competition for novels in Telugu. It was the first organisation to conduct such examinations to students in the Telugu region. A society called the “Andhra Bhashojjivani’ Nataka Sangham” worked as a part of this Mandali. The Bhasha Nilayam was also used as the executive office of the ‘Andhra Parishodhaka (research) Mandali’ and as the meeting place of the ‘Andhra sodari samajam’ (sister society).
Sri Rajaraja Narendraandhra Bhasha Nilayam-1904
For all movements in Telangana region, Hanumakonda used to stand in the second place after Hyderabad. At the residence of Pingali Venkata Ramareddy ‘Deshmukh of Vaddepally, a society called Sri Raja Raja Narendraandhra Bhasha Nilayam in 1904 A.D. The then subedar Rai Muralidhar presided over that meeting in which stalwarts like Munagala Raja Nayini Venkata Rangarao, Komarraju Venkata Lakshmana Rao, Ravichettu Rangarao, Mylavarapu Narasimha sastry, Tungaturti Narasimha Rao and others participated. This society was later transferred into its own building in 1934. The construction of the building was conducted by pingali venkata Ramareddy and Madiraju Rama Koteswara Rao.
In 1948, armed struggle started against the Nizam government in 1948, which was suppressed and retaliated by the government and Razakars. The Razakars attacked the libraries in the state in a large scale. As a part of that, they planned an attack on the Raja Raja Narendraandhra Bhasha nilayam. But they were thwarted by pungali Tirumala Rao and other activists, who closed the front door and transferred the books in gunny sack to a safe place. Thus many ancient books were preserved.
Dupati venkata Ramanacharyulu, who worked as the secretary of the nilayam collected several valuable inscriptions, palm leaf manuscripts and statues and preserved them in the Bhasha nilayam. The Balabharati Nilaya Andhra Bhasha bhivardhaka Sangham’ was founded at shamshabad, near Hyderabad in 1905. Another society called the ‘Andhra Samvardhini Grandhalayam’ was established in 1905-1906 A.D.
Mudigonda Sankararadhya founded a library called ‘Sabdanusasana Andhra Bhasha Nilayam’ in 1908 at Mattewada of Warangal district. Some of the palm leaf manuscripts collected by Dupati venkata Ramanacharyulu were preserved in it. Devulapalli Ramanuja Rao, a chief pillar of the Andhra literary parishad served as the secretary of this nilayam between 1943-47. This nilayam served as the distri-bution centre of ‘Telugu patrika’ published by odd- iraju brothers sita Ramachandra Rao and Raghava Rangarao. Later or as the management of this library had become difficult, it was handed over to the ‘Warangal district library association’.
In 1910, the ‘Andhra Bhashanilayam’ was established at khammam. A library called the ‘Sanskrit kalavardhini Grandhalayam’ was founded at Secunderabad in 1913 and peddi sivara- jayya served as its secretary. Another library named – Sri Siddi Malleswara Grandhalayam’ was established at Remidicherla of Madhira Taluq in 1913 and another called ‘Andhra Saraswati Grandha nilayam’ at Nalgonda in 1918. The last was managed by Shabnavisu Venkata Ramanarasimha Rao.
Puwada Venkatappayya founded the ‘Andhra vijnana Prakasini library’ at suryapet in 1918. He also established another society called ‘Krishi Pracharini Grandhamala’ and published Telugu books there. Madiraju Koteswara Rao, Hari Bapayya, Jamalapuram Venkateswara Rao, Vemuganti Krishna Rao and other joined to establish a library named-‘Sri Jnana Vidyut Pravahinyandhra Bhasha . Nilayam’ at Khammam in 1918. Later that had become the ‘Vidyarthi Grandhalayam’. Yallapragada krish- namurty, its librarian and kodati Narayanarao, its executive member jointly started the monthly magazine ‘Jyoti’, and along with it they conducted two schools in the Harijanwada.
The Reddy hostel library was established in 1918 with the support of raja Bahadur Venkata Rama Reddy. Suravaram Pratapreddy rendered voluntary service to it as its secretary between 1924 and 1932. But he lost his post as there was a book in the library written by vir savarkar. Pratapareddy himself wrote a book named- ‘Telanganandhrula Kartavyam’ in which he gave instructions and sug¬gestions as to how to run a library.
In 1919, the adiraju brothers established the ‘Vijnana Pracharini’ printing press at Inugurti. Vattikota Alwar swami founded the ‘Deshoddharaka Grandhamala’ at which he printed books and sold them at very low rates.
Madoori Raghavulu established the ‘Bhasha Kalpavalli’ library in 1920. The Bahiramiya library’ was started in 1921.
Sri Bharathinilayam’ library was founded at Nalgonda and ‘Sri Andhra Vidyarthi sangha library’ was started at khammam in 1921. In 1922, Sri venkateshwara library’ in Garla and ‘Umamaheshwara Andhra Bhasha Nilayam’ library in siddipet were founded. In the same year, the ‘Balasaraswati’ library was established at Afzalgunj, Hyderabad.
Avadhani Krishnaiah founded the ‘Vijnana Pracharini’ library at Manthani in 1923. It has another name -‘Osmania Andhra Bhasha Nilayam’ also. In the Hanuman Mandir at Manthani, the ‘Vaidik vedik’ library was founded in 1923, and also the Balasaraswati’ library. In 1923, konda Venkata Rangareddy started the ‘Vemana Andhra Bhasha Nilayam’ with his own money. ‘Sri yuvajana sangha’ library was established in 1924 at Janagama. Peddi Sivarajaiah started the ‘Pratapa Rudraandhra Bhasha nilayam’ at his own house in 1924 and conducted it’s units 1946. The ‘Andhra Sodari Samaja library’ in 1925; The ‘Adi Hindu library’ in 1926; The ‘Vaisya library’ in 1926; the Jogipeta library at Jogipet in 1930; ‘Sri Sitaramanjaneya Hindu traders’ library