SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 13
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 13
Part I General Intelligence
Directions (Q.Nos. 1-3) In the questions given below, select the related word/letter/ number from the given alternatives.
1. Bird: Feather :: ?
(a) Skin: Man
(b) Tree: Leaves
(c) Lady: Dress
(d) Fish: Scales
2. TIPS : SPIT :: GOD : ?
3. 4 : 27 :: 9 : ?
Directions (Q.Nos. 4-6) In the questions given below, select the one which is different from the other three responses.
7. In the question given below, which one of the given responses would be a meaningful order of the following words in ascending order?
1. Collector 2. Governor
3. Chief Secretary 4. President
(a) 5, 1,4, 3, 2
(b) 1,2, 3,4, 5
(d)5, 1,3, 4, 2
8. From the given alternatives, select the word which can be formed using the letters of the given word. MEASUREMENT
9. Find the wrong number in the given series.
9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 61
10. In the question given below, two statements are given followed by two Conclusions I and II. You have to consider the statements to be true even, if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You Eire to decide which of the given conclusions, if any, follow from the given statements. Statements Classical music is divine. Talented people can learn classical music easily.
I. Those who learn classical music become great.
II Only talented people can learn classical music.
(a) Neither Conclusion I nor II follows
(b) Only Conclusion I follows
(c) Only Conclusion II follows
(d) Both Conclusions I and II follow
11. Which one of the following diagrams best depicts the relationship among Elephants, Wolves and Animals?
12. A piece of paper is folded and cut as shown below in the question figures. From the given answer figures’, indicate how it will appear when opened?
13. A husband and a wife had five married sons and each of them had four children. How many members are there in
14. In a team of five players, Vani is older than Rani. Sita is younger than Vani but older than Rani. Nita is younger than
Mary and Rani. Rani is older than Mary. Whose age is in middle of all the five in this team?
15. If 38 + 15 = 66 and 29 + 36 = 99, then 82 + 44 = ?
16. If + means ÷, – means x, x means +, ÷ means -, then give
the value of 45 + 9 – 3 x 15 ÷ 2.
Directions (Q.Nos. 17 and 18) Select the missing number from the given responses.
Directions (Q.Nos. 19 and 20) Complete the following series.
20. 60, 69, 85,?, 146
21.A boy running towards South. turns to his right and runs. Then, he turns to his right and finally turns to his left. Towards which direction is he running now?
22.A word is represented by only one set of numbers as given in any one of the alternatives. The sets of numbers given in the alternatives are represented by two classes of alphabets as in two matrices given below. The columns and rows of Matrix I are numbered from 0 to 4 and that of Matrix II are numbered from 5 to 9. A letter from these matrices can represented first by its row and next by its column e.g., P can be represented by 11,32 etc. and K can be represented by 65,78 etc. Similarly, you have to identify the set for the word.
(b) 79, 13, 69, 75
23. From the given answer figures, select the one in which the question figure is hidden/embedded.
24. In certain code, RAGHAVAN is written as GARVAHNA. In that code which word will be written as MATHAVAN?
25. If FRIEND is coded as IULHQG how will you code ENEMY?
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-28) Choose the alternative which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 29-31) In the following questions sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word (s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four alternatives.
29. The teacher let us ___
(a) to go early
(b) to leave early
(c) go early
(d) early to go
30. Jane is annoyed__
(a) on me
(b) with me
(c) against me
(d) over me
31. I am not angry___you, Paul.
Directions (Q.Nos. 32-34) Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentence.
32. A geometrical figure with eight sides.
33. A man who wastes his money on luxury.
(d) None of these
34. A man having no hair on the scalp.
Directions (Q. Nos. 35-44) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out First read the passage over and try to understand what it is about. Then, fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
Everyone considers food, shelter, clothing and medical care to be the basic needs for a comfortable living. Even the government accepts this and (35) to provide all these. But very (36) people know that energy required for (37) and heating is also one of (38) basic needs. We are all aware (39) our country has achieved self-sufficiency in (40), but we have to go a (41) way (42) in order to (43)… sufficiency in the (44) of energy.
Directions (Q. Nos. 45-47) In the following questions, find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d).
45. We are going to launch (a)/this three-crores project (b)/ within the next few months, (c)No error (d)
46. I hope to go to shopping (a)/this weekend (b)/if the weather permits. (c)/No error (d)
47. The lawyer asked (a)/if it was worth to take (b)/the matter to court. (c)/No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 48-50) In each of the following questions four words are given, out of which only one word is correctly spelt Find the correctly spelt word.
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51. A certain number is divided into two parts such that 5 times the first part added to 11 times, the second part makes 7 times the whole. The ratio of the first part to the second part is
(a) 2 :1
(c) 1 : 2
52. What sum of money is to be divided among 3 persons in the ratio 3 :4: 7, so that the second person receives Rs 12 only?
53. The marked price is 10% higher than the cost price. A discount of 10% is given on the marked price. In this kind of sale, the seller
(a) losses 1.5%
(b) bears no loss, makes no gain
(c) gains 1%
(d) losses 1%
54. If an article is sold at a gain of 6% instead of at a loss of 6%, then the seller gets Rs 6 more. The cost price of the article is
55. The selling price of 20 articles is equal to the cost price of 22 articles. The gain percentage is
56. A number increased by 137 1/2% and the increment is 33. The number is 2
57. The average of 5 numbers is 20 and 4 of the numbers are 10, 15, 20 and 25. If the number are arranged in ascending order, then the average of the last three is
58. 60 kg of a certain variety of rice at Rs 32 per kg is mixed with 48 kg of another variety of rice and the mixture is sold at the average price of Rs 28 per kg. If there be no profit or loss due to the new sale price, then the price of the second variety of rice is
(a) Rs 25.60 per kg
(b) Rs 25 per kg
(c) Rs 23 per kg
(d) Rs 30 per kg
59.Three pipes A, B and C can fill a tank in 30 min, 20 min and 10 min, respectively. When the tank is empty, all the three pipes are opened. If A, Band C discharge chemical solutions P, Q and R respectively, then the part of solution R in the liquid in the tank after 3 min is
60.The simplified value of 112/√196 x √576/12 x √256/8 is
61. A, B and C can do a piece of work in 20, 24 and 30 days, respectively. They undertook to do the piece of work for Rs 5400. They begin the work together but B left 2 days before the completion of work and C left 5 days before the completion of work. The share of A from the assured money is
(a) Rs 2700
(b) Rs 540
(c) Rs 1800
(d) Rs 600
62. The cost price of a book is Rs 300. The shopkeeper wants to gain 20% after allowing a discount of 10% on the marked price. Then, the marked price of the book must be
63. Weight of a solid metal sphere of radius 4 cm is 4 kg. The weight of a hollow sphere made with same metal, whose outer diameter is 16 cm and inner diameter is 12 cm, is
(a) 20.5 kg
(b) 15.5 kg
(c) 16.5 kg
(d) 18.5 kg
64. The radii of a sphere and a right circular cylinder are equal and their curved surface areas are also equal. The ratio of their volumes is
(a) 3 : 4
(b) 2 : 3
(c) 3 : 2
(d) 4 : 3
65. A man covers a certain distance on scooter. Had he moved 3 km/h faster, he would have taken 40 min less. If he had
moved 2 km/h slower, he would have token 40 min more. The distance (in km) is
66. A sum of money amounts to Rs 2240 at 4% per annum simple interest in 3 yr. The interest on the same sum for 6 months at 3.5% per annum is
Directions (Q. Nos. 67 and 68) The adjoining pie chart represents the proposed outlay of the fifth-five year plan oft 40000 (in crores). Examine the chart and answer the questions.
67. The amount proposed on agriculture is more than that on industries and minerals by
68. The amount (in Rs crores) proposed on irrigation and power is less than that on industries and minerals by
69. The angles of depression, from the top of a light house, of two boats are 45° and 30° towards the west. If the two boats are 5 m apart, then the height of the light house is
(c)5/2(3√3 + 1)m
70. If √2 cos(5x + 5°) = cot 45°, then the value of x in degrees is
71. α + β = 90°and α : β = 2:1, then the value of sin α: sin β is
(a) √3 : 1
(b) 2 :1
(d)√2 : 1
72. Suppose AB is a diameter of a circle, whose centre is at O and C be any point on the circle. If CD⊥ AB and CD = 12 cm, AD = 16 cm, then BD is
(a) 10 cm
(b) 12 cm
(c) 8 cm
(d) 9 cm
73. In a ΔABC, AB = AC and D is a point on AB, such that AD = DC = BC. Then, the ∠BAC is
74. A, B and C are three points on a circle. The tangent at C meets BA produced at T. Given, ∠ATC =36° and ∠ACT = 48°, the angle subtended by AB at the centre of the circle is
75. A sum of Rs 8448 is to be divided between A and B who are respectively 18 yr and 19 yr old, in such a way that if their shares be invested at 6.25% per annum compound interest, they will receive equal amounts on attaining the age of 21 yr. The present share of A is
Part IV General Awareness
76. Who termed Cripps’ proposals as “a post dated cheque in a crashing bank”?
(d) Annie Besant
77. The State Jhansi was made a part of the British Empire in India through
(a) Policy of Subsidiary Alliance
(b) War against Rani Lakshmi Bai
(c) Doctrine of Lapse
(d) None of the above
78. Mahatma Gandhi started his Dandi March from
(b) Sabarmati Ashram
79. Which type of lake is formed by volcanic activities?
(b) Fresh water lake
(c) Caldera lake
(d) Karst lake
80. The well through which water comes out through hydraulic pressure is called
(a) Deep tube well
(b) Artesian well
(c) Ordinary well
(d) Tube well
81. Laughing gas is
(a) Nitrogen trioxide
(b) Nitrogen pentoxide
(c) Nitric Oxide
(d) Nitrous oxide
82. Clothes made of polyester dry quickly after washing because
(a) it is a water proof material
(b) it absorbs heat quickly
(c) water evaporates very quickly
(d) polyester absorbs very little water
83. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched?
(a) Pyrometer-measuring density of liquids
(b) Pyrheliometer- measuring high temperatures
(c) Seismograph-recording intensity of earthquake shock
(d) Pyknometer- measuring solar radiation
84. When a gas is compressed
(a) both pressure and temperature increase
(b) pressure increases and temperature decreases
(c) only pressure increases
(d) only temperature increases
85. Ozone layer in the upper parts of the atmosphere serves as a protective shield against harmful
(a) CO2 in the air
(b) SO2 in the air
(c) solar ultraviolet radiation
(d) solar infrared radiation
86. A vehicle will topple if
(a) it is less wide
(b) it is not heavy
(c) its centre of gravity is within the base
(d) its centre of gravity is outside its base
87. Which of the following is an amplifying device?
(a) A diode
(b) A resistor
(c) A transformer
(d) A transistor
88. The air becomes heated by
89. The density of water is
(a) maximum at 4°C
(b) maximum at -4°C
(c) constant at all temperatures
(d) maximum at 100°C
90. A ‘bug’ in a program is
(d) (b) and (c)
91. Which one of the following allows computers to transfer data using a telephone line?
92. In which of the following States, is the child sex ratio the lowest in India?
93. The book ‘Satanic Verses’ was written by
(a) Gabriela Sabatini
(b) Salman Rushdie
(c) Agatha Christie
(d) Gunnar Myrdal .
94. Metric system of measurement started in the country in
95. The Idukki hydroelectric plant is on river
96. Name of the temple in Indonesia where scenes from Ramayana and Mahabharatha are depicted.
(a) Angkor Wat
97. In which State is the Guru Shikhar peak located?
98. Which of the following cities in India is considered greenest?
99. Green manure is obtained from
(a) domestic vegetable waste
(b) oil seed husk cakes
(c) fresh animal excreta
(d) decomposing green legume plants
100. In which place, the First International Sikh Conclave started for the commemorative of 350th birth anniversary celebration of Guru Gobind Singh?
(a) Shillong (Meghalaya)
(b) Dispur (Assam)
(c) Bhubaneshwar (Odisha)
(d) Patpa (Bihar)