SSC CHSL Topic Wise Study Material – General Intelligence – Coding-Decoding
Coding-Decoding is process of transmitting an information from one place to other place using some suitable codes, so that it might reach to other person safely.
Coding-Decoding of an information is done with various rules or patterns, so that only the right person can decipher it.
Coding It is a system of conveying a message through signals. In other words, Coding is a rule of converting a piece of information into another form or representation. It is a process of sending a data from one person to another person in such a way that only sender and the receiver can know its meaning, but without knowing it to third person.
Decoding It is the reverse process, of converting the coded symbols back into original form/information understandable by a receiver. In other words, Decoding is the process of converting the coded data in original form.
The coding-decoding method is set up to judge the candidates ability to decipher the pattern which goes behind a coded message or statement.
The purpose of asking such question is to examine the ability of a student in order to decipher the code of questions. Memorization of following facts can be useful to answer this type of questions
I. Position number of letters in the alphabet
II. Position number of letters in the alphabet in reverse order
III. (a) Opposite letter of each letter in the alphabet
(b) For opposite letters we can go through with the number of alphabets as the total of opposite letters always remain same (27).
IV. In alphabetical series we have 26 letters in them we have 2 halves – 1st half –> A to M (13 letters),
V. To remember the position of A particular letter in the alphabetical series.
Different types of questions covered in this chapter are as follows
• Alphabet coding
• Number coding
• Message coding
• Symbol coding
• Substitution coding
In number coding, the alphabets are assigned to a specific code of numbers or positional values of letters. It is just similar to the language in which alphabets are written as numbers.
Example If SEVEN is coded as 23136 and EIGHT is coded as 34579, what will be the code for NINE?
(a) 6 4 6 3
(b) 6 3 6 4
(c) 6 3 4 6
(d) 6 4 3 6
In alphabet coding, a group of letters is coded into another group of letters by applying some logical pattern such as addition, subtraction of positions of alphabets.
Example If EARN is written as GCTP, how NEAR can SSC (10 + 2) 2012
be written in that code?
In symbol coding, a word/letter/number is assigned with symbols and based on the coding we find the relation of the symbols with the letters of the word.
Example In a certain coded language, STRING is written as % = * – $ ÷ and PRAISE as ? * @ – % x. How will the word SPRING is coded?
(a) % ? – * $ ÷
(b) ? % – * ÷ $
(c) % ? * – $ ÷
(d) % % * – ÷ $
In message coding, some messages are given in coded language and on comparing any two messages, we get the code for the common word that appear in these messages.
Example In a certain coded language, “food is good’ is written as ‘ho na ta’, ‘eat food regularly’ is written as ‘sa ta la’ and “keep good health’ is written as ‘da na ja’ How is ‘eat’ written in that code?
(a) sa or la
In substitution coding, some words are replaced by some substituted words and on the basis of substituted word the code is derived.
Example If ‘water’ is known as ‘food’, ‘food’ as ‘tree’, ‘tree’ as ‘sky’, ‘sky’ as “well’ and “well’ as “pond’, then
which of the following would yield (produce) fruits?
(a) As, we all know that, tree yields fruits and according to code tree is called sky. So, sky yields fruits.
1.In a certain code language, ‘DANGER’ is written as ‘145237’ and “RANCOR’ is written as ‘745967’. How is ‘RAGE’ written in that code language? SSC (10 + 2) 2017
2. If ‘Stress’ is coded as Rtress. Then “Pulse’ will be coded as SSC (10 + 2) 2015
3.In a code language FORGE is written as FPTJI; how should CULPRIT be written in the same code?
4.In a certain code ‘CALANDER’ is written as ‘CLANAEDR’. How is ‘CIRCULAR’written in that code? SSC (10 + 2) 2013
5.Some capital letters are given below in the first line and numbers are assigned to each of them in the second line. The numbers are the codes for the letters and vice-versa
M O E A S J T Z
3 5 7 6 2 9 4 0
Choose the correct number code for the given set of letters. SSC (10 + 2)2013
6. If ‘GLOSSORY’ is coded as ‘97533562’ and ‘GEOGRAPHY’ = ‘915968402’ then ‘Geology’ can be coded as SSC (10 + 2) 2013
1. If DELHI can be coded as CCIDD, how would you code BOMBAY?
2. If TRUTH is coded as SUQSTVSUGI, then the code for FALSE will be
3. If BOMBAY is written as MYMYMY, how will TAMIL NADU be written in that code
4. If MADRAS can be written as ARSMDA, how can ARKONAM be written in that code
5. If HEALTH is written as GSKZDG, then how will NORTH be written in that code?
6. In a certain code BEAN is written as ABNE and SALE is written as LSEA. How is NEWS written in that code?
7. If the word EARTH be written as QPMZS in coded form, how can HEART be written following the same coding?
8. In a certain code, FIRE is written as QHOE and MOVE as ZMWE. Following same rule of coding, what should be the code for the word OVER?
9. In a certain code, the word DEAL is coded as 4-5-1-12. Following the same rule of coding, what should be the code for the word LADY?
10. If A = 2, M= 26, Z= 52, then BET is equal to
11. If A = 26, SUN = 27, then CAT is equal to
12. If ‘oranges’ are ‘apples’, ‘bananas’ are ‘apricots’, ‘apple’ are ‘chillies’, ‘apricots’ are ‘oranges’ and ‘chillies’ are ‘bananas’, then which of the following are green in colour?
13. If ‘blue’ is called ‘black’, ‘black’ is called ‘green’, ‘green’ is called ‘white’, ‘white’ is called ‘red’, ‘red’ is called ‘yellow’ and ‘yellow’ is called ‘gray’, then what is the colour of milk?
14. If ‘tree’ means ‘mountain’, ‘mountain’, means ‘water’, ‘water’ means ‘jungle’, ‘jungle’ means ‘bus’, ‘bus’ means ‘truck’ and ‘truck’ means ‘house’, then where do the fish live?
15. If ‘black’ means ‘pink’, ‘pink’ means ‘blue’, ‘blue’ means ‘white’, ‘white’ means ‘yellow’, ‘yellow’ means ‘red’ and ‘red’ means ‘brown’, then what is the colour of clear sky?
16. If “yellow’ is called “blue’, “blue’ is called ‘red’, ‘red’ is called “pink’, “pink’ is called “black’ and “black’ is called ‘orange’, then what is the colour of blood?
17. In a certain code language, ‘go for morning walk’ is written as “$★?#’,‘good for health’ is written as ‘£?@’ and ‘good to walk fast’ is written as ‘+@↑#’, then what is the code for “health’ in that code language?
18. If BASKET is written as TEKSAB, how can PILLOW be written in that code? SSC (10 + 2) 2012
19. In a certain code, TOPPER is written as POTREP. In that code, which word will be written as RUBREG? SSC (10 + 2) 2012
20. If LAME is written as ODPH, how can MALE be written in that code? SSC (10+2) 2011
21. If TALENT is written as LATENT, how EXOTIC can be written in that code? SSC (10+2) 2011
Hints & Solutions