SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 16
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 16
Part I General Intelligence
1. If x stands for +, ÷ stands for – and + stands for ÷, – stands for x, which one of the following is correct?
(a) 10-5×6÷2 = 64
(b) 15+3×4÷3 = 12
(c)12+4÷2-7 = 8
(d) 11-6÷4+2 = 64
2. Select the missing number from the given responses.
3.Some equations are solved on the basis of certain system. Find out the correct answer for the unsolved equation on that basis.
4x6x9= 649,9x8x4= 894,3x7x2= ?
Directions (Q.N0S. 4-6) A series is given with one term missing. Choose the correct alternate from the given ones that will complete the series.
4.2 6 12 20 30 ? 56
5.1, 4,10, 19, 31, ?
7.Sunita is the 11th from either end of a row of girls. How many girls are there in that row?
8. Shyama says that father of Rajiv’s father is my father. How Shyama is related to Rajiv?
(c) Father’s sister (aunt)
9. Two statements are given, followed by two Conclusions I and II. You have to consider the statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You have to decide which of the given conclusions if any, follow from the given statements.
All students are girls.
No girl is dull.
Conclusions I. There are no boys in the class.
II. No student is dull.
(a) Both Conclusions I and II follow
(b) Neither Conclusion I nor II follows
(c) Only Conclusion I follows
(d) Only Conclusion II follows
10. In a certain code, if DEMOCRACY is written as YCARCOMED, how will the word PRESIDENT be coded as?
Directions (Q.Nos. 11-13) Select the related word/letters/ number from the given alternatives.
11. Ring: Ear:: ? : Wrist
12. 7 : 45:: 5: ?
13. EFG : IJK :: MNO : ?
14. In a certain code, SURFER is written as RUSREF. How is KNIGHT written in that code?
15. Which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following words?
1. Ocean 2. Pond 3. River 4 Sea
(a) 1,3, 2, 4
(b) 2, 3, 4,1
(c) 3, 2,1,4
16. How many ‘0’ are followed by an even number and preceded by an odd number in the following series? 3025032032027040580704208
Directions (Q.Nos. 17-19) Select the one which the other three responses. is different from
20. Five friends are sitting on a bench. A is to the left of B but on the right of C. D is to the right of B but on the left of E. Who are at the extremes?
21. A piece of paper is folded, punched and opened as shown below in the question figure. From the given answer figures, indicate how it will appear when folded and punched?
22.Last Saturday was on the twentieth of the month. If Tuesday is 3 days ahead, what day of the week is today?
23.Select the answer figure in which the question figure is hidden/embedded.
24.From the following alternatives, select the word which cannot be formed using the letters of the given word. COMBINATION
25.A man starts for his office in the North direction. He turns to his left and then to his right and again to his right. In which direction will he be facing?
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-28) In the following questions, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (a),(b) and (c) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative In case no improvement is needed, your answer is (d).
26. Educational facilities in under developed nations are often limiting.
(d) No improvement
27. Doctors are known for their illegible hand writing.
(d) No improvement
28. He cited a number of reasons for his absence.
(d) No improvement
Directions (Q. Nos. 29-31) Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
29. A hater of women.
30. Easy to shape in any desired form.
31. Amount of money demanded by kidnappers.
Directions (Q. Nos. 32-34) In the following questions sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four alternatives.
32. A thorough search of the aircraft was carried___in the airport.
33. Discrimination___any form should be avoided.
34. My friend’s father died___cancer.
Directions (Q. Nos. 35-37) Choose the alternative which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q.Nos. 38-47) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out first read the passage over and try to understand what it is about Then, fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
Petroleum is the name of the (38) oil that comes from (39) the ground and from the oil wells. From this crude oil, we get the various (40) that drive ships, aircraft and many other forms of land (41). The Quantities needed are (42) so countries that have their own oil fields are (43). The (44) of oil in many parts of the Middle East has brought great (45) to countries that were,’ fifty years ago, very (46) Now a days without petroleum, commerce and industry are not (47) responses.
Directions (Q. Nos. 48-50) In these questions, the first and the last sentences of the paragraph are numbered as S1 and S6. The rest of the paragraph is split into four parts and named P, Q, R and 5. These four parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentences and find out, which of the four combinations is correct.
48. S1. Louis Washkansky was a 56 year old South African.
P. He had a damaged heart.
Q. A team of doctors led by Dr C Barnard was formed.
R. He could not be cured.
S. So the doctors decided to give him a new heart.
S6.The team conducted the operation.
The proper sequence should be
49. S1 . Bhima reached the Rakshasa’s den.
P. He was a monster with red hair and a red beard.
Q. He climbed down from the cart.
R. At once he sat down to eat the food.
S. The Rakshasa saw him.
S6. When he saw what Bhima was doing, he roared.
The proper sequence should be
50. S1 . His son fell into bad company of village boys.
P. The father wanted to wean his son from bad company.
Q. A few days later all bananas got spoiled.
R. His father was much worried about his son’s bad company.
S. To give a lesson to the son, his father gave him a few good bananas with a rotten one. .
S6. The boy understood the desired lesson his father wanted to give him.
The proper sequence should be
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51. If S is the circumcentre of Δ ABC and ∠ A = 50°, then the value of ∠BCS is
52. Let BE and CF be the two medians of a ΔABC and G be their intersection. Also, let EF cut AG at O. Then, AO: OG is
(b) 1 : 2
(c) 2 : 1
53. If the ratio of area of two similar triangles is 9 :16, then the ratio of their corresponding sides is
(a) 3 : 5
(b) 3 : 4
(c) 4 : 5
54. In an obtuse angled ΔABC, ∠A is the obtuse angle and O is the orthocentre. If ∠BOC = 54°, then ∠BAC is
55. If the distance between two points (0,-5) and (x, 0) is 13 unit, then x equal to
(b) ± 10
(d) ± 12
56. If a² + 1/a² = 98 (a > 0), then the value of a³ + 1/a³ will be
57. The number of seats in an auditorium is increased by 25%. The price of a ticket is also increased by 12%. Then, the increase in revenue collection will be
58. A man makes a profit of 20% on the sale by selling 20 articles for Rs 1. The number of articles he bought by Rs 1 is
59. With average speed of 40 km/h, a train reaches its destination in time. If it goes with an average speed of 35 km/h, it is late by 15 min. The total journey is
(a) 30 km
(b) 40 km
(c) 70 km
(d) 80 km
60. The average age of a jury of 5 is 40. If a member aged 35 resigns and a man aged 25 becomes a member, then the average age of the new jury is
(a) 30 yr
(b) 38 yr
(c) 40 yr
(d) 42 yr
61. An employer reduces the number of employees in the ratio 8 : 5 and increases their wages in the ratio 7: 9. As a result, the overall wages bill is
(a) increased in the ratio 56: 69
(b) decreased in the ratio 56:45
(c) increased in the ratio 13 :17
(d) decreased in the ratio 17:13
62. A rectangular garden is 100 m x 80 m. There is a path along the garden and just outside it. Width of the path is 10 m. The area of the path is
(c) 3660 sq m
(d) 4000 sq m
63. Two men A and B are started a job in which A was thrice as good as B and therefore took 60 days less than B to finish the job. How many days will they take to finish the job if they start working together?
(a) 15 days
(b) 20 days
(c) 22 1/2 days
(d) 25 days
64. A and B are partners in a business. A contributes 1/4 of the capital for 15 months and B received 2/3 of the profit. Find for how long B’s money was used.
(a) 6 months
(b) 8 months
(c) 10 months
(d) 12 months
65. The least multiple of 13 which when divided by 4, 5, 6, 7 leaves remainder 3 in each case is
66. The value of (1 + sec20° + cot 70°) (1 — cosec 20° + tan 70°) is
67. The rate of simple interest at which a sum of money becomes three times in 25 yr is
68. If 0≤α≤ π/2 and 2sinα + 15cos²α = 7, then the value of cotα is
69. If sin2θ = 1/2, then the value of cos(75° – θ) is
70. A grain dealer cheats to the extent of 10% while buying as well as selling by using false weights. His total profit percentage is
Directions (Q.Nos. 72-75) The following Bar Diagram shows the percentage of 7 coloured balls sold in 5 shops A, B, C, D and E. Study the graph and answer all the questions
72. The ratio of total percentage of red balls and total percentage of orange balls is
(c) 7 :9
73. What fraction of the total percentage of colour balls is to the percentage of total yellow balls?
74. In shop A, the ratio of percentage of violet balls and yellow balls is
(b) 6 :1
(c) 2 : 4
(d) 2 : 7
75. The difference between total number of per cent of violet balls and total number of per ,cent of blue balls is
Part IV Quantitative Aptitude
76. The pH value of soda water is
(c) less than 7
(d) greater than 7
77. Heavy water is used in
(c) nuclear reactors
(d) space crafts
78. The ‘Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary’ lies in the State of
(a) Uttar Pradesh
79. Plants in a food chain are actually the
(a) transitory organisms
(d) key industry organisms
80. The percentage of Nitrogen in the atmosphere is about
81.Aluminium is extracted from
82.Methane is not present in
(b) marsh gas
(c) bio gas
(d) fire damp
83. Who invented mercury thermometer?
(a) J J Thompson
(d) Michael Faraday
84.Kharchi Puja is celebrated in July each year in
85.Which of the following is correctly matched?
(a) Mizoram – Izawl
(b) Asom – Itanagar
(c) Arunachal Pradesh – Guwahati
(d) Nagaland – Shillong
86.‘Sun Temple’ known for its marvellous architecture is located at
87.The most important small-scale industry of India is
(a) electronics industry
(b) handloom industry
(c) sugar industry
(d) engineering industry
88.The extreme form of socialism is known as
89.Equilibrium price is otherwise known as
(a) constant price
(b) abnormal price
(c) high price
(d) normal price
90.The Panchayati Raj is based on the principle of
(a) democratic centralization
(d) democratic decentralization
91. The Speaker of the Lok Sabha can be removed from his office if
(a) Lok Sabha passes a no-confidence motion against him/her by a majority of total members of the House
(b) the President so decides
(c) Lok Sabha passes a no-confidence motion with a simple majority
(d) the Council of Ministers passes a resolution against him/her
92. In 1498, the Portuguese sailor Vasco-Da-Gama reached
93. The President of Constituent Assembly was
(c) Rajendra Prasad
94. The Northern part of West Coast of India is known as
(a) Konkan Coast
(b) Northern Circas Coast
(c) Coromandel Coast
(d) Malabar Coast
95. Of the following materials, which has the maximum thermal conductivity?
96. Which of the following will not operate on DC?
(a) Compound motor
(b) Series motor
(c) Shunt motor
(d) Induction motor
97. Diamond shines because of its
(a) high refractive index
(d) high density
98. An iron ball and a copper ball will have equal upthrust in a liquid when both the balls have same
99. The pasteurisation temperature of milk is
(c) 45 °C-50 °C
100. Who would be honoured with the annual ‘Lalit Arpan Samman’ for the year 2016?
(a) Subha Kayal
(b) Sudha Mudgal
(c) Shubha Mudgal
(d) Subi Kayal