SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 9
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 9
Part I General Intelligence
Directions (Q.NOS. 1-3) Find, the odd number/ letters/figures from the given alternatives.
4. Which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following words in ascending order?
1. Seed 2. Fruit 3. Plant 4. Food
(a) 2,1,4, 3
(b) 1,4, 2, 3
(c) 1,3, 2, 4
(d) 3,1,2, 4
5. Find the wrong number in the given series. 6,14,31,64,137,280
Directions (Q. Nos. 6-8) Select the related letters/ number/figure from the given alternatives.
6. BDFH : JLNP : RTVX : ?
7. 400 : 20 :: 484 : ?
9.If + means x, – means +, ‘x’ means ÷ and ÷ means -, then 10 + 5 x 10 ÷ 2-5 has a value of
Directions (Q.Nos. 10 and ll) Select the missing number from the given alternatives.
12. Two statements are given followed by two Conclusions I and II. You have to consider the statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You are to decide which of the given conclusions, if any, follow from the given statements. Indicate your answer.
Teaching is an art.
Drawing is also an art.
Conclusions I. All artists are teachers.
II. All artists know to draw pictures.
(a) Only Conclusion I follows
(b) Only Conclusion II follows
(c) Neither Conclusion I nor II follows
(d) Both Conclusions I and II follow
13. If RACKET is written as 813524 in a certain code, how would TRACK be written in that code?
14. Some equations are solved on the basis of some system. Using the same, solve the unsolved equation.
4 x 5 x 6 = 645
5 x 6 x 7 = 756
6 x 7 x 8=?
8 x 7 x 9 = 987
15. Ramu’s mother said to Ramu, “My mother has a son whose son is Achyut”. How is Achyut related to Ramu?
16. From the given alternatives select the word which can be formed using the letters given in the word. CIRCUMSCRIBE
Directions (Q. Nos. 17 and 18) A series is given with one term missing. Choose the correct alternative from the given ones that will complete the series.
17. 9,17,31, 57, ?, 205
18. BDF, HJL, NPR, ?
19. Arun runs faster than Elias, but not as fast as Dinesh. Dinesh runs faster than Chander, but not as fast as Bikram. Who runs fastest?
20. Which number is common to all the three geometrical figures?
21. Mrs. Kiran starts from Gandhi Square, Calcutta, drives her car towards west 6 km and turning to her right she drives 4 km, then again turns the car to her right and moves 6 km. How far is she from the Starting point?
(c) 4 km
Directions (Q.Nos. 22 and 23) A, B, C, D and E are five boys sitting in a circle. C is sitting immediately to the left of E. A is sitting between D and E.
22. Who is sitting between B and A?
(d) None of these
23. Who is sitting to the immediate left hand side of C?
24. In a code TIGER is written as SHFDQ, how shall HORSE be written in that code?
25. If A is coded as 2, B as 3 and so on, what is the code for FACT?
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26 and 27) In the following questions, a part of the sentence is Underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (a), (b) and (c) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is required, your answer is (d).
26. Sujata was junior to me in college.
(a) junior than
(b) junior most of
(c) junior of
(d) No improvement
27. The managers role is to define and resolve problems.
(a) identify and resolved
(b) defined and resolved
(c) spot and resolved
(d) No improvement
Directions (Q. Nos. 28 and 29) In the following questions, a sentence has been given in direct/indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested select the one which best expresses the same sentence in indirect/direct speech.
28. I said to him, “Why are you working So hard?”
(a) I asked him why he was working so hard
(b) I asked him why was he, working so hard
(c) I asked him why he had been working so hard
(d) I asked him why had he been working so hard
29. He said to her,“What a cold day!”
(a) He told her that it was a cold day
(b) He exclaimed that it was a cold day
(c) He exclaimed sorrowfully that it was a cold day
(d) He exclaimed that it was a very cold day
Directions (Q. Nos. 30-32) Choose the alternative which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 33-35) In the following questions, find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d).
33. Either an officer (a)/or an assistant (b)/are required. (c)/No error (d)
34. I(a)/have seen him (b)/yesterday. (c)/No error (d)
35. Being a rainy day (a)/we didn’t (b)/go out. (c)/ No error (d)
Directions (Q.Nos. 36-45) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out First read the passage over and try to understand what it is about Then, fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
It was a sudden decision. Three of us all (36) in the hostel, decided to travel by train to (37) and witness the Republic Day Parade. The station was heavily (38) and there was a long Queue before the ticket counter. (39) pretended sickness and persuaded the man nearest to the (40) to buy three more tickets – one for him and (41) for his sisters. No problem,therefore, in buying tickets. (42) train was already at the platform arid there was (43) mad rush among the passengers to get on the coaches. Hari would not be worried by (44). He asked (45) to jump over the bumper between two coaches to get on the other side.
Directions (Q- Nos. 46-48) In the following questions four words are given out of which only one word is correctly spelt Find the correctly spelt word.
Directions (Q- Nos. 49 and 50) In these questions, choose the word similar in meaning to the given word.
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51.If the sum of five consecutive integers is S, then the largest of those integers in terms of S is
52. The greatest among the numbers 3√2, 3√7,6√5,2√20 is
53. The denominator of a fraction is 3 more than its numerator.If the numerator is increased by 7 and the denominator is decreased by 2, we obtain 2. The sum of numerator and denominator of the fraction is
54. If the measure of each interior angle of a regular polygon be 144°, the number of sides of the polygon is
55. The base of a right prism is an equilateral triangle of area 173 cm² and the volume of the prism is 10380 cm³. The area of the lateral surface of the prism is (use √3 = 1.73)
(a) 1200 cm²
(b) 2400 cm²
(c) 3600 cm²
(d) 4380 cm²
56. If a right circular cone is separated into solids of volumes V1, V2, V3 by two planes parallel to the base, which also trisect the altitude, then V1: V2 : V3 is
(a) 1 : 2 : 3
(b) 1 : 4 : 6
(c) 1 : 6 : 9
(d) 1 : 7 :19
57. The ratio of the volume of a cube and of a solid sphere is 363 : 49. The ratio of an edge of the cube and the radius of the sphere is (taking π = 22/7) .
(b) 22 : 7
58. If A and B together can finish a piece of work in 20 days, B and C in 10 days and C and A in 12 days, then A, B and C jointly can finish the same work in
(a) 4 2/7 days
(b) 30 days
(c) 8 4/7days
(d) 7/60 days
59. Rahim bought a TV with 20% discount on list price. Had he bought it with 25% discount, he would have saved Rs 500. At what price did he buy the TV?
60. A tabulator while calculating the average marks of 100 students of an examination, by mistake enters 68, instead of 86 and obtained the average as 58; the actual average marks of those students is
61. Three persons A, B and C whose salaries together amount to Rs 72000, spend 80%, 85% and 75% of their salaries respectively. If their savings are in the ratio 8 : 9 : 20, then A’s salary is
62. Two solutions of 90% and 97% purity are mixed, resulting in 21 L of mixture of 94% purity. The quantity of the second solution in the resulting mixture, (in litres) is
63. A boat travels 24 km upstream in 6 h and 20 km downstream in 4 h. Then, the speed of boat in still water and the speed of water current are respectively
(a) 4 km/h and 3 km/h
(b) 4.5 km/h and 0.5 km/h
(c) 4 km/h and 2 km/h
(d) 5 km/h and 2 km/h
64. If x = b + c -2a, y = c + a-2b,z= a + b-2c, then the value of x²+y²-z²+2xy is
(b)a + b + c
(c)a-b + c
65. The side AB of a parallelogram ABCD is produced to E in such way that BE = AB. DE intersects BC at Q. The point Q divides BC in the ratio
(a) 1 : 2
(b) 1 :1
(c) 2 : 3
(d) 2 :1
66. The simplified value of (sec A – cos A)² + (cosec A – sin A)² – (cot A – tan A)² is
67. The value of sin²1° + sin²5°+ sin²9° + … +sin²89°is
Directions (Q.Nos. 68 and 69) Read the graph and answer the questions.
68. What is the difference in profit between 1983 and 1984 (in lakhs of rupees)?
(a) No profit
69. The number of years in which the income is more than the average income of the given years is
70. Two pipes can fill a cistern separately in 10 h and 15 h. They can together fill the cistern in
(a) 6 h
(b) 7 h
71. When an article is sold at a gain of 20%, it yields Rs 60 more than when it is sold at a loss of 20%. The cost price of the article is
(a) Rs 200
(b) Rs 150
(c) Rs 140
(d) Rs 120
72. By selling 1 dozen ball pens, a shopkeeper earned fire profit equal to the selling price of 4 ball pens. His profit per cent is
(c) 33 1/3
(d) 31 1/4
73. In how many years will sum of Rs 3000 yield a simple interest of Rs 1080 at 12% per annum? .
(b) 2 1/2
(d) 3 1/2
74. Two numbers x and y are respectively 20% and 50% more than a third number x is how much per cent of y?
75. A man received Rs 880000 as his annual salary in the year 2007 which was 10% more than his annual salary in 2006. His annual salary in the year 2006 was
Part IV General Awareness
76. Which of the following is known as ‘Vegetative fertilization’?
(a) Generative fertilization
(c) Triple fusion
(d) Fusion of one male gametophyte with oospore
77. How many pairs of contrasting characters in pea were selected by Mendel?
78. A molecule of a substance is similar to its atom for
(a) diatomic molecule
(b) polyatomic molecule
(c) monoatomic molecule
(d) triatomic molecule
79. The conversion of mechanical energy to electrical does not occur in
(b) AC generator
(c) DC generator
80. The particle nature of radiation is confirmed by
(b) photoelectric effect
81. Which of the following items is not used is local Area Network (LANs)
(a) Interface card
82. USB refers to
(a) a storage device
(b) a processor
(c) a port type
(d) a serial bus standard
83. The one that is a good conductor of electricity in the following list of solids is
(c) sodium fluoride
(d) sodium chloride
84. Which one of the following is called philosopher’s wool?
(a) Zinc chloride
(b) Zinc oxide
(c) Zinc nitrate
(d) Zinc bromide
85. The water holding capacity is the highest in
(a) sandy soil
(b) loamy soil
(c) clayey soil
(d) mixture of sand and loam
86. Study of atmospheric phenomena is called
87. Chlorophyll is a porphyrin containing
88. Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize is given for out standing contribution in the field of
(b) Performing Arts
(d) Social Service
89.Which one is not the source of income of Union Government?
(a) Excise duty
(b) Income tax
(c) Trade tax
(d) Corporate tax
90.The Indian Planning Commission was set up in the year
91.According to Robbins, Economics is
(a) normative science
(b) positive science
(c) normative and positive science both
(d) science and art both
(a) parliamentary system
(b) presidential system
(c) quasi-presidential System
(d) plural executive system
93. What is detente?
(a) Heightened tension between the super powers
(b) Relaxation of tension between the super powers
(c) Armament and arms race
(d) All of the above
94. An impeachment motion against the President, in order to be passed in a house, should be supported by
(a) not less than 2/3 members present and voting in the house
(b) not less than 2/3 members of the total membership of the house
(c) the single majority of the total membership of the house
(d) the special majority of the house
95. The people of Indus Valley Civilization worshipped
96. Kanishka-I patronised
(a) Mahayana Buddhism
(b) Hinayana Buddhism
97. Which one of the following cities of India will never get the vertical rays of Suq?
98. The exact spot at which the earthquake occurs is known as
99. DNA differs from RNA in having nitrogenous base
100. The book ‘Six Machine’ is the autobiography of
(a) Yuvraj Singh
(b) Chris Gayle
(c) Virender Sehwag
(d) AB de Villiers