SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 4
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 4
Part I General Intelligence
1. In the following question, some equations are solved on the basis of a certain system. On the same basis, find out the correct answer for the unsolved equation.
5 x 6 x 4 = 456,3 x 6 x 5 = 536,4 x 8 x 7 =?
2. Select the missing number from given responses.
3. From the given alternatives select the word which can be formed using the letters of the given word.
4. If the 5th date of a month is Tuesday, then what date will be 3 days after the 3rd Friday in the month?
Directions (Q.Nos. 5 and 6) In the questions given below, select the one which is different from the other three responses.
(a) 53, 69
(b) 65, 80
(c) 62, 78
(d) 50, 66
Directions (Q. Nos. 7-9) In the questions given below, select the related letters/words/number from the given alternatives.
7. Sapling : Tree :: Girl: ?
8. CHAIR : RIAHC :: TABLE : ?
9. XXIV : 48 :: XIV : ?
10. In the question given below, which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following?
1. Study 2. Employment
3. Pass 4. Admission
(a) 4, 5, 3,1,2
(c) 1,3, 4, 5, 2
(d) 4,1,2, 5, 3
Directions (Q.Nos 11 and 12) A series is given, with one term missing. Choose the correct alternatives from the given ones that will complete the series.
12. YVP, WTN, URL, ?
13. One morning at 7 o’clock, Naresh started walking with his back towards the Sun. Then, he turned towards left, walked straight and then turned towards right and walked straight. Then, he again turned towards left. Now in which direction is he facing?
14. If SYNDICATE is written as SYTENDCAI then how can PSYCHOTIC be written?
15. Some letters are given below in the first line and numbers are given below them in the second line. Numbers are the codes for the alphabets and vice-versa.
E M K B Z W Q U D J
5 9 1 6 4 8 2 0 7 3
Choose the correct letter-code for the given set of numbers. 4 2 9 7 5 3
16. Which one set of letters when sequentially placed at the gaps in the given letter series shall complete it?
g_ _ g_ _gh_ g_i
(a) h i h i i h
(b) h h i i h h
(c) j k l j k l
(d) h i j k l i
17. Shyama says that father of Rajiv’s father is my father. How Shyama is related to Rajiv?
(c) Father’s sister (aunt)
18. In the question given below, two statements are given followed by four Conclusions I, II, III and IV. You have to consider the statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You have to decide which of the given conclusions, if any follow the given statements.
All benches are tables.
No table is chair.
I. All benches are chairs.
II. All tables are benches.
III. No tables are benches.
IV. No benches are chairs.
(a) Only Conclusion I follows
(b) Only Conclusion II follows
(c) Only Conclusion III follows
(d) Only Conclusion IV follows
19. If 20 + 3 = 15 and 15+ 4 = 30, then 12 + 6 = ?
20. How many players are neither teachers nor singers?
21. In the following letter series, how many times does P occur in such a way that after P, NO should occur?
22. Find out the set among the four sets which is like the given set. (23 : 30 : 37)
23. Seema’s younger brother Sohan is older them Seeta. Sweta is younger than Deepti but elder than Seema. Who is the eldest?
24. Rahim and his uncle differ in their ages by 30 yr. After . 7 yr, if the sum of their ages is 66, what will be the age of the uncle?
25. Sohan ranks seventh from the top and twenty-sixth from the bottom in a class. How many students are there in the class?
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-28) In the following questions, find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d).
26. When at last (a)/we got to the theatre (b)/the much publicised programme by the bollywood stars was begun. (c)/No error (d)
27. Several prominent figures (a)/involved in the scandal are required to (b)/appear to the investigation committee. (c)/No error (d)
28. According to the radio (a)/it can rain (b)/this evening. (c)/No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 29-31) In the following questions, four words are given, out of which only one word is correctly spelt Find the correctly spelt word.
Directions (Q- Nos. 32-34) Choose the alternative which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 35-39) You have a passage with five questions. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the four alternatives.
Once there lived an old man who had a bag of gold. He was foolish. He dug a hole in the ground and put the bag of gold into the hole..Then he covered the hole with a stone. He used to visit the place nearly every day.
He would take away the stone and put his fingers into the hole. Then he would touch the gold and feel very happy. One day he took the stone away and put his fingers into the hole. How angry and sad he was when he discovered that his treasure was not there. The old man went to a friend and sadly told him the story. His friend said.
There is no reason for you to be sad. Your gold was useless to you. You still have the hole. You can visit it when ever you like. All you have to do is to imagine that your treasure is still there.
35. The old man hid the gold
(a) in a secret chamber
(b) in a bank locker
(d) in an unknown place
36. The old man was pleased when he
(a) used the gold
(b) touched the gold
(c) added to the gold
(d) gave away the gold
37. The old man visited the place where he had kept the gold hidden
(a) every day
(b) once a week
(c) almost every day
(d) as often as possible
38.The friend’s words possibly made the old man
39.The friend told the old man that
(a) he had not lost anything .
(b) he would get back his gold
(c) he should complain to the police
(d) he should not have hidden it in a hole.
Directions (Q- Nos. 40-42) Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
40. A post with little work, but high salary.
41. Something that causes death.
42. A person who writes decoratively.
Directions (Q.Nos. 43-47) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. First read the passage over and try to understand what it is about. Then fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
One rainy day I watched a neighbour (43) to push her toddler in a pram with one hand and control her Doberman with the other. The dog didn’t want to get its feet wet and was refusing to walk.
I was about to put on my jacket and offer (44) help when the trio disappeared (45) some hedges. When they reappeared, she (46) to have sorted out her problem : the toddler, attached to the dog’s leash, was (47) running through mud puddles and the dog was in the pram.
(a) was struggling
(c) to struggle
(d) being struggle
Directions (Q. Nos. 48-50) In these questions, the first and the last sentences of the passage are numbered as S1 and S6. The rest of the passage is split into four parts and named P, Q, R and S. These four parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentences and find out, which of the four combinations is correct. Then, find the correct answer.
48. S1. A lot of people simply dump their rubbish in open bins.
P. All sorts of diseases are carried by the flies.
Q. Then they come into the house and infect uncovered food.
R. In this rubbish the flies breed and multiply.
S. Such carelessness invites flies to the rubbish.
S6. Consumption of such food can only bring disease and sickness.
The proper sequence should be
49. S1 . Madurai is a historically important place.
P. Besides all these the Chitra festival attracts visitors.
Q. It has the famous Meenakshi Temple.
R. The place is also famous for the jasmine flower.
S. Further it is an architectural marvel.
S6.Due to all these factors Madurai is a popular tourist spot.
The proper sequence should be
50. S1. A jackal fell into a dyer’s tub.
P. He ordered that he should be respected.
Q. Meanwhile a lion arrived on the scene.
R. He posed as the King of the forest.
S. The dyed jackal ran away.
S5.Other jackals ran after him and tore him to pieces.
The proper sequence should be
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51. The compound interest on Rs 30000 at 7% per annum for a certain time is Rs 4347. The time is
(a) 2 yr
(b) 2.5 yr
(c) 3 yr
(d) 4 yr
52. Eight consecutive numbers are given. If the average of the two numbers that appear in the middle is 6, then the sum of the eight given numbers is
53. If(1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x…x n)=n!, then (14! – 13! – 12!) is equal to
(a)14 x 12 x (12!)
(b)14 x 12 x (13!)
(c)14 x 13 x (13!)
(d)13 x 12 x (12!)
54. A and B together can do a piece of work in 12 days, while B alone can finish it in 30 days. A alone can finish the work in (a) 15 days
(b) 18 days
(c) 20 days
(d) 25 days
55. The marked price is 20% higher than cost price. A discount of 20% is given on the marked price. By this type of sale, there is
(a) no loss no gain
(b) 4% gain
(c) 4% loss
(d) 2% loss
56. A chair listed at Rs 350 is available at successive discounts of 25% and 10%. The selling price of the chair is
(a) Rs 240.25
(b) Rs 242.25
(c) Rs 236.25
(d) Rs 230.26
57. A tradesman marks his goods at such a price that after allowing a discount of 15%, he makes a profit of 20%. What is the marked price of an article whose cost price is Rs 170?
(a) Rs 220
(b) Rs 200
(c) Rs 240
(d) Rs 260
58. In two types of stainless steel, the ratio of chromium and steel are 2:11 and 5:21, respectively. In what proportion should the two types be mixed, so that the ratio of chromium to steel in the mixed type become 7:32 ?
(a) 1 : 2
(b) 1 : 3
(d) 3 : 4
59. A sum of Rs 7000 is divided among A, B and C in such a way that the shares of A and B are in the ratio 2: 3 and those of B and C are in the ratio 4:5. The share of B is
60. In the afternoon, a student read 100 pages at the rate of 60 pages/h. In the evening, when she was tired, she read 100 more pages at the rate of 40 pages/h. What was her average rate of reading, in pages per hour?
61. A saves 20% of his monthly salary. If his monthly expenditure is Rs 6000. Then, his monthly saving is
(a) Rs 1200
(b) Rs 4800
(c) Rs 1500
(d) Rs 1800
62. From 2008 to 2009, the sales of a book decreased by 80%. If the sales in 2010 were the same as in 2008, by what per cent did it increase from 2009 to 2010?
63. The speed of a bus is 72 km/h. The distance covered by the bus in 5s is
(a) 50 m
(b) 74.5 m
64. Two men start together to walk a certain distance, one at 4 km/h and another at 3 km/h. The former arrives half an hour before the latter. Find the distance.
(a) 6 km
(b) 9 km
(c) 8 km
(d) 7 km
65. The greatest number of four digits which when divided by 3, 5, 7, 9 leaves remainders 1, 3, 5, 7 respectively is
66. If the slant height of a right pyramid with square base is 4 m and the total slant surface of the pyramid is 12 sq m, then the ratio of total slant surface and area of the base is
(a) 12: 3
(b) 16 : 3
(c) 24 : 5
(d) 32 : 9
67. A hemispherical cup of radius 4 cm is filled to the brim with coffee. The coffee is then poured into a vertical cone of radius 8 cm and height 16 cm. The percentage of the volume of the cone that remains empty is
68. If ΔABC is similar to ΔDEF, such that ∠A = 47°, ∠E=63°, then ∠C is equal to
69. ABCD is a quadrilateral inscribed in a circle with centre O. If ∠CQD=120° and ∠BAC= 30°, then ∠BCD is
70. ABCD is a trapezium whose side AD is parallel to BC. Diagonals AC and BD intersect at O. If AO=3,CO= x-3,BO =3x-19 and DO=x-5, the value (s) of x will be
(b) 7, 6
(c) 12, 6
71. The value of cot 30° – cot 75°/tan 15° – tan 60° is
72.The value of cotθ- tan(90°-θ)-sec(90°-θ)cosecθ + (sin²25°+sin²65°)+√3 (tan5° . tan15° . tan30° . tan75° . tan85°) is
Directions (Q. Nos. 73-75) Study the chart and answer the following questions.
The pie chart given below shows the number of students enrolled in a school in different activities. Total number of students in the school is 1200.
73. What is the total number of students enrolled in Debating club and HRD club?
74. What is the ratio of number of students enrolled in Scout and Red cross activities together to those enrolled in Debating club activities?
(b) 3 :1
(c) 4 : 1
(d) 1 : 4
75. How many students are enrolled in NCC activities?
Part IV General Awareness
76. Which of the following are consumer semi-durable goods?
(a) Cars and television sets
(b) Milk and milk products
(c) Foodgrains and other food products
(d) Electrical appliance like fans and electric irons
77. Other things being equal, a decrease in quantity demanded of a commodity can be caused by
(a) a rise in the price of the commodity
(b) a rise in the income of the consumer
(c) a fall in the price of a commodity
(d) a fall in the income of the consumer
78. Which of the following is not an economic problem?
(a) Deciding between paid work and leisure
(b) Deciding between expenditure on one good and the other
(c) Deciding between alternative methods of personal saving
(d) Deciding between different ways of spending leisure time
79. In which year were the states reorganized on a linguistic basis?
80. Who has got the power to create All India Services?
(a) Supreme Court
(b) The Parliament
(c) Council of Ministers
(d) Prime Minister
81. Ravikirti, a Jain who composed the Aihole Prashasti, was patronized by
(a) Pulakeshi I
(c) Pulakeshi II
82. When did the reign of Delhi Sultanate came to an end?
(a) 1498 AD
(c) 1565 AD
(d) 1600 AD
83. The soils which are rich in Calcium are known as
84. Cultivable land is defined as
(a) land actually under crops
(b) cultivable waste land + fallow land
(c) old fallow lands + current fallow lands
(d) total fallow lands + net sown area
85. Which of the following is a Biological method of soil conservation?
(a) Contour farming
(b) Contour terracing
(c) Gully control
(d) Basin listing
86. Glucose is a type of
(a) Pentose sugar
(b) Hexose sugar
(c) Tetrose sugar
(d) Diose sugar
87. Number of mitochondria in bacterial cell is
88. Which of the following is i the largest Biosphere Reserves ofIndia?
(d) Gulf of Mannar
89. ISRO’s Master Control Facility is in
(a) Andhra Pradesh
90. If the horizontal range of a projectile is four times its maximum height, the angle of projection is
91. Telnet stands for
(a) Telephone Network
(b) Television Network
(c) Teletype Network
(d) Telefax Network
92. Which of the following metals has least melting point?
93. The gas produced in marshy places due to decomposition of vegetation is
(a) Carbon monoxide
(b) Carbon dioxide
(c) Sulphur dioxide
94.The five kingdom, classification was given by
95.Rainbow is formed due to
(a) refraction and dispersion
(b) scattering and refraction
(c) diffraction and refraction
(d) refraction and reflection
96.With what bio-region is the term ‘Steppe’ associated?
(b) Trophical forests
(d) Coniferous forests
97.Tulsidas wrote Ramcharitmanas in the reign of
98.Grammy Award is given in the field of
99.The first woman to get the Bharat Ratna Award is
(a) Mother Teresa
(b) Indira Gandhi
(c) Lata Mangeshkar
(d) Sarojini Naidu
100.Which committee has been constituted by the Union Government to study silt in river Ganga in Bihar?
(a) SK Sahu Committee
(b) Rajnish Ranjan Committee
(c) AK Sinha Committee
(d) Nitish Kumar Committee