SSC CHSL LDC/ DEO/ PSA Practice Workbook – Practice Set 12
SSC CHSL Combined Higher Secondary (10+2) Level LDC & Data Entry Operator, Practice Workbook – Practice Set 12
Part I General Intelligence
Directions (Q. Nos. 1-3)Select the related word/number from the given alternatives.
1. Scale : Length :: Seismograph: ?
(a) Blood pressure
2. Ornithologist: Bird :: Archaeologist: ?
3. MAHESH : 154362 :: SHAME : ?
Directions (Q. Nos. 4 and 5) Find the odd word/number from the given alternatives.
(b) Wall clock
(c) Mobile phone
6. Fathima while introducing Mustafa to her husband said, his brother’s father is the only son of my grandfather. How is Fathima related to Mustafa?
7. In the question given below, two statements are given followed by two Conclusions I and II. You have to consider the statements to be true even, if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. You are to decide which of the given conclusions, if any, follow from the given statements. Statements All players are doctors.
Some doctors are actors.
I. Some doctors are players as well as actors.
II. All actors are doctors.
(a) Neither Conclusion I nor II follows
(b) Only Conclusion I follows
(c) Only Conclusion II follows
(d) Both Conclusions I and II follow
8.P’s age is equal to Q. R is younger than S. T is younger than R but elder than P. Which one is the oldest?
9. If numbers starting with 950 are Airtel numbers, how many Airtel numbers are there in the below‘series ?
944340 950125 953074
950435 951095 952135
952257 940444 940415
950799 951025 950723
950555 950677 953099
10.Which one set of letters when sequentially placed at the gaps in the given letter series shall complete it?
pqr_ _rs_rs s_q _
11. Arrange the following in correct order
1. Taluk 2. State
3. Street 4. Village
(a) 3, 2, 4,1,5
(b) 3, 4, 1,5,2
(c) 1,2, 5, 4,3
(d) 3, 4, 5,1,2
Directions (Q. Nos. 12 and 13) Select the missing number from the given responses.
14. Shankar and Ganesh walked 150 m towards East. Shankar turned left and walked 100 m. Ganesh went straight for another 100 m. Afterwards Ganesh turned to right and Shankar turned left. In which directions are they facing now?
(a) North and South
(b) South and North
(c) East and North
(d) West and South
15. A word is represented by only one set of numbers as given in any one of the alternatives. The sets of numbers given in the alternatives are represented by two classes of alphabets as in the 2 matrices given below. The columns and rows of matrix I are numbered from 0 to 4 and that of matrix II from 5 to 9. A letter from these matrices can be represented first by its row and next column number, e.g., F can be represented by 14, 21 etc. T can be represented by 59, 78 etc. Similarly, identify the set for the word.
(a) 75, 86, 67, 14
(b) 56, 67, 77, 01
(c) 87, 55, 89, 43
(d) 68, 98, 58, 21
16. Which number space indicates Indian teachers who are also advocates?
17. If America is called Greenland, Greenland is called Africa, Africa is called Russia, Russia is called India and India is called Pakistan, then Delhi is called the capital of which country?
18. From the given alternative words, select the word which cannot be formed using the letters of the given word. CORRESPONDENT
19. Find the one that does not belong to the group.
75, 79, 72, 80, 69, 83, 66
20. Find the missing term of the series.
BFG, HLM, NRS, ?
21. Two positions of a dice are shown. When 4 is at the bottom, what number will be one the top?
22. In the following series, how many P, D and R occur in such a way that D is followed both by P and R on any one side (in reverse way also)?
23. In a certain code, the following alphabets are coded in a certain way by assigning numbers.
A B C D E F G H
1 3 5 2 6 8 4 7
Which number can be coded for FEDCG?
24. Find the answer figure which completes the question figure. Question Figure
25. In the question, one part of the questions figure is subtracted. Select the option that shows the correct shape after subtraction.
Part II English Language
Directions (Q. Nos. 26-28) In the following questions, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part at (a), (b) and (c) which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is required, your answer is (d).
26. James had been teaching at the university since Tune.
(a) has been teaching
(b) have been teaching
(c) is teaching
(d) No improvement
27. He has been growing weaker and his life now hangs with a thread.
(d) No improvement
28. The passengers were afraid, but the captain consoled them that there was no danger.
(d) No improvement
Directions (Q. Nos. 29-31) Choose the alternative which is opposite in meaning to the given word.
Directions (Q. Nos. 32-34) In the following questions choose the word similar in meaning to the given word.
(b) Art form
(c) Type of medicine
(d) emotional shock
Directions (Q. Nos. 35-37) In the following questions, find out which part of a sentence has an error. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is (d).
35.Speakers after speakers (a)/come on the stage (b)/to perform. (c)/No error (d)
36.The Vice-Chancellor (a)/wants all vacancies (b)/to be filled up. (c)/No error (d)
37.In world of ours (a)/one has to compete (b)/for almost everything. (c)/No error (d)
Directions (Q.Nos. 38-47) In the following passage, some of the words have been left out First read the passage over and try to understand what it is about Then, fill in the blanks with the help of the alternatives given.
The true elixir of life near to our hands is the commonest of all liquids, plain water. It has (38) a role of vast significance in (39) the course of Earth’s history and (40) to play the leading role in the (41) of life on the surface of our (42) Indeed, there is nothing here which (43) so much to the beauty of the (44) as water,, be it just a little (45) trickling over the rocks or a (46) pond by the way side where animals (47) their thirst.
(c) human beings
Directions (Q. Nos. 48-50) In these questions, four alternatives are suggested for the given idiom/phrase. Choose the alternative, which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
48. To be above board
(a) to have a good height
(b) to be honest
(c) having no debts
(d) to try to be beautiful
49. To cry wolf.-
(a) to listen eagerly
(b) to give false alarm
(c) to turn pale
(d) to keep off starvation
50. Wrong side of seventy
(a) more than seventy years old
(b) less than seventy years old
(c) seventy years old
(d) eighty years old
Part III Quantitative Aptitude
51. ABCD is a cyclic trapezium with AB || DC and AB diameter of the circle. If ∠CAB = 30°, then ∠ADC is
52. ABC is a triangle. The bisectors of the internal angle ∠B and external angle ∠C intersect at D. If ∠BDC = 50°, then ∠A is
53. In a circle of radius 17 cm, two parallel chords of lengths 30 cm and 16 cm are drawn. If both the chords are on the same side of the centre, then the distance between the chords is
(a) 9 cm
(b) 7 cm
54. One man, 3 women and 4 boys can do a piece of work in 96 h, 2 men and 8 boys cam do it in 80 h, 2 men and 3 women can do it in 120 h. 5 men and 12 boys can do it in
55. The interest on a certain sum of money is Rs 22 and the discount on the same sum for the same time and at the same rate is Rs 20, find the sum
56. The ratio of monthly incomes of A, B is 6 : 5 and their monthly expenditures are in the ratio 4 : 3. If each of them saves Rs 400 per month, find the sum of their monthly incomes
57. A and B have together three times what B and C have, while A, B, C together have Rs 30 more than that of A. If B has 5 times that of C, then A has
(a) Rs 60
(b) Rs 65
(c) Rs 75
(d) Rs 45
58. A man rows down a river 15 km in 3 h with the stream and returns in 7 1/2h. The rate at which he rows in still water is
(a) 2.5 km/h
(c) 3.5 km/h
59. If a + 1/a-2 = 4, then the value of (a — 2)² +(1/a-2)² is
60. A rectangular grassy plot is 110 m by 65 m. It has a uniform path 2.5 m wide all around it on the inside. The area of the path is
(a) 750 m²
(b) 850 m²
(c) 950 m²
(d) 1050 m²
61. The cost of manufacture of an article was Rs 900. The trader wants to gain 25% sifter giving a discount of 10%. The marked price should be
62. If x = a sec θ cos Φ,y = b sec θsin Φ and z = c tan θ, then the value of x²/a²+y²/b²-z²/c² is .
63. The average age of 14 girls and their teacher’s age is 15 yr. If the teacher’s age is excluded, then the average reduces by 1. What is die teacher’s age?
(a) 29 yr
(b) 35 yr
(c) 32 yr
(d) 30 yr
64. The value of a machine depreciates every year at the rate of 10% on its value at the beginning of that year. If the current value of the machine is Rs 729, then its worth 3 yr ago was
65. The curved surface area and the total surface area of a cylinder are in the ratio 1:2. If the total surface area of the right cylinder is 616 cm², then its volume is
(c) 1232 cm³
(d) 1848 cm³
66. The arithmetic mean of the scores of a group of students in a test was 52. The brightest 20% of them secured a mean score of 80 and the dullest 25%, a mean score of 31. The mean score of remaining 55% is
67. If cos x + cos2 x = 1, then the numerical value of (sin12 x + 3sin10 x + 3sin8 x + sin6 x — 1) is
68. If the median drawn on the base of a triangle is half its base, then the triangle will be
(a) obtuse angled
(c) right angled
(d) acute angled
69. Two pipes P and Q can fill a cistern in 12 min and 15 min, respectively. If both are opened together and at the end of
3 min, the first is closed. How much longer will the cistern take to fill?
(c) 5 min
70. The square root of 33 – 4√35 is
(a) (√7 – 2√5)
(b) ± (2√7 -√5)
(c)± (2√7 + √5)
(d) ±(√7 + 2√5)
71. The price of sugar having gone down by 10%, a consumer can buy 5 kg more sugar for Rs 270. The difference between the original and reduced price per kg is
(a) 62 paise
(b) 60 paise
(c) 75 paise
(d) 53 paise
72. If a sinθ + b cosθ = c, then the value of a cosθ – b sinθ is
Directions (Q. Nos. 73-75) A health drink company prepares the drinks of three different flavours P, Q and R. The production of three flavours over a period of six years has been expressed as bar graph provided below. Study the graph and answer the questions.
Production of 3 Different Flavours of Health Drinks of a Company 6 Years in (lakh bottles)
73.What was the approximate decline in the production of flavour R in 2010 as compared to the production of 2008 in percentage?
74. The average annual production of which flavour was maximum in the given period?
(a) Both P and R
(b) Only P
(c) Both P and Q
(d) Only Q
75. The percentage of the total production of flavour R in 2007 and 2008 with respect to the production of flavour P in 2005 and 2006 is
Part IV General Awareness
76. Rabies is a
(a) helminthic disease
(b) viral disease
(c) bacterial disease
(d) protozoan disease
77. Tuberculosis is transmitted through
(a) droplet transmission
(b) blood transfusion
(c) contaminated water
(d) sexual contact
78. Antibodies are mainly synthesised from
79. Which of the following is a parthenocarpic fruit?
80. Viruses are
81. The quantity ‘weight’ is measured by
(a) beam balance
(b) common balance
(c) spring balance
(d) balance wheel
82. A browser is a software
(a) to find out computers in a LAN
(b) to log into a computer
(c) to search for web pages in internet
(d) None of the above
83. The gas used for artificial ripening of green fruit is
(d) carbon dioxide
84. In which medium velocity of sound is maximum?
85. Glass is
(a) super cooled liquid
(b) crystalline solid
(c) liquid crystal
(d) None of these
86. National Library, the largest in India, is located in
87. What is the basis of classification of Governments as unitary and federal?
(a) Relationship between the Centre and States
(b) Relationship between the legislature, executive and judicial wings of Government
(c) Relationship between legislature and executive
(d) Relationship between executive and judiciary
88. Who appoints Secretary General of the Lok Sabha?
(b) Leader of Ruling Party
(c) Deputy Speaker
89. Which of the following is presided by a non-member?
(b) Vidhan Parishad
(c) Lok Sabha
(d) Rajya Sabha
90. In the integration of Princely States, the following played a major role
(a) Vallabhbhai Patel and VP Menon
(b) Vallabhbhai Patel and Jawaharlal Nehru
(c) Pannikar and Kunzru
(d) SK Dhar and Fazal Ali
91. Who among the following Viceroys became a victim of one of the convicts during his visit to the Andamans?
92. The addition to total cost by producing an additional unit of output by a firm is called
(a) marginal cost
(b) opportunity cost
(c) variable cost
(d) average cost
93. The main difference between Gross Domestic Product
(GDP) and Gross National Product (GNP) is
(a) capital consumption allowance
(b) capital gains
(c) transfer payments
(d) net foreign income from abroad
94. NABARD is a/an
(a) insurance corporation
(b) central government department
(d) financial institution
95. Central Highlands of Indian peninsular block are formed of
(a) igneous and metamorphic rocks
(b) sedimentary rocks
(c) sedimentary and metamorphic rocks
(d) igneous and sedimentary rocks.
96. Which of the following is a monogenetic parasite?
97. Which of the following acids is synthesized in human stomach?
(a) Hydrochloric acid
(b) Phosphoric acid
(c) Sulphuric acid
(d) Nitric acid
98. Filaria is transmitted by
(a) Culex mosquito
(b) swamp mosquito
(c) Aedes mosquito
(d) Anopheles mosquito
99. The Third Battle of Panipat was fought between
(a) the Mughals and the Afghans
(b) the Marathas and the Rajputs
(c) the Marathas and the Afghans
(d) the Marathas and the Mughals
100. Which of the following days is observed as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer?
(a) September 10
(b) September 12
(c) September 14
(d) September 16