NEET AIPMT Chemistry Chapter Wise Solutions – p-Block Elements (Group 15 to 18)
1.Match the interhalogen compounds of column-I with the geometry in column-II and assign the correct code. (NEET 2017)
2.In which pair of ions both the species contain S — S bond? (NEET 2017)
(a) S4062-, S2032-
(b) S2072-, S2082-
(c) S4062-, S2072-
3.Match the compounds given in column I with the hybridisation and shape given in column II and mark the correct option. (NEET-1 2016)
4.Which is the correct statement for the given acids? (NEET-1 2016)
(a) Phosphinic acid is a monoprotic acid while phosphonic acid is a diprotic acid.
(b) Phosphinic acid is a diprotic acid while phosphonic acid is a monoprotic acid.
(c) Both are diprotic acids.
(d) Both are triprotic acids.
5.Which one of the following orders is correct for the bond dissociation enthalpy of halogen molecules? (NEET-1 2016)
6.When copper is heated with cone. HN03 it produces (NEET-1 2016)
(a) CU(N03)2 NO and N02
(b) CU(N03)2 and N20
(c) Cu(N03)2 and N02
(d) CU(N03)2 and NO
7.Among the following, the correct order of acidity is (NEET-1 2016)
(c) HCIO3 < HCIO4 < HCIO2 < HCIO
8.Strong reducing behaviour of H3P02 is due to (2015)
(a) high electron gain enthalpy of phosphorus
(b) high oxidation state of phosphorus
(c) presence of two -OH groups and one P—H bond
(d) presence of one -OH group and two P—H bonds.
9.The variation of the boiling points of the hydrogen halides is in the order HF > HI > HBr > HCl. What explains the higher boiling point of hydrogen fluoride? (2015)
(a) There is strong hydrogen bonding between HF molecules.
(b) The bond energy of HF molecules is greater than in other hydrogen halides.
(c) The effect of nuclear shielding is much reduced in fluorine which polarises the HF molecule.
(d) The electronegativity of fluorine is much higher than for other elements in the group.
10. Which of the statements given below is incorrect? (2015)
(a) 03 molecule is bent.
(b) ONF is isoelectronic with 02N–
(c) OF2 is an oxide of fluorine.
(d) Cl207 is an anhydride of perchloric acid.
11. The formation of the oxide ion, O2- (g) from oxygen atom requires first an exothermic and then an endothermic step as shown below :
O(g) + e–—> O–(g); ΔfH° =-141 kJ mol-1
O– (g)+ e–—-> 02-(g); ΔfH° = +780 kJ mol-1
Thus, process of formation of 02- in gas phase is unfavourable even though O2- is isoelectronic with neon. It is due to the fact that, (2015)
(a) 0– ion has comparatively smaller size than oxygen atom
(b) oxygen is more electronegative
(c) addition of electron in oxygen results in larger size of the ion
(d) electron repulsion outweighs the stability gained by achieving noble gas configuration.
12. Nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide have some properties in common. Which property is shown by one of these compounds, but not by the other? (2015, Cancelled)
(a) Is soluble in water.
(b) Is used as a food preservative.
(c) Forms ‘acid-rain’.
(d) Is a reducing agent.
13. Acidity of diprotic acids in aqueous solutions increases in the order (2014)
(d) H2Se < H2Te < H2S
14. Which is the strongest acid in the following? (NEET 2013)
15. Which one of the following molecules contains no π bond? (NEET 2013)
16. Which of the following does not give oxygen on heating? (NEET 2013) ‘
17. Identify the incorrect statement, regarding the molecule Xe04 : (Karnataka NEET 2013)
(a) Xe04 molecule is square planar.
(b) There are four pπ – dπ bonds.
(c) There are four sp³ – p, σ bonds.
(d) Xe04 molecule is tetrahedral.
18. In which of the following compounds, nitrogen exhibits highest oxidation state? (2012)
19. Which of the following statements is not valid for oxoacids of phosphorus? (2012)
(a) Orthophosphoric acid is used in the manufacture of triple superphosphate.
(b) Hypophosphorous acid is a diprotic acid.
(c) All oxoacids contain tetrahedral four coordinated phosphorus.
(d) All oxoacids contain atleast one P=0 unit and one P—OH group.
20. Sulphur trioxide can be obtained by which of the following reaction? (2012)
(a) CaS04 + C–Δ–>
(b) Fe2(S04)3 –Δ–>
(c) S + H2S04 –Δ–>
(d) H2S04 + PCl5 –Δ–>
21. In which of the following arrangements the given sequence is not strictly according to the property indicated against it? (Mains 2012)
(a) HF < HCl < HBr < HI : increasing acidic strength
(b) H20 < H2S < H2Se < H2Te : increasing pKa values
(c) NH3 < PH3 < AsH3 < SbH3 : increasing acidic character
(d) C02 < Si02 < Sn02 < Pb02 : increasing oxidising power
22. Oxidation states of P in H4P205, H4P206, H4P207 are respectively (2010)
23. The correct order of increasing bond angles in the following species is (2010)
(a) Cl20 < Clo2 < Clo2–
(b) Cl02 < Cl20 < Clo2–
(c) Cl20 < Clo2– < Clo2
(d) Clo2– < Cl20 < Clo2
24. How many bridging oxygen atoms are present in P4O10? (Mains 2010)
25. Among the following which is the strongest oxidising agent? (2009)
26. The angular shape of ozone molecule (03) consists of (2008)
(a) lσ and 1π bond
(b) 2σ and 1π bond
(c) lσ and 2π bonds
(d) 2σ and 2π bonds
27. Which one of the following orders correctly represents the increasing acid strengths of the given acids? (2007, 2005)
(a) HOClO < HOCl < HOClO3< HOClO2
(c) HOClO3 < HOClO2 < HOClO < HOCl
(d) HOCl < HOClO < HOClO2 < HOClO3
28. The electronegativity difference between N and F is greater than that between N and H yet the dipole moment of NH3 (1.5 D) is larger than that of NF3 (0.2 D). This is because (2006)
(a) in NH3 the atomic dipole and bond dipole are in the opposite directions whereas in NF3 these are in the same direction
(b) in NH3 as well as in NF3 the atomic dipole and bond dipole are in the same direction
(c) in NH3 the atomic dipole and bond dipole are in the same direction whereas in NF3 these are in opposite directions
(d) in NH3 as well as in NF3 the atomic dipole and bond dipole are in opposite directions.
29. Which one of the following orders is not in accordance with the property stated against it? (2006)
(a) F2 > Cl2 > Br2 > I2: Bond dissociation energy
(b) F2 > Cl2 > Br2 > I2 : Oxidising power
(c) HI > HBr > HCl > HF: Acidic property in water
(d) F2 > Cl2 > Br2 > I2 : Electronegativity.
30. In which of the following molecules are all the bonds are not equal? (2006)
31. What is the correct relationship between the pH of isomolar solutions of sodium oxide, Na20 (pH1), sodium sulphide, Na2S (pH2), sodium selenide, Na2Se (pH3) and sodium telluride Na2Te (pH4)? (2005)
(a) pH1 > pH2 > pH3 > pH4
(b) pH1 > pH2 = PH3 > pH4
(c) pH1 < pH2 < pH3 < pH4
(d) pH1 < pH2 < pH3 = pH4
32. Which one of the following oxides is expected to exhibit paramagnetic behaviour? (2005)
33. Which of the following would have a permanent dipole moment? (2005)
34. Among K, Ca, Fe and Zn, the element which can form more than one binary compound with chlorine is (2004)
35. Which of the following statement is true? (2002)
(a) Silicon exhibits 4 coordination number in its compound.
(b) Bond energy of F2 is less than Cl2.
(c) Mn(III) oxidation state is more stable than Mn(II) in aqueous state.
(d) Elements of 15th gp shows only + 3 and +5 oxidation states.
36. Which of the following order is wrong? (2002)
(a) NH3 < PH3 < ASH3 – acidic
(b) Li < Be < B < C – 1st IP
(c) Al203 < MgO < Na20 < K20 – basic
(d) Li+ < Na+ < K+ < Cs+ – ionic radius.
37. Correct order of 1st ionisation potential among following elements Be, B, C, N, O is (2001)
(a) B < Be < C < O < N
(c) Be < B < C < N < O
(d) Be < B < C < O < N
38. Which compound has planar structure? (2000)
39. Which of the following oxides is most acidic? (1999)
40. Which of the following phosphorus is the most reactive? (1999)
(a) Scarlet phosphorus
(b) White phosphorus
(c) Red phosphorus
(d) Violet phosphorus
41. Which of the following is used in the preparation of chlorine? (1999)
(a) Both Mn02 and KMn04
(b) Only KMn04
(c) Only Mn02
(d) Either Mn02 or KMn04
42. Repeated use of which one of the following fertilizers would increase the acidity of the soil? (1998)
(a) Ammonium sulphate
(b) Superphosphate of lime
(d) Potassium nitrate
43. Which of the following has the highest dipole moment? (1997)
44. The structural formula of hypophosphorous acid is (1997)
45. Which of the following bonds has the highest energy? (1996)
46. The basic character of hydrides of the V group elements decreases in the order (1996)
(a) NH3 > PH3 > ASH3 > SbH3
(b) SbH3 > ASH3 > PH3 > NH3
(c) SbH3 > PH3 > ASH3 > NH3
(d) NH3 > SbH3 > PH3 > ASH3
47. Among the following oxides, the lowest acidic is (1996)
48. Which of the following has the greatest electron affinity? (1996)
49. Which of the following represents calcium chlorite? (1996)
50. Reaction of sodium thiosulphate with iodine gives (1996)
(a) tetrathionate ion
(b) sulphide ion
(c) sulphate ion
(d) sulphite ion.
51. About 20 km above the earth, there is an ozone layer. Which one of the following statements about ozone and ozone layer is true? (1995)
(a) It is beneficial to us as it stops U.V. radiation
(b) Conversion of 03 to 02 is an endothermic reaction.
(c) Ozone has a triatomic linear molecule
(d) It is harmful as it stops userful radiation
52. The electronic configuration of an element is 1s² 2s² 2p6 3s2 3p3. What is the atomic number of the element, which is just below the above element in the periodic table? (1995)
53. Which of the following oxides of nitrogen is paramagnetic? (1994)
54. Which of the following displaces Br2 from an aqueous solution containing bromide ions? (1994)
55. Which of the following fluorides does not exist? (1993)
56. Which of the following species has four lone pairs of electrons? (1993)
57. Which of the following sets has strongest tendency to form anions? (1993)
(a) Ga, Ni, Tl
(b) Na, Mg, Al
(c) N, O, F
(d) V, Cr, Mn.
58. A solution of potassium bromide is treated with each of the following. Which one would liberate bromine? (1993)
(a) Hydrogen iodide
(b) Sulphur dioxide
59. Which of the following elements is extracted commercially by the electrolysis of an aqueous solution of its compound? (1993)
60. Number of electrons shared in the formation of nitrogen molecule is (1992)
61. Sugarcane on reaction with nitric acid gives (1992)
(a) C02 and S02
(c) 2HCOOH(two moles)
(d) no reaction.
62. Nitrogen is relatively inactive element because (1992)
(a) its atom has a stable electronic configuration
(b) it has low atomic radius
(c) its electronegativity is fairly high
(d) dissociation energy of its molecule is fairly high.
63. H3P02 is the molecular formula of an acid of phosphorus. Its name and basicity respectively (1992)
(a) phosphorous acid and two
(b) hypophosphorous acid and two
(c) hypophosphorous acid and one
(d) hypophosphoric acid and two.
64. Which of the following bonds will be most polar? (1992)
(a) N – Cl
65. Elements of which of the following groups will form anions most readily? (1992)
(a) Oxygen family
(b) Nitrogen family
(d) Alkali metals
66. Strongest hydrogen bonding is shown by (1992)
(c) hydrogen fluoride
(d) hydrogen sulphide.
67. When chlorine is passed over dry slaked lime at room temperature, the main reaction product is (1992)
68. In the manufacture of bromine from sea water, the mother liquor containing bromides is treated with (1992)
(a) carbon dioxide
(d) sulphur dioxide.
69. Which would quickly absorb oxygen? (1991)
(a) Alkaline solution of pyrogallol
(b) Cone. H2S04
(c) Lime water
(d) Alkaline solution of CuS04.
70. Oleum is (1991)
(a) castor oil
(b) oil of vitriol
(c) fuming H2S04
(d) none of these.
71. Aqueous solution of ammonia consists of (1991)
(d) NH4+ and OH– .
72. P205 is heated with water to give (1991)
(a) hypophosphorous acid
(b) phosphorous acid
(c) hypophosphoric acid
(d) orthophosphoric acid.
73. Basicity of orthophosphoric acid is (1991)
74. PCl3 reacts with water to form(1991)
75. PH4I + NaOH forms (1991)
76. Pure nitrogen is prepared in the laboratory by heating a mixture of (1991)
(a) NH4OH + NaCl
(b) NH4 NO3+NaCl
(c) NH4Cl + NaOH
77. The bleaching action of chlorine is due to (1991)
78. Which of the following statement is not correct for nitrogen? (1990)
(a) Its electronegativity is very high.
(b) d-orbitals are available for bonding.
(c) It is a typical non-metal.
(d) Its molecular size is small.
79. Which of the following compound does not exist? (1989)
80. Each of the following is true for white and red phosphorus except that they (1989)
(a) are both soluble in CS2
(b) can be oxidised by heating in air
(c) consist of the same kind of atoms
(d) can be converted into one another.
81. When orthophosphoric acid is heated to 600°C, the product formed is (1989)
82. Which one has the lowest boiling point? (1989)
83.Oxygen will directly react with each of the following elements except (1989)
84. The gases respectively absorbed by alkaline pyrogallol and oil of cinnamon are (1989)
(a) 03, CH4
(b) 02, 03
(d) N20, 03.
85. It is possible to obtain oxygen from air by fractional distillation because (1989)
(a) oxygen is in a different group of the periodic table from nitrogen
(b) oxygen is more reactive than nitrogen
(c) oxygen has higher b.p. than nitrogen
(d) oxygen has a lower density than nitrogen.
86. Bleaching powder reacts with a few drops of cone. HCl to give (1989)
(b) hypochlorous acid
(c) calcium oxide
87. Which of the following is a nitric acid anhydride? (1988)
88. Bleaching powder is obtained by the action of chlorine gas and (1988)
(a) dilute solution of Ca(OH)2
(b) concentrated solution of Ca(OH)2
(c) dry CaO
(d) dry slaked lime.