SSC CHSL Topic Wise Study Material – General Intelligence – Direction Sense Test
SSC CHSL Study MaterialSSC CHSL Previous PapersSSC CHSL Practice Workbook
Direction is a measurement of position of one thing with respect to another thing or a reference point. Distance between two points is a measurement of the shortest distance, i.e., the displacement between the two points.
The shortest distance between two points may be different from the total distance covered in going from one point to the other.
The problems based on direction and distance have instructions regarding the movement of a person or an object from a starting point (also called origin) upto an end point (also called destination).
These instructions generally provide magnitude as well as direction of the movement. These questions are designed to test the candidate’s ability to sense direction.
Direction can be classified as main directions and sub-directions.
There are four main directions as shown below
The angle between any two prime directions is 90°.
A direction between two main or prime directions is known as a sub-directions/directions.
There are four sub-directions as given below
1. North-East (N-E)
2. South-East (S-E)
3. South-West (S-W)
4. North-West (N-W)
The angle between any two adjacent sub-directions is 90°.
Representation of Directions
The various directions discussed above are represented on paper as shown below .
Angle formed between a prime direction and a sub-direction is 45°.
Concept of Directions
It is based on the position of the Sun. The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
If we face the Sun when it rises, then our position is as follows
• Direction towards our front = East
• Direction towards our back = West
• Direction towards our left hand = North
• Direction towards our right hand = South
If we face Sunset, then our position is as follows
• Direction towards our back = East
• Direction towards our front = West
• Direction towards our right hand = North
• Direction towards our left hand = South
Concept of Turns
1. Left Turn (Anti-clockwise Turn) When a person turns in a direction opposite to motion of a clock, then this turn is called left turn or anti-clockwise turn.
• When a person goes towards North from his original position and turns anti-clockwise, then it is his left.
2. Right Turn (Clockwise Turn) When a person takes a turn in the direction of motion of clock, then this turn is called right turn or clockwise turn.
• When a person goes towards North and turns clockwise, then it is his right.
Concept of Shadow
In the morning, when the Sun rises in the East, the shadow of any person or object is in the West direction. Similarly, in the evening, when the Sunsets in the West, the shadow of a person or an object is towards the East.
Note At 12:00 noon, there will be no shadow as the rays of the Sun are vertically downwards at that time.
Different types of questions covered in this chapter are as follows
• Finding the Distance
• Finding both the Distance and Direction
Finding the Direction
In this type, problems are based on the final direction of an object with respect to its starting point. It requires the knowledge of main as well as sub-directions and the angle between them.
Example In the morning, I walked 2 km facing the Sun and stopped. From there, I walked 4 km on my right hand side, from there I walked 1 km again facing the Sun, from there I walked on my right hand side. In which direction, I shall be walking now?
SSC (10 + 2) 2012
(d) Right hand side
Example At Sunrise, Amit and Deepak are having a conversation standing in front of each other. The shadow of Deepak is formed towards the right hand of Amit. What direction is Deepak facing?
Finding the Distance
In this type, problems are based on the distance travelled by a person during its journey.
The distance is calculated between the starting and end points. Sometimes Pythagoras theorem is used to calculate the horizontal as well as vertical distances between the points.
According to the Pythagoras theorem, in a right angled triangle,
Example Anita drives from point A towards North and travels 30 km. She, then turns to her right and travels 4 km and then again turns to the right and drives straight for 30 km. How much distance she has to cover to go straight to the starting point? SSC (10 + 2) 2011
(a) 26 km
(b) 8 km
(c) 22 km
(d) 4 km
Example Location of B is North of A and location of C is East of A. The distances AB and AC are 5 km and 12 km, respectively. The shortest distance (in km) between the locations B and C is
Finding both the Distance and Direction
In this type of questions, it is asked to determine both distance and direction.
Example Town D is 12 km towards the North of town A. Town C is 15 km towards the West of town D. Town B is 15 km towards the West of town A. How far and in which direction is town B from town C?
(a) 15 km towards North
(b) 12 km towards North
(c) 3 km towards South
(d) 12 km towards South
1. Kajal left home for a hospital. She travelled 5 km towards East, then turned towards South-East to travel another 10 km, then again she turned towards North-East to travel 10 km and finally, she reached the hospital. In which direction is hospital with respect to her house? SSC(10+2) 2017
2. If Sita walks 10 km towards West, then turned towards South and walked 10 km, then turned East walked 10 km and turned North walked 10 km. How far she is from starting point? SSC (10 + 2) 2015
(a) 40 km
(b) 20 km
(c) 0 km
(d) 10 km
3. Seeta and Geeta started walking from a Point A. Seeta walks 6 km towards North and then takes a right turn and walks 3 km. She, then takes a right turn towards South and walks for 6 km. She again takes a left turn and walks’3 km and reaches a Point B. Geeta walks for 3 km towards West and takes a left turn and walks for 6 km; she takes a left turn and walks 9 km and she reaches at a Point C. How far is the Point B from Point C? SSC (10+2) 2014
(a) 9 km
(b) 6 km
(c) 3 km
(d) 4 km
4. Mr. Das started his journey from his house straight to his friend’s house at a distance of 12 km. On returning he walked 8 km in the same route and turned right and walked 4 km, then he turned to his left and walked 4 km. Finally he turned to his left and walked 2 km. How far was he from his house? SSC (10 + 2) 2014
(a) 6 km
(b) 2 km
(c) 8 km
(d) 4 km
5. A cyclist rides 40 km to the East, turns North and rides 20 km, again turns left and rides 20 km. How far is he from the starting point? SSC (10 + 2) 2014
(a) 0 km
(b) 10 km
(c) 20 km
(d) 30 km
6.One morning Meena started walking towards the Sun. After walking a while she turned towards her left and again towards her left. After walking a while, she turned left. In which direction is she facing now? SSC (10 + 2) 2013
7.After starting from a point, A walks 3 km towards East, that turning to his left he moves 3 km. After this he again turns left and moves 3 km. In which direction is ‘A’ from his starting point? SSC (10+2) 2013
8. Ram goes 15 m North then turns right and walks 20 m, then again turns right and walks 10 m, then again turns right and walks 20 m. How far is he from his original position? SSC (10 +2) 2013
(a) 5 m
(b) 10 m
(c) 15 m
(d) 20 m
1.If ‘South-East’ is called ‘East’, ‘North-West’ is called ‘West’, South-West’ is called ‘South’ and so on, what will ‘North’ be called?
2.If South-East becomes North, North-East becomes West and so on, What will West become?
3.‘A’ is East of B’ and West of ‘C’, ‘H’ is South-West of ‘C’ and ‘B’ is South-East of “X’ who is the farthest West?
4.K is 40 m South-West of L. M is 40 m South-East of L. Then, M is in which direction of K?
5.A man is performing yoga with his head down and legs up. His face is towards the West. In which direction will his left hand be?
6. Ram goes North, turn right, then again turns right and then go to the left. In which direction is he now?
7.Ayush moves towards East a distance of 10 m, then he moves towards North direction and travells a distance of 10 m and reaches under a 5 m of pole. There is a light on top of pole. What is the minimum distance between the light and the starting point of Ayush?
(a) 12.5 m
(b) 15 m
(c) 7.5 m
(d) Can’t be determined
8. A dog runs 20’ towards East and turns to right, runs 10’ and turns to right, runs 9’ and again turns to left, runs 5’ and then turns to left runs 12’ and finally turns to left and runs 6’Now, which direction is the dog facing?
9. Ravi walks 10 km towards North. From there, he 1 walks 6 km towards South. Then, he walks 3 km towards East. How far and in which direction is he with reference to his starting point?
(a) 5 km, West
(b) 5 km, North-East
(c) 7 km, East
(d) 7 km, West
10. Hemu leaves for his office from his house. He walks 13. towards East. After moving a distance of 20 m, he turns South and walks 10 m. Then, he walks 35 m towards the West and further 5 m towards the North. He, then turns towards East and walks 15 m. What is the straight distance (in meter) between his initial and final positions?
(d) Can’t be determined
11. Kunal walked 30 m towards East, took a right turn and walked 40 m. Then, he took a left turn and walked 30 m. In which direction is he now from the starting point?
12. Gunjan moves towards South-East a distance of 7 km, then she moves towards West and travels a distance of 14 m. From here, she moves towards North-West a distance of 7 m and finally she moves a distance of 4 m towards East and stood at that point. How far is the starting point from where she stood?
(a) 3 m
(b) 4 m
(c) 10 m
(d) 11 m
13.One morning after sunrise, Riya and Lovely were talking to-each other face to face at Tilak square. If Lovely’s shadow was exactly to the right of Riya, which direction Lovely was facing?
(d) Data inadequate
14. One evening before sunset two friends Gopal and Ram were talking to each other face to face. If Ram’s shadow was exactly to his right side, which direction was Gopal facing?
(c) Data inadequate
15. Nandansh moves straight from his school a distance of 5 km, then he turns to his right and travells a distance of 3 km. Then, he turns to his right and travells a distance of 2 km and reaches his home. If his home is South-East direction from school. In which direction he started?
Hints & Solutions
Leave a Reply