Campus Recruitment – Logical Reasoning – Direction Sense Test
Direction sense test question will be asked to check the candidates ability in deciding the shortest way within time. In this type of questions, we will see persons or things moving in East, West, North and South directions from an initial point.
There are 4 directions viz., East, West, North, South. And 4 cardinal directions viz., North-East, North¬West, South-East, South-West.
There are 4 types of problems which are frequently been asked in Campus Recruitment Tests.
1) Problems on Distances
2) Problems on clocks
3) Problems on Angles
4) Problems on Shadows
The diagram below illustrates the relevant positions of all the 8 directions.
Problems on directions can be solved in 2 ways.
(1) Diagrammatic way (2) Shortcut way
While solving the problems on directions, it is very important for you to remember the left and right directions of each direction, i.e. Left of the East is North. Right of East is South and so on.
Type-(l): Problems on Distances:
Steps for shortcut method:
1) If the directions are same, then add the distances.
2) If directions are opposite, then subtract the distances and write, the direction which has maximum value.
3) If directions are North-East, North-West, South-East or South-West then take both directions as single direction and calculate the distance using the formula.
Example: A man walk 15 km towards North. From there he walks 10 km towards East. Then 15 km towards South. Finally he walks towards East 12 km. How far and in which direction is he with reference to his starting point?
Explanation: Diagrammatic Method
The shortest distance is AD + DE = 10 + 12 = 22 km and the direction is East.
First he walked 15 km North, so write N(15).
Next he walked 10 km East, so write E(10) i.e N(15)E(10) and continue till the last statement.
Then we get, N(15) E(10) S(15) E(12)
Now apply the tips discussed above. i.e. add E(10)and E(12)= E(22)( same directions) and subtract N(15) and S(15)= 0 ( opposite directions)
.’. Finally he is in East direction with distance 22 km.
Example: A Boy started to school from his home. He walks 100 m in East. Then he walks 50 m to his left. From there he walks 150 in to his left again, finally he reached his school. How far and in which direction his school is located from his home?
Explanation: Diagrammatic Method:
Type-(II): Problems on Clocks:
Example: A clock shows 10:30 (am/pm). If its minute hand points to East, then its hour hand points to?
Explanation: Represent the given time in a clock
In the question it is given that, minute hand is pointing to East. But in the above diagram minute hand is pointing to South. So, rotate the directions diagram in such a way that the minute hand points to East. To do so, we have to rotate directions diagram 90° clock wise as shown below.
Now you see the hour hand in the clock and compare its direction with rotated directions diagram. Then we will come to know that the hour hand points SW direction.
Type-3: Problems on Angles:
Steps to Solve:
Example: A man is facing North, he turns to his right 90° Then he turns 180° in anti clock wise direction. Again he turns in the same direction 45°. Finally he turns 90° in the clock wise direction. In which direction is he facing now?
Explanation: Diagrammatic Method:
Indicate the movements of the person according to the given question.
Numbers in the above diagram indicates his movements from starting point to ending point. So, finally he is facing in North-West direction.
Shortcut Method: First the given object (man) moves in right hand side 90°, so write +90°. Next the man moves 180° in anti clock wise, so write -180°. Next he turns 45° in the same direction i.e. in his previous direction, so write -45°. Finally he turns 90° in clockwise direction, so write +90°. Now, by combining all the above four we get, Direction = 90°-180°- 45°+ 90°= – 45°.
(minus indicates anti clock wise direction)
So move 45° in anti clock wise direction from his starting point.
i.e. 45° anti clockwise from North = North-West direction. So, the man is facing NW direction finally.
Type-(4): Problems on shadows:
Example: One morning after sunrise P went for a walk,he found that his friend Q is coming in opposite direction. P observed that, the shadow of Q is exactly
falling to his right. Form which direction is P coming?
Explanation: Given that the shadow is falling to the right of P. So, locate P in the North. Then Q will be in South. So, we can say,P is coming from North direction
1) A girl is going to her friend’s house. She went 45m West. Next she went 60m to her right, then she again took right and walked 75m. From there she went in her left direction and walked 30m to reach her friend’s house. How far her friend’s house is located with reference to her starting point,
a) 205 m b) 305 m c) 300 m d) 40√ 10 m e) 30 √10 m
Explanation: Using shortcut method:
2) A bus started from a bus station. It went 5 km in the East direction and then it took left and went 6 km. After that the bus went 10 km in the right, then took 6 km right again. Finally the bus went in the left turn 8 km. How far and in which direction the bus is now from it’s starting point?
a) 23 km, East b) 44 km, East c) 32 km, South
d) 23 km, South e) 43 km, South
Explanation: E(5) E(10) E(8)
= E(5+10+8) = E23.
The bus is in the East direction, 23 km.
3) A watch shows 4:30 (am/pm). If it’s minute hand points to West, then its hour hand will point to?
a) East b) West c) South – East
d) South – West e) North – East
Explanation: By rotating direction diagram in 90° anti clockwise, the minute hand will point West as well as hour hand will point South-West.
4) A Boy is facing South. He went 45° in the clockwise direction. From there he went 90° in anti-clockwise direction. Finally he went 180° in clockwise direction. In which direction is he facing now?
a) South-East b) South-West c) North-West
d) North-East e) South
Explanation:θ = 45°-90°+180° → θ =135°
.’. He is facing 135° clockwise direction from his starting direction South, i.e. North-West.
5) Ravi and Raju are friends. One day in the morning after sunrise they started from their home to meet each other. In a street they had seen to each other as they are walking in the opposite directions. Ravi observed that, the shadow of Raju had fallen to his left. Towards which direction is Ravi walking?
a) East b) West c) South d) North e) South-West
Explanation: Shadow of Raju had fallen to the left of Ravi. So, locate Ravi at South. Now, we can say Ravi is walking towards North direction.
1) A man walks 8 km towards North. From there he turns right and walks 7 km. Again he turns right and walks 8 km. Now he turns left and walks 10 km. Again he turns left and walks 8 km. Now he turns right and walks 9 km. Again he turns right and walks 8 km. Find the distance and direction he is from the starting point?
a) 30 km, West b) 44 km, East c) 26 km, East
d) 2 km, East e) 30 km, East
2) A man walks 10 km towards South and then turns to the right. After walking 5 km he turns to the left and walks 6 km. Finally he turns to his right and walks 4 km. Now in which direction is he from starting point?
a) East b) South c) North-West
d) South-West e) West
3) Praveen a bank employee, goes to his office by walk daily. When he started walking, he was facing West. He turned to his right and walked 30m. Then he turned right and walked 20m. Then he turned to his right and walked 40m. Then he turned left and walked 15m. Finally he turned left and walked 10m. How far and in which direction he is now with reference to his starting point?
a) 105 m, East b) 35 m, East c) 53 m, South
d) 35 m, North e) 53 m, North
4) Two buses starts from the opposite places of two different bus stations, the distance between the stations is 200 km. The 200 km distance there is a main road. First bus runs for 35 km and takes a right turn and then runs 30 km. After that it turns left and runs another 40 km, from these it takes direction back to reach the main road. In the mean time, due to a minor break down the other bus has run only 50 km along the main road. What would be the distance between two buses at this present point?
a) 75 km b) 200 km c) 90 km d) 10 km e) 110 km
5) Shyam started from his house towards West. After 30 m, he turned to his right and walked 15 m, then he turned to his left and walked 15 m. After that he turned to his left and walked 40 m. Now he turned to his left and walked 7 m. Finally he turned to his left. In which direction is Shyam walking now?
a) East b) West c) North d) South
e) Can’t be determined
6) Raghu is facing towards East, he turned to his right and walked 40 m, then he turned right 30 m, after that he walked 20 m to his right then he turned 30 m to his right again. Finally he stopped walking. How far and in which direction is Raghu from his starting point?
a) 120 m East b) 30 m East c) 20 m West
d) 20 m South e) 40 m West
7) A school boy rides the bicycle towards his school which is in the North from his present point. He travelled 2 km after turning left, before that he travelled 3 km. Again he turned right and travelled 4 km. Then he turned right and travelled 5 km, from there he turned his right and travelled 4 km after that he took right and travelled 1 km. Finally he turned to his left and travelled some distance and reached to a point which is exactly at East direction from his starting point. Find the distance travelled by him in the final turn and find the distance between the starting point and the destination.
a) 3 km, 2 km b) 6 km, 5 km c) 7 km, 6 km
d) 6 km, 4 km e) none of these
8) For a competitive exam only 4 members attended. The examiner made them to sit in such a way that P sits West of Q and South of R, who sits East of S. Determine the direction of S from Q.
a) North b) North-West c) North-East
d) South-East e) cannot be determined
9) A man walks 2 km towards West, then he turns 3 km of to his left. From there he walks 10 km to his right. Finally he walks 2 km to his left and stops there. How far he is from the starting point?
a) 17 km b) 10 km c) 18 km d) 20 km e) none
10) Praveen is going to his office by car, he started his journey in the East direction. He went 10 km before turning to his right, then he went 5 km before turning to his right again. From there he went 5 km before turning to his right. Finally he travelled 15 km. Find the distance between his source and destination points as well as find the direction of destination with reference to the source point.
a) 15 km, North-East b) 5 √5, South c) 3√5, South d) 2√5, South
e) 5√5, North-East
11) An Insurance company agent searching for his client’s house. He went 80 m in the West before turning to his left. Then he went 60 m before turning to his left. Then he went 20 m before turning to his left again. Finally he went 140 m in his present direction. Finally he could find his client’s house. Find the direction and distance between his starting point and the house of his client.
a) 300 m, West b) 200 m, East c) 100 m, North-West d) 100 m, South e) cannot be determined
12) After walking 8 km, Sachin turned to the right and then walked 6 km. After that he turned to his left and walked 12 km. In the end, he was moving towards the North. From which direction did Sachin started his journey?
a)East b) West c) South
d) none of these e) cannot be determined
13) 5 Poles P, Q, R, S and T are located in such a way that T is to the East of Q. Q is to the South of R. P is to the West of Q. S is to the North of P and ∠RSP is equals to 90°. Then find the relative position of T from R?
a) North b) South c) West
d) North e) cannot be determined
14) 6 poles A, B, C, D, E and F are located in such a way that B is to the North of A and to the West of E. C is to the South of E and to the North of D. A is to the West of C. F is to the East of both B and E and North – East to the C. In which direction of B is D located?
a) North – East b) South c) South – West
d) South – East e) none of these
15) Kiran started his walk from his home to office. He started in the South direction and walked 6 m. From there he took 4 m right. Again he took right and walked 4 m before turning 8 m to his right. Then he took his left and walked 4 m, from there he took his right and walked 5 m, there after he turned to his left and walked 3 m. Then he took his left and walked 9 m and reached his office. What is the shortest distance from his home to office: And in which direction from his home, is his office located?
a) 5 m, North b) 2 m, East c) 2 m, South
d) 5 m, South e) cannot be determined
16) One morning Kavitha and Mamatha were talking to each other face to face at a crossing. If Kavitha’s shadow was exactly to the right of Mamatha, in which direction was Mamatha facing?
a) North – East b) South – East c) North
d) South e) North – West
17) If South becomes East, East becomes North and North becomes West and so on. What will West become?
a) North b) South c) North – East
d) South – East e) none of these
18) If North-East becomes South-East, North becomes West, South-East becomes South-West and West becomes South and so on. Then what North-West will become?
a) South-West b) South-East c) North-East
d) South e) East
19) If East becomes North-West, North-West becomes south, South becomes North – East and So on. Then what will North becomes?
a) South – West b) South c) East d) West
e) cannot be determined
20) One morning after sunrise, Raju stand between two poles namely PI and P2. Raju is facing PI and he turned 180° clock wise and his face is exactly opposite to P2. He observed that the shadow of P2 is exactly falling to his right. In which direction does P2 is located?
a) North b) East c) South
d) West e) cannot be determined
21) One day Madhav bought a new wall clock. He kept on the table in such a way that at 3 pm, hours hand points to North. Then in which direction does the minute hand points at 4:30 pm?
a) South b) East c) North d) North-East e) none
22) In a house wall clock and mirror are located to the two walls which are exactly opposite to each other. One day while going to office I had seen into the mirror. I could find that the time in the mirror is 3:00 am and the minute hand of the clock shows North. Then what is the actual time and in which direction the our hand points in the original clock.
a) 3 am, East b) 6 am, East c) 9 am, West
d) 6 pm, East e) cannot be determined
23) A watch shows 10:30 pm and its hour hand points North, then in which direction it’s minute hand points at 01:30 am?
a) North b) South c) South – East
d) South – West e) none
24) One evening before sunset Raju and Rashid were talking to each other face to face. If Raju’s shadow was exactly to the right of Rashid, in which direction was Rashid facing?
a) East b) West c) North-East
d) South-East e) North
25) One morning after sunrise A and B went for a walk and they are walking opposite to each other. A found that B’s shadow is falling neither to the left nor to the right of C who is walking in same path. In which direction (towards) does B is walking?
a)North b)South c)East d)West e)Data Inadequate
26) One morning after sunrise two friends sat in a park in such a way that their faces are not opposite but their backs are opposite to each other. The park watchman observed that the shadow of the first person is falling exactly to the right of the second person. In which direction does the second person is facing?
a) South b) East c) North d) West
e) Cannot be determined
27) Kalpana is facing North, she turned 45° clockwise then she turned 90° anticlockwise. From here she turned 135° in the same direction, then she turned 90° in clock wise direction. In which direction does she facing now?
a) South b) West c) South-East d) North e) East
28) One day Charan is going to school. He started walking in North direction, after walking some distance, he turned 45° clockwise, then 180° in the same direction. From there he turned 270° in anticlockwise direction. Finally in which direction is charan facing?
a) North-East b) North c) North-West
d) none of these e) cannot be determined
29) Kavitha is facing North-East, from there she turned 45° in the clockwise, then she turned 90° in the same direction. Now she turned 135° in the opposite direction of her present direction, then she turned 180° in the opposite direction of her present direction. Then she turned 90° in the anti clock wise direction and again she turned 90° in the same direction. Find her final direction in which she is facing?
a) North b) North-East c) South-East
d) South e) East
30) A traffic police is facing to East, he turned 35° in clockwise direction, After that he turned 10° in the same direction, from there he turned 180° to his left hand side. In which direction is he facing now?
a) North b) North-East c) South
d) South-East e) Cannot be determined
Leave a Reply