SSC CHSL Topic Wise Study Material – English Language – One Word Substitution
In the questions based on One Word Substitution, a sentence or a group of words is given. Out of the given four alternatives, you have to choose the one which can be substituted for the given group of words or sentence. One Word Substitution may be defined as single word that is used in place of a group of words to denote a person, an object, a place, a state of mind, a profession etc.
- Enrich and enhance your vocabulary.
- Get familiar with the terminology of different fields.
- Read magazines and newspapers.
- We have provided a collection of important one word substitutions. Memorise as many as you can.
- Try to use these words in the sentences of your own.
Some Important One Word Substitutions
1. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute for the phrase. Liquids forming a homogeneous mixture when added together. SSC (10 + 2) 2017
Answer. (C) .
Directions (Q.Nos. 2-5) Out of the four alternatives, Choose the one which can he substituted for the given words / sentences. ssc (1 o+2) 2015
2. Introductory part or lines to a discourse or play
Answer. (d) Prologue means ‘introductory part or lines to a discourse or play’.
3. A cinema show held in the afternoon.
Answer. (d) A cinema show held in the afternoon is called matinee.
4. Intentional damage to arrest production.
(b) Modus operandi
Answer. (c) International damage to arrest production is called sabotage.
5. A handsome man.
Answer. (c) Adonis means ‘an extremely attractive man’.
Directions (Q.Nos. 6-10) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words I sentences. SSC (10 +2) 2014
6. The schedule of travel.
Answer. (c) Itinerary means ‘a plan of a journey including the . routes and the places’.
7. Poem in short stanzas narrating a popular story,
Answer. (c) Poem in short stanzas narrating a popular story is called a ballad.
8. Design made by putting together coloured pieces – of glass or stones.
Answer. (d) Design made by putting together coloured pieces of glass or stones is called mosaic.
9. A policy that segregates people on the basis of race.
Answer. (a) A policy that segregates people on the basis of race is called apartheid.
10. Something which lasts forever.
Answer. (c) Eternal means ‘something which lasts forever.
Directions (Q. Nos. 11-13) In questions out of the four alternatives choose the one which can he substituted for the given words / sentence. ssc (10 + 2) 2013
11. A medicine to nullify the effect of poison.
12. An assembly of worshippers.
13. A person who lives by himself.
Directions (Q.Nos. 1-40) Give one word for the following words / sentences.
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-12) ssc (1o + 2) 2012
1. Something that occurs irregularly.
2. Appealing to senses.
3. Some one who is indifferent and is careless.
4. An imaginary world where everything is perfect and everyone is happy.
5. Fit to be eaten
6. Unfair advantages for members of one’s own family
7. A proficient public speaker
8. Always ready to attack or quarrel
9. Impossible to decipher, make out or read
10. Careful not to harm or inconvenience others
11. One who finds it easy to produce new and original ideas and things.
12. Done with good judgement
Directions (Q. Nos. 13-22) ssc (1o + 2)2011
13. A remedy for all diseases
14. The killing of a whole group of people
15. The plants and vegetation of a region
16. That which is without opposition
17. Strong dislike between two persons
18. Murder of a man
19. Use of force or threats to get someone to agree to something
20. Animal that feeds on plants
21. A number of stars grouped together
(c) Solar system
22. Lasting only for a very short while
Directions (Q. Nos. 23-26) ssc (1o+2) 2012
23. Able to use the left hand and right hand equally well
24. One who hates women
25. a system of naming things
26. A raised passageway in a building
27. Custom of having many wives
28. An elderly unmarried woman
29. A person who rules without consulting the opinion of others
30. A tank where fish or water plants Eire kept
31. A building where dead bodies are kept
32. An associate in a office or institution
33. A place where birds are kept
34. Of unknown authorship
35. One who knows many languages
36. The violation or profaning of sacred things
37. An examination of a dead body
38. One who sacrifices his life for a cause
39. Custom of having severed husbands at the same time
40. One who is not easily pleased by anything
Verifying the Answers
- Sporadic means ‘happening occasion – ally or at intervals that are not regular’.
- Sensuous means ‘giving pleasure to your senses’.
- Lackadaisical means ‘not showing enough care or enthusiasm,
- Utopia means ‘an imaginary place or state in which everything is perfect.
- Edible means ‘fit or suitable to be eaten’.
- Nepotism means ‘giving unfair advantages to your own family if you are in a position of power’.
- Orator means ‘a proficient public speaker’.
- Aggressive means ‘angry and ready to attack’.
- Illegible means difficult or impossible to read.
- Considerate means careful not to hurt or upset others.
- Creative means having the skill and ability to produce something new.
- Judicious means careful and sensible; showing good judgement.