Tips & Techniques in English For competitive Exams – CLOZE TEST
Cloze Test usually require you to choose the correct choice out of four possibilities.
A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text), where the participant is asked to replace the missing words. Cloze tests require the ability to understand context and vocabulary in order to identify the correct words or type of words that belong in the deleted passages of a text.
HOW TO TACKLE A CLOZE TEST
- Read the text through trying to understanding the general meaning.
- Look at each missing word gap and try to imagine what the correct word should be.
- Decide which part of speech (adjective, noun, gerund, etc.) needs to be used to fill each gap.
- Read the text again, trying to fill a gap as you come to it by imagining what the correct answer should be.
- Read the text another time, this time choose the correct answer from the five answers given.
- If you are unsure of any given answer, try reading the sentence with each of the possibilities.
to eliminate the obvious false choices.
- Always think about the overall meaning of the text (i.e., whether the text is negative, positive, etc.) to make sure that your answer choice fits the context.
- Trust your intuition. If you feel a word is right instinctively, it probably is correct.