SSC CHSL Topic Wise Study Material – General Intelligence – Semantic Classification
Classification means to observe the differences and similarities among various items such as things/letters/words/numbers from a group on the basis of their general property.
In other word, classification means to classify various objects on the basis of their common properties.
In classification, items are grouped together on the basis of similarity and the odd one to be picked out, which does not belong to the group. These type of questions are also called odd one out questions.
Questions based on classification are ment to test the candidate’s ability to classify given objects and find one which does’t belong to the common property with the other objects of the group.
In word classification, the candidate is given a group of words, which are classified on the basis of common features/properties/name/place/uses/situation/origin etc. The candidate has to identify the odd word, which does not belong to the group.
Example (a) Eye (b) Tongue(c) Nose (d) Throat
(d) Except throat, all others are sense organs.
1. Select the odd word/letters/number/ number pair from the given alternatives. SSC (10 + 2) 2017
Answer: (d) Except Sydney, all other are the capitals of different countries while Sydney is one of the city in Australia.
Directions (Q. Nos. 2-13) Find the odd word from the given alternatives.
2. SSC (10 + 2) 2015
Answer: (b) Except Foible, all others are type of strange behaviour.
3. SSC (10 + 2) 2014
Answer: (d) Except Waterfall, all other belongs to the same group.
4. SSC (10+2) 2014
Answer: (d) Except Canada, all other are continent while Canada is one of the country in North America.
5. SSC (10+2) 2014
Answer: (a) Except Flute, all other are string based instruments.
6. SSC (10+2) 2014
Answer: (a) Except Litre, all other are length units while litre is a liquid unit.
7. SSC (10 + 2) 2014
Answer: (b) Except Korea, all others are European countries while Korea is an Asian country.
8. SSC (10+2) 2014
9. SSC (10 + 2) 2014
Answer: (d) Except Locust, all others are reptile, while Locust is a large in sect.
10. SSC (10 + 2) 2013
(a) Day : Night
(b) Up : Down
(c) Across : Along
(d) Small: Large
Answer: (c) Day-Night, Up-Down and Small-large word pairs denote the opposite relationship among them. But Across and Along are synonym.
11. SSC (10+2) 2013
Answer: (d) Except plane, all items have height.
12. SSC (10+2) 2013
Answer: (d) Except borrow, all the options are the terms of business.
13. SSC (10 + 2) 2013
(a) Flag : Flagship
(b) Court: Courtship
(c) War: Worship
(d) Friend: Friendship
Directions (Q. NOS. 1 -35) In each of the following questions, four words have been given out of which three are alike in some manner, which the fourth one is different. Choose out the odd one.
(c) High lighter
26. SSC (10 + 2) 2012
27. SSC (10 + 2) 2012
28. SSC (10 + 2) 2012
29. (10 + 2) 2012
30. SSC (10 + 2) 2011
31.SSC (10 + 2) 2011
32. SSC (10 + 2) 2011
33. SSC (10 + 2) 2010
34. SSC (10 + 2) 2010
35. SSC (10 + 2) 2010
Hints and Solutions
1. Except cousin, all others belong to the same generation.
2. Except Billiards, all others are outdoor games. ‘Billiards’ is an indoor game.
3. Except circle, all other figures are made up of straight lines.
4. Except direct, all others are synonyms.
5. Except tomato, all others are either modified roots or modified stones. The ’tomato’ is a sprawling plant.
6. Except paper, all others are used on paper.
7. Except Korea, all are European countries, while Korea is an Asian country.
8. All except Hireling are young ones of animals.
9. All others can be drawn on paper.
10. All except acre are units of measuring distance, while acre is a unit of area.
11. All except bear belong to the cat family.
12. Except mustard, all others are food grains. Mustard is an oil seed.
13. Except chicken, all others can live, in water.
14. Except cycle, all others run on fuel.
15. Only ‘swan’ is water bird.
16. Except mercury, all others are solid.
17. All except feathers are organs for movement in different organisms.
18. All except vapour are different forms of precipitation.
19. All except chocolate are baked items.
20. All except defence are forms of attack.
21. All except spider are insects having four legs.
22. All except white are colours of the rainbow.
23. Except bat, all others are flying birds. ‘Bat’ is a flying mammal.
24. Except pink, all the other colours are seen in the rainbow.
25. Except knight, all others are religious persons knight is a warrior.
26. Except LPT, all others are liquids while LPG is a Liquified Petroleum Gas.
27. Except erg, all others are different quantities while erg is the unit of force.
30. Except health, all others are different kinds of diseases.
31. Only nylon is synthetic in nature.
32. Except garden, all the others are the parts of a tree.
33. Except ROPE, all other groups of letters has one vowel while ‘ROPE’ have two vowels i.e., O and E.
34. Except steel, all others are pure metal while steel is a mix metal.
35. Except article, all others are combination of various agenda while article is centralised on one agenda.