SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Previous Year Solved Papers – 02 November, 2014 (1st Shift)
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Exam Solved Paper 02 November, 2014 (1st Shift)
Part I General Intelligence
1. From the given alternative words, select the word which can be formed using the letters of the given word. TRADITIONAL
2. If NEWS is written as WENS, then how MATE will be written in this code?
3. If REASON is coded as 5 and BELIEVED as 7, what is the code number for GOVERNMENT?
4. A shepherd had 17 sheep. All but 9 died.How many sheep are left?
5. Present ages of father and son are in the ratio of 5 : 1, respectively. 7 yr later, this ratio becomes 3:1. What is the son’s present age (in yr)?
6. Change the sign to find the equation. 28-7 + 2 x 2 = 0
(a) Change + into x
(b) Change x into
(c) Change – into +
(d) Change + into –
7. The price of onions is shown below for every fortnight. Find the price in Feb. 3rd week.
(a) Rs 140
(b) Rs 300
(c) Rs 180
(d) Rs 320
8. The population of a village in Madurai is increasing year after year. Find out the population (in lakhs) in 2013 from the following information.
9. Ram walk 12 km to the North, then 10 km to West, 12 km South. How far is Ram from the starting point?
(a) 9 km
(b) 13 km
(c) 8 km
(d) 10 km
10. Select the missing number from the given responses.1,4,2,3,2,?
11. Which of the following interchange of signs would make the given equation correct?
(6 + 3) + (4 x 7) = 29
(a) + and –
(b) ÷ and +
(c) x and +
(d) ÷ and x
12. Two statements are given followed by two conclusions I and n. You have to consider the statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You are to decide which of the given conclusions, if any follow from the given statements. Indicate your answer.
Statements All Americans are English speaking. No Eskimos are English speaking.
I. No Eskimos are Americans
II. No English speakers are Eskimos.
(a) Only I follows
(b) Neither I nor II follows
(c) Only II follows
(d) I and II follow
13. Town A and town B were 600 km apart. Joshua left town A for town B and travelled at an average speed of 65 km/h. At the same time, Menon left town B for town A. The two of them meet 5 h later. Find Menon’s average speed.
(a) 55 km/h
(b) 60 km/h
(c) 65 km/h
(d) 120 km/h
14. There are two statements labelled as Assertion (A) and Reason (R).
Assertion (A) Dyslexia is a psychological disorder.
Reason (R) Vitamin deficiency causes the .disease. Choose the correct option.
(a) If both A and R are true
(b) If both A and R are false
(c) If A is false but R is true
(d) If A is true but R is false
Directions (Q.Nos. 15-23) Select the related letter/word/ number from the given alternatives.
15. Polio : Virus :: Anthrax : ?
16. MONEY : YENOM :: RIGHT : ?
17. NHOLUSL : ILLUSION :: TBERVARE : ?
18. RUST : 9687 :: TSUR: ?
19. 13 : 169 :: ?
(b) 3 : 6
(c) 11 :111
20. 23 : 29 :: 41 : ?
21. 6 :10 :: 9 : ?
22. River : Tributary :: Tree : ?
23. lion : Forest:: Fish: ?
Directions (Q.Nos. 24-32) Select the one which is different from the other three responses
(b) Equilateral triangle
(d) Right angle triangle
33. Which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following?
1. Earth 2. Jupiter 3. Venus 4. Mars 5. Mercury
(a) 5, 3,1,2, 4
(b) 5, 3, 4,1,2
(c) 5, 3,1, 4, 2
(d) 5, 3, 2, 4,1
34. Find the odd one out.
Directions (Q.Nos. 35-41) A series is given, with one term missing. Choose the correct alternative from the given ones that will complete the series.
35. PON, RQP, TSR, VUT, ?
36. ar, cs, et, ?
37. 9, 15, 23, 33, ?
38. 4, 7, 14, 24, 41, ?
39. 5, 16, 51, 158, ?
40. CBA, ABC, ABCD, DCBA, ABCDE, ?
41. AD, El, JN, PS, ?
42. The sides of a cube show the colours of rainbow. Two positions of the cube are shown below. Which of the colours of rainbow is left out?
43. Based on the diagrams what is the letter which is opposite to A?
Directions (Q.Nos. 44 and 45) Identify the diagram that best represents the relationship among classes given below.
44.Singers, Boys, Dancers
46. Identify the answer figure from which the piece given in question figure has been cut.
47. From the given answer figures, select the one in which the question figure is hidden/embedded.
48. Find out from amongst the four alternatives as to how the pattern would appear when the transparent sheet is folded at the dotted line.
49. Choose the alternative which most closely resembles the mirror image of the given combination.
50. A word is represented by only one set of numbers as given in anyone of the alternatives. The sets of numbers given in the alternatives are represented by two classes of alphabets as in two matrices given below. The columns and rows of Matrix I are numbered from 0 to 4 and that of Matrix n are numbered from 5 to 9. A letter from these matrices can be represented first by its row and next by its column, e.g., I can be represented by 13,21 etc. and B can be represented by 57, 65 etc. Similarly, you have to identify the set for the word FADE.
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 51-55) In the following questions, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (a), (b), (c), which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case ‘No improvement’ is needed your answer is (d).
51. More than 60% of India’s population live under the poverty line
(a) live by the poverty line
(b) live below poverty line
(c) live beside the poverty line
(d) No improvement
52. Only me I can solve the problem.
(a) Only me can
(b) Only I can
(c) I can only
(d) No improvement
53. They congratulated me for my victory in the debate competition.
(d) No improvement
54. When the little girl losses her doll, she began to cry.
(a) losing her doll
(b) loss her doll
(c) lost her doll
(d) No improvement
55. I brushed my teeth every day at 7 o’clock in the morning.
(a) I brushes my teeth every day at 7 o’clock in the morning
(b) I brush my teeth every day at 7 o’clock in the morning
(c) I brush my tooth every day at 7 o’clock in the morning
(d) No improvement
Directions (Q. NOS. 56-60) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
56. Inflammation of gums
57. A book written by an unknown author
58. An event that causes great harm or dams
59. Beyond correction
60. Widespread scarcity of food
Directions (Q- Nos. 61-65) In the following questions, four words are given in each question, out of which only one word is correctly spelt. Find the correctly spelt word.
Directions (Q.Nos. 66-75) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer to each question out of the four alternatives and fill in the blanks.
Rajan is a salesman. He goes from door to door (66) vacuum cleaners. On his first day of work, he (67) to sell his goods by (68) at the doors of a private housing estate. “My first (69),” he thought as he (70) the doorbell of the First house. A middle aged woman with curlers in her hair opened the door. Rajan began to (71) who he was and the (72) he was selling. The (73) minute, the door was (74) shut. “Not interested !” John heard her shout (75) the closed door.
Directions (Q- Nos. 76-80) In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d). i.e., ‘No error’.
76. She has not completed (a)/her course, (b)/isn’t it? (c)/ No error (d)
77. Every citizen is (a)/entitled to (b)/the voting, (c)/ No error (d)
78. The collector (a)/visits the office regularly (b)/Isn’t it? (c)/No error (d)
79. No sooner did the rabbit (a)/come out of the bush (b)/when the hunter killed it. (c)/No error (d)
80. The Arabian Nights’ /are enjoyed (b)/by all kinds of readers. (c)/No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 81-85) In the following questions, sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four.
81. She is__of lizards.
82. His path was beset__difficulties.
83. The plan is worth considering, think it__carefully.
84. The priest was innocent__he could not prove it.
85. Many people who___practising photography as a hobby tum it eventually into a livelihood.
Directions (Q. Nos. 86-90) In the following questions, choose the word opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q- Nos. 91-95) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 96-100) In the following questions, four alternatives are given for Idiom/Phrase underlined in the sentences. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the Idiom/Phrase.
96. Please be as brief as you can, I have other fish to fry.
(a) to cook the food
(b) to take rest
(c) some important work to attend to
(d) to attend the friends
97. His argument does not hold water.
(a) to have effect
(b) to influence
(c) to check the flow of water
(d) sound logical fact
98. It was her maiden speech on the stage and she performed well
(a) unprepared speech
(b) sudden speech
(c) primary speech
(d) first speech
99. The detective went abroad in search of a culprit but his journey proved to be a wild goose chase.
(b) full of difficulties
(c) unprofitable adventure
(d) ill advised
100. A close shave.
(a) A narrow escape from danger
(c) Very short hair
(d) Hairless skin
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
101. If the perimeter of an equilateral triangle be 18 cm, then the length of each median is
102. If the radius of a cylinder is decreased by 50% and the height is increased by 50%, then the change in volume is
103. The simplified value of
104. If (a + 1/a)² =3, then the value of a³ + 1/a³ is
105. If a + 1/a = √3, then the value of a18 + a12 + a6 +1 is
106. If the numerical value of the circumference and area of a circle is same, then the area is
(a) 6 π sq unit
(b) 4 π sq unit
(c) 8 π sq unit
(d) 12 π sq unit
107. The median of an equilateral triangle is 6√3 cm. The area (in cm2) of the triangle is
108. In a ΔABC, ∠A + ∠B = 70° and ∠B + ∠C = 130°, then the value of ∠A is
109. In a ΔABC, if 2∠A = 3∠B = 6∠C, then the value of ∠B is
110. If sec θ + tan θ = 4, (θ ≠90°), then the value of cos θ is
111. Two circles touches externally at P. QR is a common tangent of the circles touching the circles at Q and R. Then, measure of ∠QPR is
112. If in a ΔABC, D and E are on the sides AB and AC, such that, DE is parallel to BC and AD/BD = 3/5. If AC = 4 cm, then AE is
113. If x = 997, y = 998 and z = 999, then the value of x2 + y2 + z2 – xy – yz – zx is
(b) 2, -1/2
115. The value of
is close to
117. If X is 20% less than Y, then find Y-X/Y,X/X-Y
118. A person has three iron bars whose lengths are 10 m, 15 m and 20 m respectively. He wants to cut pieces of same length from each of the three bars. What is the least number of total pieces if he is to cut without any wastage?
120. The area of an equilateral triangle is 48 sq cm. The length of the side is
(a) √8 x 4 cm
(b) 4√3 cm
(c) 8 cm
(d) 16 cm
121. An elephant of length 4 m is at one comer of a rectangular cage of size (16 m x 30 m) and faces towards the diagonally opposite corner. If the elephant starts moving towards the diagonally opposite comer it takes 15 s to reach this comer. Find the speed of the elephant.
(a) 1 m/s
(b) 2 m/s
(c) 1.87 m/s
(d) 1.5 m/s
122. A shopkeeper allows a rebate 12% on the marked price of an article such that the selling price is Rs 440. Then, the marked price of the article is
(a) Rs 490
(b) Rs 500
(c) Rs 600
(d) Rs 550
123. 40 men can complete a work in 18 days. 8 days after they started working together, 10 more men joined them. How many days will they now take to complete the remaining work?
124. 16 women take 12 days to complete a work which can be completed by 12 men in 8 days. 16 men started working and after 3 days 10 men left and 4 women joined them. How many days will it take them to complete the remaining work?
125. Three numbers are in the ratio 1:2:3 and their HCF is 12. The numbers are
126. A cricketer whose bowling average is 12.4 runs per wicket, takes 5 wickets for 26 runs and there by decreases his average by 0.4. The number of wickets taken by him till the last match was
127. The average monthly income of P and Q is Rs 5050. The average monthly income of Q and R is Rs 6250 and the average monthly income of P and R is Rs 5200. The monthly income of P is
(a) Rs 3500
(b) Rs 4000
(c) Rs 4050
(d) Rs 5000
128. Mr. Y purchased a flat for Rs 925000 and spent Rs 35000 for its renovation. If he sold the flat for Rs 1080000, then his profit per cent is
129. A tradesman marks his goods at 25% above the cost price. If he reduces the marked price by 12 1/2 %, then his profit will be
(a) 9 3/8%
(b) 7 3/5%
(c) 6 3/8%
(d) 5 1/3%
130. If A: B = 7 :9 and B:C = 3:5, then A: B: C is equal to
(b) 21 : 35 : 45
(c) 7 : 9 :15
131. Mr. X spends 35% of his salary on food and 5% of his salary on children education. In January 2011, he spent Rs 17600 on these two items. His salary for that month is
(a) Rs 40000
(b) Rs 44000
(c) Rs 48000
(d) Rs 46000
132. A motorist travels along the boundary of a square field of area 1476225 m², at 36 km/h. He returns to starting point in
(a) 8 min 8 s
(b) 6 min 8 s
(c) 8 min 6 s
(d) 6 min 6 s
133. A sum of Rs 800 amounts to Rs 920 in 3 yr at the simple interest rate. If the rate is increased by 3% per annum, what will be the sum amount to in the same period?
(a) Rs 992
(b) Rs 962
(c) Rs 942
(d) Rs 982
134. Each edge of a regular tetrahedron is 4 cm. Its volume
(in cu cm) is
135. A table is sold at a profit of 13%. If it is sold for Rs 25 more, profit is 18%. Cost price of table is
(a) Rs 100
(b) Rs 500
(c) Rs 200
(d) Rs 1000
136. In an examination, 19% students fail in Mathematics and 10% students fail in English. If 7% of all students fail in both subjects, then the number of students passed in both subjects is
(a) 36% of all students
(b) 64% of all students
(c) 71% of all students
(d) 78% of all students
137. If α and β are positive acute angles, sin(4α – β) = 1 and cos(2α + β) = 1/2, then the value of sin(α + 2β) is
138. The angle of elevation of Sun changes from 30° to 45°, the length of the shadow of a pole decreases by 4 m, the height of the pole is (Assume √3 =1.732)
(a) 1.464 m
(b) 9.464 m
(c) 3.648 m
(d) 5.464 m
139. From an aeroplane just over a river, the angle of depression of two palm tree on the opposite bank of the river are found to be 60° and 30° respectively. If the breadth of the river is 400 m, then the height of the aeroplane above the river at that instant is (Assume √3 = 1.732)
(a) 173.2 m
(b) 346.4 m
(c) 519.6 m
(d) 692.8 m
140. If θ is a positive acute angle and cosec θ = √3, then the value of cotθ – cosecθ is
(b) √2(3+√3) /3
(c) √2 (3 – √3)/3
(d) 3√2 + √3/3
141. If 0° < A< 90°, then the value of tan²A + cot²A – sec²A cosec²A is
Directions (Q.Nos. 142-145) Study the graph carefully and answer the questions given below it.
142.The production of state D in 1993-94 is how many times its production in 1994-95?
143. Which of the following statement is false?
(a) State A and E showed the same production in 1993-94
(b) There was no improvement in the production of cotton in state B during 1994-95
(c) State A has produced maximum cotton during the given period
(d) Production of state C and D together is equal to that of state B during 1993-94.
144. How many states showing below average production in 1992-93 showed above average production in 1993-94?
145. What is the average production of the five states in the year 1994-95 taken together?
Directions (Q.Nos. 146-150) Study the graph and answer the questions.
146. The subject for which growing of demand is maximum is
147. The subject for which growing of demand is minimum is
148. The number of Chemistry seeking applicants increased by
149. The number of Physics seeking applicants increased by
150. The number of Mathematics seeking applicants increased by
Part IV General Awareness
151. Which one of the following mineral does not contain oxygen?
152. A non-electronic conductor is
(b) gas carbon
(c) copper Sulphate
153. Which of the following will replace hydrogen from acids to form salts?
154. Which type of lake is formed by volcanic activities?
(b) Fresh water lake
(c) Cladera lake
(d) Karst lake
155. Green manure is obtained from
(a) domestic vegetable waste
(b) oil seed husk cakes
(c) fresh animal excreta
(d) decomposing green legume plants
156. The environment includes
(a) abiotic factors
(b) biotic factors
(c) oxygen and Nitrogen
(d) abiotic and biotic factors
157. The temperate grasslands of North America are known as
158. In an E-R diagram; ellipse represents
159. Chemical name of common salt is
(a) sodium Chloride
(b) sodium bicarbonate
(d) sodium oxide
160. Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony 2013 has been given to
(a) Zubin Mehta
(b) Narendra Kohli
(c) Shalini Singh
(d) Arvind Aadiga
161. Winner of the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize 2013
(b) Angela Merkel
(c) Lydia Davis
(d) Christina Legarde
162. Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma is an exponent of
163. Moortidevi Award is given annually in which of the following fields?
164. Nobel Prizes are distributed annually at
(d) New York
165. ‘Freedom From Fear’ is a book written by
(a) Benazir Bhutto
(b) Corazon Aquino
(c) Aung San Suu Kyi
(d) Nayantara Sehgal
166. Who is the author of the book ‘Nineteen Eighty Four’?
(a) J M Barrie
(b) Walter Scott
(c) George Orwell
(d) Thomas Hardy
167. The 28th Annual Lata Mangeshkar Samman Alankaran 2013 was conferred to
(a) Sonu Nigam
(b) Kailash Kher
(d) AR Rahman
168. The Jawaharlal Nehru Port is located at
169. How many islands are there in Lakshadweep?
170. Capacity utilization
(a) is usually near 100%
(b) represents the per cent of the labour force that is employed
(c) is a measure of the proportional of the existing capital stock used for current production
(d) rises as the economy moves into a recession, since firms must replace unemployed workers with some other resources to maintain production
171. The theory of “Maximum Social Advantage” in Public Finance was given by
172. The value of investment multiplier relates to
(a) change in income due to change in autonomous investment
(b) change in autonomous investment due to change in income
(c) change in income due to change in consumption
(d) change in the income due to change in induced investment
173. The internal rate of return
(a) must be less than the interest rate if the firm is to. invest
(b) makes the present value of profits equal to the present value of costs
(c) falls as the annual yield of an investment rises
(d) is equal to the market interest rate for all the firm’s investment
174. As the number of investments made by a firm increases, its internal rate of return
(a) declines due to diminishing marginal productivity
(b) declines because the market rate of interest will fall, ceterisparibus
(c) increases to compensate the firm for the current consumption foregone
(d) increase because the level of savings will fall
175. Union Public Service Commission has to submit the report to the
176. How many times was the Preamble of the Constitution amended?
(a) Three times
(b) Two times
(d) Not amended
177. An ordinance issued by Governor is subject to approval by
(a) The President
(b) The State Legislature
(c) The State Council of Ministers
(d) The Parliament
178. Which rebellion in Bengal was highlighted by Bankim Chandra Chatteijee in his novel ‘Anand Math’?
(a) Chaur Uprising
(b) Sanyasi Rebellion
(c) Kol Uprising
(d) Santhal Uprising
179. Name the Greek Ambassador at the Mauryan Court
180. When the rule of the Delhi Sultan began?
(a) 1106 AD
(b) 1206 AD
(c) 1306 AD
(d) 1406 AD
181. Who introduced leather token currency in India?
182. When did the Constituent Assembly adopt National Anthem?
(a) 25th January, 1950
(b) 26th January, 1950
(c) 24th January, 1950
(d) 29th January, 1950
183. The President of India is an integral part of the
(c) Rajya Sabha
(d) Council of Ministers
184. The Panama Canal is different from the Suez Canal as it has
(a) lock system
(b) shorter route
(c) busy route
(d) less busy route
185. The area which is resistant to any massive structural transformation is called
(a) rigid mass
(b) ancient landmass
(c) tectonic plate
186. Llanos are the grasslands of
(a) Guyana Highlands
(b) Brazillian Highlands
187. The areas marked by internal drainage
188. The space retaining life in any form is called
189. Rhizobium is a kind of
(a) photosynthetic bacteria
(b) symbiotic bacteria
(c) parasitic bacteria
(d) saprophytic bacteria
190. Who was the contemporary South Indian ruler of Harshavardhana?
(b) Pulakeshin II
(d) Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar
191. Nappe is a kind of
(a) fluvial feature
(b) folded structure
(c) erosional plain
(d) delta region
192. The gametophyte is called prothallus in
193. The best example of polyembryony is
194. A moving neutron collides with a stationary α-particle. The fraction of the kinetic energy lost by the neutron is
195. Which of these waves can be polarized?
(a) Sound waves in air
(b) Longitudinal waves on a string
(c) Transverse waves on a string
196. The unit of Planck’s constant is
197. If a wire of resistance R is melted and recast to half of its length, then the new resistance of the wire will be
198. Hard copies can be obtained from
199. A Parenchyma cell which stores ergastic substance is known as
200. Root Hairs arise from
Hints & Solutions