Campus Recruitment – Logical Reasoning – Alphabet Test
In Alphabet Test questions, some words are given where you have to arrange them in the dictionary order and then state which word will come in the desired place. There are 5 types of problems in alphabet test. They are,
1) Alphabetical order of words
2) Letter-Word Problems
4) Alphabetical Quibble
5) Word Formation
Let us discuss all the above types.
1) Alphabetical order of words: To solve these type of problems, you should have basic knowledge of dictionary order or alphabetical order of the words and their usage. Some words are given below which are arranged in the dictionary order (or) alphabetical order.
Arrangement of the words in Alphabetical order:
Step-1: Consider all the given words. Observe the first letter of each word and then arrange the words according to first letter like as they appear in the dictionary.
Example: Apple, Shop, Royal, Forest, Tour.
The first letters of these words are A, S, R, F, T. Alphabetical or dictionary order of these words is A, F, R, S, T.
So, the correct alphabetical order of these words is : Apple, Forest, Royal, Shop, Tour.
Step-2: If two or more words begin with the same letter, then arrange them in the order of 2nd letters in the English alphabet.
Example:Arrange the below words in dictionary order. Dress, Door, Function, Hall, Wedding.
The words Dress and Door have their first letter D.
So, you have to consider their second letters i.e. r and o. In the dictionary order ‘o’ comes before ‘r’. Hence the word Door comes before the word Dress.
Hence, the correct order of given words is Door, Dress, Function, Hall, Wedding.
Step-3: If both the 1st and 2nd letters of two or more words are same, then consider third letter and so on.
2) Letter-Word Problems: In this type of problems, one word is given, the candidate is required to find the number of pairs of letters from the word which has as many letters between them as in the English alphabet.
Example: How many pairs of letters are there in the word ‘ABSENT’ which have as many letters between them in the word as in the English alphabet?
Explanation: Clearly, such pair is A and B. In the word ABSENT there are no letters between A and B.
In alphabets also A and B has no letters between them. So, the number of pairs is only one.
3) Rule-Detection: In this type of problems, a rule is given followed by a series, you have to find out the word which follows the given rule. .
Example: Number of letters skipped in between adjacent letters in the series are increased by one. Which of the following alternative observes this rule ?
a) IJKOT b) HJMQT c) DFIJK
d) KMPTY e) None of these
Explanation: Considering the given options. From option-d, we have, the letters skipped between adjacent letters in the series are increased by 1. i.e.
4) Alphabetical Quibble: In this type of questions, the alphabets from A to Z are given. The position of a particular letter is given in the form of a puzzle. And you have to find the required letter accordingly. Some times it is also required to find out how many occurrences of a particular letter satisfies the given condition in the series.
Example: In the below given series of letters, which letter is 7th to the right of 13th letter from your left ?
Explanation.: Counting from left (i.e. from A to its right), 13th letter is M. Now count from M towards right, the 7th letter is T.
Example: If the series given in above example is arranged in reverse order, which letter will be 8th letter to .the left of 7th letter counting from the right end?
Explanation: The reverse of the above series is,
Now, 7th letter from right end is G. And 8th letter to the left of G is O.
5)Word Formation: In this type of questions, one word is given along with some rules. You are required to find out the number of meaningful words from the given word following the rules given in the question.
Example: A meaningful word is formed by taking 1st, 4th, 5th, 7th, 10th, 11th, 12th letters of the word ‘FELICITATIONS’. Which of the following will be the 5th letter of that word from the right end?
a) C b) N c) C d) I e) None of these
Explanation: The 1st, 4th, 5th, 7th, 10th,11th and 12th letters of the word are F, I, C, T, I, O, N respectively. The meaningful word formed is FICTION. The fifth letter from the right is C.
1) If the first four words in the sentence, “we wont wash windows with water” are arranged in the alphabetical order, what is second word from right end in those four words?
a) we b) wash c) wont d) windows e) with
Explanation: Alphabetical order of the first four words is wash, we, windows, wont. The second word from right in that order is windows. So, option-d is correct choice.
2) Which of the following word will be in the middle when arranged in alphabetical order.
a) Amphibian b) Amorphous c) Ambidextrous
d) Ambiguous e) Ambivalent
Explanation: Alphabetical order of given words is, Ambidextrous, Ambiguous, Ambivalent, Amorphous, Amphibian. Hence, the middle word is Ambivalent.
3) Choose the alternative among the four options that is the correct alphabetical order of the following words.
(1) Clever (2) Clay (3) Carpenter (4) Correspondent (5) Cement
a) 5,3,2,1,4 b) 3,5,2,1,4 c) 3,5,1,2,4 d) 3,5,1,4,2
Explanation: Alphabetical order of the given words is: Carpenter, Cement, Clay, Clever, Correspondent. (3,5,2,1,4)
4) How many pairs of letters are there in the word ‘ADEQUATELY’ which have as many letters between them in the word as in the English alphabet? .
a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4 e) No such pairs exist
Hence, the number of pairs are 3.
5) How many letters are there in the word ‘CREATION’ which have as many letters between them in the word as in the English alphabet.
a) 2 b) 1 c) 4 d) 6 e) 3
Hence, the number of pairs are only 2.
6) How many independent meaningful words can be formed from the word ‘LAPAROSCOPY’ without changing the order of the letters and using each letter only once?
a) 2 b) 4 c) 1 d) 5 e) 3
Explanation: The meaningful words formed are LAP and COPY = 2 words.
7) Number of letters skipped between adjacent letters in the series are in the order of 2, 5, 7, 10. Which of the following series observes the rule given above?
a) FNKOU b) TLGDC c) QTZHS
d) SYBEP e) None of these
Explanation: From option-c, Q(RS)T(UVWXY)Z(ABCDEFG)H(IJKLMNOPQR)S.
8) Choose the series in which the letters are skipped between adjacent letters is in decreasing order.
a) XMZLM b) HNWSA c) NSXCH
d) AGMVR e) SYDHK
The series which follows the given rule is SYDHK.
9) In the following series, count each N which is immediately followed by X but X is not immediately followed by T. How many such N’s are there? NXNTQMNXTMXNXCNQMNXQNXTX N AMXNM
a) 4 b) 2 c) 6 d) 3 e) 1
Hence, the number of N’s are 3.
10) Which two neighbors in the given sequence are farthest in the alphabetical order? HDYSMWNBQPOCRTBLZVE
a) C, Q b) F, W c) D, Y d) Q, E e) None of these
Explanation: Let us verify from options.
Option-a: Between C and Q, there are 14 letters in alphabetical order. Similarly,
Option-b: F-W = 17 letters. Option-c: D-Y = 21 letters. Option-d: Q-E = 12 letters.
D and Y are separated by maximum number of letters.
11) Choose one word out of the given alternatively which cannot be formed from the letters of the word REASONABLE.
a) BONES b) NOBLE c) ARSON d) BRAIN e) None
Explanation: Except the word BRAIN, all the words can be formed from the given word.
12) Which word can be formed from the following letters -a a d e f g r s u.
a) Stagnation b) Safeguard c) Pseudo grade
d) grand son e) None of these
Explanation: The word formed is ‘safeguard’.
Directions (1-2): Arrange the following words in the dictionary order and choose the correct option.
1) 1. Plenty 2. Plane 3. Player 4. Place 5. Plain
a) 4, 5, 3, 2,1 b) 4,1, 3, 2, 5 c) 4, 5, 2, 3,1
d) 1, 4, 5, 3, 2 e) 4,1, 3, 5, 2
2) 1. Luxury 2. Laxmi 3. Laxity 4. Luxuriant 5. Laziness
a) 2, 3,1, 4, 5 b) 3, 2, 5, 4,1 c) 3, 2, 5,1, 4
d) 3, 2, 1,4, 5 e) 2, 3, 4,1, 5
3) Find the word which appears in the middle after arranging the given words in dictionary order ?
a) ramification b) recapitulate c) recalcitrant
d) refutation e) rejuvenate
4) Choose the word which appears second from the right end of the given words after arranging them in dictionary order.
a) wrinkle b) wriggle c) writhe d) wretch e) wrath
5) How many pairs of letters the word ‘SUCCESS’ have as many letters between them in the word as in the English alphabet.
a) 1 b) 3 c) 2 d) 5 e) 4
6) How many pairs of letters are there in the word ‘EXCHANGE’ which has as many letters between them in the word as in the alphabet.
a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4 e)>4
7) From the word ‘ASTOUNDER’, how many independent words can be made without changing the order of the letters and using each letter only once?
a) 0 b) 1 c) 2 d) 3 e)4
8) Which letter will be fifth from the right if the 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th letters and so on are interchanged in the word COMPANIONATE?
a) A b) I c) N d) O e) None
9) Number of letters skipped between adjacent letters in the series is in the order of 1², 2², 3². Which of the following series follows that rule ?
a) CEJT b) ECLO c) EGLP d)RTWZ e)PQRZ
10) Number of letters skipped in between adjacent letters in series is two. Which on of the following alternatives observes this rule?
a) CHIZ b) FILO c) YACD d) LMOR e) None
11) In which of the following letter sequences, there is a letter leaving two alphabets in order, after the letters at odd positions and leaving one alphabet in order after the letters at even numbered positions?
a) ADFIKN b) BEGJLN c) CFHKLO
d) DFIKNP e) ABCDE
12 to 16 questions are based on the following series. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ RSTUVWXYZ
12) If every alternate letter starting from E is deleted from the given alphabet, which of the following will be tenth letter from the right end?
a) F b) N c) H d) T e) J
13) Which letter should be 10th letter to the left of 11th letter from the right, if the first half of the given alphabets are reversed?
a) G b) F c) N d)J e) H
14) If the lsl and 2nd letters interchange their positions and similarly 3rd and 4th letters, 5th and 6th letters and so on, which letter will be 16th from your left?
a) P b) R c) Q d) O e) N
15) If every even letter beginning from B is replaced by odd number beginning with 3, which letter/ number will be 3rd to the left of 9th number/letter from right?
a) U b) 15 c) O d) 21 e) 13
16) In the given alphabet, starting from the 5th letter form the left, if twelve letters are written in reverse order, then which letter will be 9th to the right of the 16th letter from the left?
a) X b) N c) M d) Y e) T
Directions(17-19): In the following questions, a group of letters are given which are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. From the given five options select the sequence of numbers, such that if the letters are arranged in that order will form a meaningful word.
I C A N O T
1 2 3 4 5 6
a) 1,2,4,5,3,6 b) 6,5,3,2,4,1 c) 3,2,6,1,5,4
d) 4,5,6,3,2,1 e) 3,2,6,4,5,1
H M I U T R P
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
a) 4,5,3,7,6,2,1 b) 5,6,3,4,2,7,1 c) 5,3,2,6,1,7,4
d) 4,3,5,7,64,2 e) 5,2,64,4,7,3
E T R M H O
1 2 3 4 5 6
a) 4,6,2,54,3 b) 34,2,5,4,6 c) 4,6,2,1,3,5
d) 4,24,3,5,6 e) 3,2,1,5,6,4
20) Choose the meaningful word that can be formed from the following letters. biinosstttuu
a) stinsubtutio b) tutionbusist c) tuitionsistub
d) substitution e) substations
21) If it is possible to make a meaningful word out of the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 8th letters of the word ‘ILLOGICAL’ then which of the following will be the third letter of the so formed word? If more than one word can be formed, then given X as your answer. If no meaningful word can be formed, then give Z as your answer.
a) A b) G c) O d) X e) Z